General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

power wires different, what is the best method

Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 AM
slim

Default power wires different, what is the best method

Hi everyone
I have attached a photo to illustrate my problem.
I want to power my video transmitter and my OSD with a 1000mah battery, unfortunately the wires are all different sizes.

My concerns are this:
What is the best way to connect all three without losing or overpowering the system?
Which are the better connectors to go with?

Side Note: I have confidence concerns with the transmitter, the wires are sooo small, half the size of the feed coming from my gopro camera. I am I going to lose image quality? Should I break open the transmitter and increase the size of the wire?

any suggestions?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	POWER TO EAGLE TREE 2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	844.7 KB
ID:	161934  
Old 08-16-2012, 06:41 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by slim View Post
Hi everyone
I have attached a photo to illustrate my problem.
I want to power my video transmitter and my OSD with a 1000mah battery, unfortunately the wires are all different sizes.

My concerns are this:
What is the best way to connect all three without losing or overpowering the system?
Which are the better connectors to go with?

Side Note: I have confidence concerns with the transmitter, the wires are sooo small, half the size of the feed coming from my gopro camera. I am I going to lose image quality? Should I break open the transmitter and increase the size of the wire?

any suggestions?
Thanks
Lets see. Your transmitter is rated for 800 milliwatts. That's 0.8 watts. Assuming your transmitter is rated for a 3 cell Lipo, that would be a voltage of 3 cells times 3.5 volts per cell, or about 10.5 Volts DC. Since current equals watts divided by volts, I=P/E, 0.8/10.5 or about 75 milliamperes.

So, wire size is not an issue, since even #24 wire can handle an amp or so without issue. The question is about the four wires coming out of your transmitter. Do you have a wiring diagram that shows what all four wires are to be connected to?

That transmitter connector kind of looks like a balance connector from a three cell LiPo battery. If so, I'd try to find a matching connector from your local hobby shop to plug into it.

And, again, you need the wiring diagram on your 800 mw transmitter to hook up everything. Without the wiring diagram, I'd never touch it, and I've got near 50 years experience in this kind of stuff.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
slim

Default thanks, I will look into it

A data sheet did not come with it when I bought it.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by slim View Post
A data sheet did not come with it when I bought it.
Can you find anything in google???
Old 08-17-2012, 03:19 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Yep, You need a wiring diagram, the wire size is not important, as long as its the same size as the video transmitter wire or larger, the video transmitter will only draw what it needs, in this case it will only be millivolts, but using a wire thats the next size larger will the best thing to do if it is going to be a distance from the battery, the XT60 connector thats on the Battery is a great battery connector, its a 60 amp connector and a lot easier to plug and remove than the Dean connectors. here is a harness that you can use for a power break out on your battery. also i would use a 1 AMP inline fuse going to power the Video Transmitter only.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...llel_1pc_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Adapters.html
Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Info from HK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mera_NTSC.html

FPV-Nut(78)
Wires are not correct where the plug into the camera look close at the circuit board where the camera plug is its V-out,neg,postive the plug wiring is postive,,neg,V-out so the only way you could have had it working is if you forced the plug in backwards.Hobbyking made a mistake and I hope they fix this.
Was this the best answer? YES | NO DYORD(1)
Yeah, I noticed that too.. But I have corrected it already. Just not sure how the pots work though. If it's for the tuning or whatsoever?

Richard(2)

My TV said NO SIGNAL. The tiny 3 pin connector at the camera has a white, red and black wire. The red and white were assembled wrong. A close look at the camera circuit board shows a ( ), a (-), and a (TVOU). The white wire needs to go to TVOU and the red wire needs to go to the( ). Now I get a good picture on my TV, proving the camera, transmitter and receiver are O.K. I'm lucky the switched connection didn't damage anything. I'm running 12 volts on all three of these components during testing, but will use a 3S LiPo (11.1v) in the
Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=did7...layer_embedded#!
Old 08-25-2012, 04:39 AM
slim

Thanks for all your help!

I have ordered some adaptors from Hobby King, so I will see how I
can put them together.