Combat Electric combat discussion in here.

Tulsa Combat Special

Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

[quote=LipoPilot;586022]I'm back on the TCS mission Did i miss a memo or something...you left LoL Lots of work...time mainly for testing, which is what your doing now, and putting it all together...good foam planes dont fly over night they say.

As far as flying the TCS without a spar, I would think it needs it no matter what..mid airs, no spar, crash landing. On more then one occasion the spars saved the plane....like here..watch these wings baby...thank you carbon fiber.

Yeah, I knew I should have put a spar in it but thought maybe it would be strong enough with the kf strips top and bottom. Guess next time I will listen to that voice inside.

Oh James I did get the 24" slostick flying, she's pretty tight.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

[quote=j4ck4;586030]
Originally Posted by LipoPilot View Post
I'm back on the TCS mission Did i miss a memo or something...you left LoL Lots of work...time mainly for testing, which is what your doing now, and putting it all together...good foam planes dont fly over night they say.

As far as flying the TCS without a spar, I would think it needs it no matter what..mid airs, no spar, crash landing. On more then one occasion the spars saved the plane....like here..watch these wings baby...thank you carbon fiber.

Yeah, I knew I should have put a spar in it but thought maybe it would be strong enough with the kf strips top and bottom. Guess next time I will listen to that voice inside.

Oh James I did get the 24" slostick flying, she's pretty tight.
Oh I got videos of planes I did...well they lacked that meesage in my head...can you say in flight foam splinters
Old 03-30-2009, 02:29 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Oh yes

I can also say 23" 1/4" fiberglass rod for spar on this TCS. May need to move my CG way back but this has been layingarouind here far too long. Now at least a piece of it will fly. Even if I have to put my park 450 on this thing.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I'm back on the TCS mission Did i miss a memo or something...you left LoL
Unfortunately I suffer from Airplane Attention Deficit Disorder. I always have more projects going than I have time for :o.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:45 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Unfortunately I suffer from Airplane Attention Deficit Disorder. I always have more projects going than I have time for :o.
Is that a side effect of being addicted lol
Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Is that a side effect of being addicted lol
It's like the chicken and the egg...who knows which came first .
Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

I broke her good yesterday James. Again nothing to do with the design, I had too much throw on the ailerons and you know what can happen if thats the case. But, one thing I can say good even though she hit the ground hard enough to snap the cf spar the motor was mounted on the wind only has a small dent in one end. Can you say 1/4" FG is hard stuff? LOL! Guess I need to cut out another fuse and lay it up. Idid get a maiden this morning on my second F22 with the kf airloil. She flew straight out of my hand, like a sweet little bird.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Got the repairs finished. I used the fuse that you had given me James and finished her up just now. If the wind is actually at 0 in the morning I wil probably give her a toss, if not I'll probably see you at the field Saturday if the wind dies. If its like usairnet says and blowing gale force all day I won't be out there. I'll try and get some video of the second maiden in the morning if my cameraman is awake. Thanks again for a great plane, if I tear it up this time I'm gonna build Gene Bonds undercambered P51 again to learn the aileron thing.
Oh, I got the 48" SloStick finished maidened her this morning. Off the ground in about 4ft.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Sounds like you're having fun Jack and that's all that matters . It looks like I may be going camping this weekend, I'm trying to get out of it. I think it's too early to go but the boss is almost insisting upon it so...looks like I'm going camping :o.

I have another TCS almost ready to go. I am using a bigger Kf step this time and a smaller step on the bottom. It looks similar to how Jack did it. I've also moved the wing back a half inch, we'll see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:24 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Hey Smoke found out what those proturbances on the bottom rear of the P47 fuse are, check this link. http://www.aviation-history.com/republic/p47.html
Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Hey thanks for the info Jack...I think I'm still gonna call them speed bumps though .

Sorry I had to run out so quick Saturday but I had a job I had to be at by 1:00. USAirnet looks good for tomorrow, you want to meet up and I can let you fly my TCS?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Got in another short flight this evening, did hit the ground hard once but, nothing broken. Needed to change the throws on the ailerons, got it done see you tomorrow afternoon.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Got my second TCS up and flying as I posted over on the unclub thread. Flew out 3 packs saturday and sunday morning. Actually 1 sat, 2 sun. She flies good, Scott was out there Saturday with one he had picked up the night before at guys. if we would have had some streamer we could of flown combat LOL. Wouldn't of been much fun in the wind and only 2 of us. Think I'm gonna swing by the field after while and see if anyone is out there since there is no wind today.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 PM
krysallen

j4ck4,
What plans are you using, I like that airfoil design and might have to try one out. I am finishing my first combat plane as we speak but already see some things I want to do differntly.
-Krys
Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Originally Posted by krysallen View Post
j4ck4,
What plans are you using, I like that airfoil design and might have to try one out. I am finishing my first combat plane as we speak but already see some things I want to do differntly.
-Krys
Got the plans from SmokeJohnson AKA James of the Unclub, it is a P47 with two ply fuse, 28" ws. Come by the unclub field some Saturday or Sunday morning. There is usually at least on TCS out there, but several of the guys fly comba if they can get 2 or more combat planes on site at a time.
Me, I'm flying a Radian most of the time now and a YardStick. Got a BluBaby 42" KFM3 on the table I'm building. Normally on the TCS I just add a layer of foam to the top side of the wing to create a semi KFM2 foil.
I'll pm you my phone # you can give me a shout sometime when your free to fly and maybe we can meet at the unclub field or somewhere and fly for a while.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:41 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Krys, I have decided the TCS is too complicated with too many parts. It works good for combat but it is kind of a pain to build. I have started flying the Fast & Furious and like it much better. You can check it out here.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47556
Old 07-23-2009, 03:53 PM
krysallen

James,
your flying that for combat, or just flying it?
-Krys
Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

For combat and it does great.

Disclaimer: These are pics from the guys in Muncie flying combat.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Well James

I've had a good two days flying. Stopped on my way out to the prison at Cushing yesterday evening and the shaft pulled out of the motor on my Radian. This morning the wings failed on the Yard Stick, carbob fiber shattered at the wing mount points. I know weird huh?
Guess I'm gonna have to finish this BB quickly so I'll have something to fly this weekend. Or, I may have to put some servos on the F&F I have sitting on the shelf.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:29 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Dang Jack, hate to hear that. I take it the Yard Stik probably didn't come out of it in very good shape?

How about that Radian, seems you have had a lot of trouble with the motor, firewall, prop on that thing. I wonder if there is something simple that keeps getting overlooked?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:17 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

YStick needs new wings I think, broke the motor mount not the stick this time the plastic. May try and put the wing off my old MUS on it if I can figure out a mount system. or maybe the one I had built for the slow stick build Chellie posted.
The Radian I don't know, Dave at Action said several people have had problems with the plastic belled 480 from eflite. He recommended buying a metal belled one of course that puts $65.00 in his pocket.
I don't know what to do right now, spent the afternoon on my stomach in my sons attic at about 120 degrees trying to repair someones stupid ceiling fan install.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

An attic is no place to be this time of year Jack .
Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Yeah I know, kinda stupid HUH? Maybe, I can talk you into helping me setup this F&F I have started, if you have time. LOL, when does a carpenter have time to spare, HUH?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:32 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Man no one has posted over here in a while, I think I just may have to build another one of these great flying P47's. Especially since I may be picking up a couple more rx's for my dx6i. Gonna try and do some horse trading, since I have something I know one of the lhs's needs. Divinity is coming along nicely, probably going to fly this one for the next few weeks and take my time and build one to maiden at holdenville.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

The TCS would be a cool plane to build with a 3S set up just to have to fly but it just takes too long to build for combat. It's built like a tank .

Quick Reply: Tulsa Combat Special

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13560 seconds with 11 queries