Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Baby Fly E

Old 01-24-2009, 11:18 PM
bubbafly

Question Baby Fly E

Hey All

Read the other looooong thread on the Baby Fly E, but I have a differrent approach I'm taking with mine. I never did get a good answer on how the Baby Fly flew with just a spoiler and rudder/elevator controls.

What I am doing is taking the center section of the wing and removing all except the center rib out to the first rib on each side. It will have the same dihedral, it will just be a shorter WS ( 45" vs stock 58" ). Also will shorten the fuse (tailboom) to 30". I am hoping it will be a nice relaxing Park floater that's easy to transport.

My question is: Will this plane fly R/E okay or should I put the ailerons back on it? I am right at the point where I can do this or go ahead and fill in with balsa sheets and shape the trailing edge.

I welcome all opinions. Thanks in advance.

Tim

P.S. I'll try to post a few build pics as I go along
Old 01-25-2009, 12:06 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

If you want to save some weight, leave the ailerons off of it, and make your rudder bigger to compensate, extend it a little, wider, it should work fine, as long as you get the CG right and check the lateral balance to make it a smooth flier, from wing tip to wing tip, hope that helps, chellie
Old 02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
sellonoid

Originally Posted by bubbafly View Post
Hey All

Read the other looooong thread on the Baby Fly E, but I have a differrent approach I'm taking with mine. I never did get a good answer on how the Baby Fly flew with just a spoiler and rudder/elevator controls.

My question is: Will this plane fly R/E okay or should I put the ailerons back on it? I am right at the point where I can do this or go ahead and fill in with balsa sheets and shape the trailing edge.

I welcome all opinions. Thanks in advance.

Tim

P.S. I'll try to post a few build pics as I go along
In this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post11151884
in post #90, he didn't exactly say he regretted building his with spoilers and no ailerons, but he did have some challenges from doing so. I'm building mine with ailerons and conventional tail versus DLG tail.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 PM
bubbafly

Thanks Chellie and Sellonoid

One for r/e , one for ailerons. Guess I'll flip a coin, since there appears to be no compelling reason to go one way or the other.

I am not the artist the other gentleman in the long thread is, and I butt glued ( 2 hour epoxy ) my wing panels, instead of making the wing support boxes and gluing in wing supports. Should I reinforce the wings with CF strip or will fiberglass cloth and some more epoxy be enough?

This is going to be a park flyer type sailplane not a warm/hotliner, maybe the butt glued wing panel joints will be enough?

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Baby Fly Wing.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	92535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center section.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	92536  
Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 PM
sellonoid

Hey All

Read the other looooong thread on the Baby Fly E, but I have a differrent approach I'm taking with mine.
Can you tell me where the looooong thread is? I searched this forum and the parent forum and didn't find it.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 02-05-2009, 12:03 PM
bubbafly

Originally Posted by sellonoid View Post
Can you tell me where the looooong thread is? I searched this forum and the parent forum and didn't find it.

Thanks,
Jim
Here it is: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739083

Tim
Old 02-05-2009, 01:58 PM
sellonoid

Oh, okay. That is the same thread I quoted earlier too. I thought it was on wattflyer.
Thanks