Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Brewster 30" 9mm Combat Fighter "With Plans"

Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Hey guys the Brewster looks good. Nice and loud that is for sure.

Some of the things I will suggest on your next build is the hinge areas on yours wing looks to be cut in a different fashion then whats in plans. Of course this is a part you do how you want but I suggest this. If you cut with the one angle you will find it takes only taping on one side to make the hinge, also the air will move over the joint much smoother.

The plane looks great gramps I would only round up the rudder area and fuse to make it more efficent through the air, I think you will find in a head wind the Brewster will jiggle lets say because of those blunt surfaces, this is when they aerodynamics will show up. Specially if she is powered with the 2409-12 and 11.1 lipo, this motor realy makes the Brewster move nice. Just a suggestion for better performance hope it helps.

Heres a drawing I did real quick to give the idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brewster_hinge001.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	100890
Old 05-18-2009, 04:05 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Hello boyz and girlz...got time to finish up more videos. Sorry for the delay work and family has been a load.

PART 14
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/4691598[/media]

PART 15
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/4706795[/media]

PART 16
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/4706883[/media]

I also got a chance to have some fun in the Brewster yesterday. The one being built in this thread is finally dead..or lets say will be replaced. It still flies, but not well. Heres some video of flying in winds..and then winds we shouldnt fly in, but the Brewster packs a punch and has a great deal of fun in wind. Enjoy.

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/4707280[/media]

More videos coming.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Default More Videos

Few videos

Seventeen
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3btVmmT5f7g[/media]

Eighteen
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKu48g5DKK4[/media]

Nineteen
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxpbcifQhQ[/media]
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Afew photos of the new one.

Name:	DSC07902.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	101441

Name:	DSC07905.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	101442

Name:	DSC07907.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	101443

Name:	DSC07908.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	101444

Name:	DSC07910.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	101445
Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Very nice, looks good.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Thanks James glad somebodies looking lol.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Still here lipo and your new one looks sweet. Flew my new cut Brewster funny for some reason I had problems getting her to climb think I need some down on the motor nothing is binding on the controls with up input still wanted to head into the ground. ya it is loud be no excuse not knowing the oreintation of this one.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

LoL I'm still here..don't take me wrong I was just glad someone noticed is all. With the scratch build #3 going on and all the cool little birds, its hard to get a spot..hmmm I need to build me some plane to I guess.

I would check my CG maybe or give it a bit of up elevator. The motor pointing down if Im not wrong is to stop climb on full power??? I have notice that in trimming the Brewster on ground alittle up elevator is need for lift out on take off. The brewster does want to hug the ground when you first throw her, I prepare by giving some elevator up. If your not climbing thou I would put that elevator servo under some stress and check it..the Brewster has no problem flippin over with just a little elevator..maybe the servo is not working properly...this Im not sure. This is where I wish others would get video.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:07 AM
ozone

I have been watching this build also and it will probably be one of the next projects.
Great job.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:44 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Ya on the second flight moved the battery back a little, alittle to much the tail just wanted to drop tail heavy fly's once had to fix the fusalage. If the weather is nice will take it out tomorow and try again. Servo is good so i will try with more up on take off. Ya I need to get a video camera also would need some one to run it.
Can you ship your video guy up here for a little while I'm willing to split shipping with you.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:56 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

LoL...my camera guy. Here is something you can try before flight. You ever static balance test your model? This is where you hold the tip of the wing on CG. The plane will hang one wing down. With your radio power up the motor till you have the model hoovering while still holding the wing tip on CG. At hoover the model will either float or it will pull a certian direction. If you find it pulls up or down correct the issue with sub trims on your radio. The model will fly good if you static them to float with no pulling effect.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:05 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Hey lipo thanks for the new tip never tried that one before I'll give it a try. I guese that's a no on the camerea guy.LOL
Old 05-22-2009, 04:05 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by LipoPilot View Post
LoL I'm still here..don't take me wrong I was just glad someone noticed is all. With the scratch build #3 going on and all the cool little birds, its hard to get a spot..hmmm I need to build me some plane to I guess.
Yep you should enter the contest Capt. I know you have plenty of ideas and I know the time limit would not be a problem for ya...what are you waiting on .
Old 05-22-2009, 04:10 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

I dont have camera guy anymore...I pick by standers who don't look like they will run off with my camera.

You will find the static test takes away the dives and climbs on launching...let me see if I can do a demo of static test video.

Last edited by LipoPilot; 05-22-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:31 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Default I'm full of ideas

Originally Posted by LipoPilot View Post
I dont have camera guy anymore...I pick by standers who don't look like they wont run off with my camera.
I have an easy solution for your lack of a camera guy. Have your project done by June 13th and bring it with you when you come down to fly at the Bald Eagle club . And I promise not to run off with your camera .
Old 05-22-2009, 04:34 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Hey good idea..thats means I can leave temp camera girl at home lol. Naw I'm coming to that, cant wait. Ok made video for gramps..be back.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Here ya go Gramps...hope it helps.

Static Test Your Plane
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppRVSCY5A3U[/media]
Old 05-22-2009, 10:22 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Hey lipo thanks alot I've heard the phrase static testing didn't know what it intailed ya you cleared it up for me. I've done the glide, CG balance and balance out the wings if there out of balance. Never did this one. Hope some other new people stumble across this and learn this trick.
P.S. Mother earth just wants to embrace the brewster and give her a hug. She needs to be a little more gentle though, and tree's don't get me started on trees.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

LoL, I'm not even sure if static testing is the right name but it's how it was put to me. I just know its simulates some flight and allows you to change the planes angle of attack. I only know a plane that is tested this way has always made good flight...one I didnt test become dirt models in seconds. Honestly I think you only have a balance issue once you get that worked out Im sure you will be cruising.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:20 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Yup I'm heading out as soon as a battery is charged what a difference doing this wanted to pull down changed the motor mount a little tried again just needed a little up trim, adjusted the ailerons a little. Report back in awhile. No more dirt flying for this brewster.
Mother earth can go hug someone else's plane.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:10 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

If you did the static test and found it diving and you fixed it...your plane will fly now.

I also forgot to mention you want to make sure that when doing this test the plane is CG correct or the test results will be wrong. Also make sure your holding the planes wing on the CG to. Either way if the plane is not balanced on CG stand or held at the CG point the results will be wrong. To me the static test simply puts air over the control surfaces and tells you before flight what they will do once airborn

On your flight Gramps...I see all air man GOOD LUCK.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:20 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Lipo what a huge difference! Ran the first battery had to give a little trim down had to trim the ailerons to, gave me a little fit at first still learning with these trying to gain some height and keep it level was the toughest part. Once the aileron's were trimed flew great. Kept reminding myself to be gentle with the controls she responds quickly to any input. Second battery same results more fun.
Thanks man. Fly this some more this weekend I should be confortable enough to maiden my 4 channel small stick by Tom Hunt.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:43 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Yes the Brewster is quick on the draw, one reason I feel its the death of anyother combat plane but thats my personal feeling. As I have progressed in flight the funner the Brewster becomes, now Im able to whip around on a dime and make moves months ago would have been sure death. But with that said the Brewster is a great training tool to those bigger better planes.

Congrats on the two lipos...thats a big accomplishment..just go back and read this post if you dont believe me lol. Another successful flyer thats what I'm all about. Thanks for choosing my plane.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:56 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

And thanks again for sharing the plans with all of us. Just static tested the slow stick got her trimed out. Nothing like a confidence boost having 2 good flights and bring home the brewster in one piece be flying the loud paint off of her the rest of the weekend.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:42 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

I suggest flying Brewster all ya can before your favorite plane..trust me. As you said gramps..fly the colors off.

Quick Reply: Brewster 30" 9mm Combat Fighter "With Plans"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11882 seconds with 11 queries