General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

ParkFlyer Fun Fly Competition

Old 01-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Default ParkFlyer Fun Fly Competition

Let's try this again.

Does anyone think there would be any interest in standardizing a parkflyer sized fun fly competition? I noticed the AMA has a SIG for this type of invent, but the planes that win/typically compete are glow powered.

I was thinking we could come up with 5 standard events that would happen at all the events.

Does anyone believe this would be something they would be interested in? I posted this in the PF forum, but got very little response. I was hoping to garner some more interest here.

Here are three events I came up with so far.

Here are the events I came up with so far.
1 CLIMB 'N' GLIDE: Pilot is given 20 seconds after takeoff to climb high as possible. Landing must be on the runway in a designated target zone. ESCs must be set to brake mode. Longest time to land wins. Bonus points are awarded the closer the plane is to the center of the target.

2. Table Top Touch –N– Go: Pilot is given 3 minutes to make 3 touch and go landings on a 4' x 8' supported landing platform. At least two wheels must touch down on the tabletop. If the pilot does not make 3 touches in the three minutes a zero score is given.

3. BALLOON BUST: 4 balloons are suspended with crepe paper at alternating heights in a straight line down the runway. Heights are; 4, 8, 12, and 16 feet. Pilot has to break at least two balloons in that row of four to score the minimum amount of points. More than two in a row will increase points. (Revert to event #6 if winds dictate)

4. LIMBO: Use a thirty foot crepe paper ribbon strung between two poles. Planes fly under crepe paper streamer, cuts or ground touches disqualify. Streamer is lowered 1' after each round until only one plane qualifies. Points are awarded for 1, 2, and third place finishes.

5. Koosh Ball Drop Everyone gets a Dixie cup, a popsicle stick and some rubber bands to mount on their plane (most shove the stick through the cup and then rubber band it around the fuselage behind the engine). Remember your CG!!! It's best to make one that fits your plane prior to the event. A target is drawn on the runway in 3 circles centered on a bull's eye. 5 points are awarded for the outer circle, 10 points for next in, 15 points for smallest circle, and 25 points if you can hit the bull's eye. Everyone gets 3 good drops (i.e. if you lose it on take off or not over the mowed field it doesn't count (Alternate Source for Koosh Balls)

I'm trying to figure out some events that will be competitive for those guys that don't own profile planes. Profile planes like the Skeeter line makes events like these too easy. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank

Last edited by Murocflyer; 01-10-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Limbo is my favorite.

And the real fun is having a tow plane pulling a 50 ft streamer and 6-10 planes behind trying to cut it first.

Talk about mid air crashes, but seriously fun.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I've been having a lot of fun trying to knock the water bottle off the cup, inverted. I haven't done it...yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-afamily5 094 (Small).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	89859   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-afamily5 098 (Small).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	89860  
Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Thanks Dave. Limbo added.

Frank
Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 PM
proffcharlie

In regard to the Climb & Glide, "At 30 seconds, the engine is stopped. Throttle is advanced to prove dead engine." Wouldn't that reqire some kind of modification to most radios used. On electrics throttle down stops MOTOR but advancing throttle starts MOTOR again. Brake on setting in ESC is good but it would be hard to tell if prop is stationary when plane is at a distance.

Don't get me wrong I think you have a great idea there but if you're trying to make it more of an electric powered type of competition you need to adjust rules to the character of electric motored planes.

Charlie
Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 PM
proffcharlie

How about Air Bowling. Toy bowling pins are set on runway in standard tri pattern. The plastic ball is tied to a 10 foot string and the airplane at the pilots prefered point (landing gear, tailwheel, aft of fuse, etc.). Pilots must make approach from a distance of at least beyond the far end of runway and try to hit pins with the ball only and are scored in normal bowling fashion. Pins hit by the plane or the string and not the ball don't count. Number of "frames" allowed each pilot is up to the judges. If no pins are knocked down on a pass it is scored same as a gutter ball. The toy bowling sets can be found at most toy stores and are light weight plastic. By using a 10 foot string it is not likely the prop wash will knock a pin over instead of the ball.

Charlie
Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by proffcharlie View Post
In regard to the Climb & Glide, "At 30 seconds, the engine is stopped. Throttle is advanced to prove dead engine." Wouldn't that reqire some kind of modification to most radios used. On electrics throttle down stops MOTOR but advancing throttle starts MOTOR again. Brake on setting in ESC is good but it would be hard to tell if prop is stationary when plane is at a distance.

Don't get me wrong I think you have a great idea there but if you're trying to make it more of an electric powered type of competition you need to adjust rules to the character of electric motored planes.

Charlie
Oops. I forgot to delete that line when I cut and pasted that.

Thanks for noting that.

Frank
Old 01-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

How about something like this that I found?

EGG DROP Everyone gets a Dixie cup, a popsicle stick and some rubber bands to mount on their plane (most shove the stick through the cup and then rubber band it around the fuselage behind the engine). Remember your CG!!! We then draw with lime, or powder of some sort, 3 big circles on the field. 5 points for outer circle, 10 points for next in, 15 points for smallest circle, and 25 points if you can hit the pie plate in the center. Everyone gets 3 good drops (i.e. if you lose it on take off or not over the mowed field it doesn't count
Old 01-10-2009, 04:37 PM
lshadow2005

Frank,
Are going to require an egg or use golf balls like we did in AZ
Bob
Old 01-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Probably golf balls since they all weigh the same (I think).

Frank
Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

OK, I have 5 down and one more to go.

Any ideas for the last one?

Thanks,

Frank
Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Frank, we've done a timed "take off, loop, roll, land" event, but that kind of thing really favors the 3D type planes. Always a lot of fun, though. Our version of the balloon bust involves free-floating balloons, and a free-for-all attack , with up to a dozen planes involved. Gaurenteed mayhem, so the planes must be able to take the hits, and the wind MUST be away from pilots/spectators/objects! Most of the time, the balloons get out of range before they get broken. For the limbo, ties are decide with an "inverted" round. That sorts the men from the boys!
Brad.

Go here http://hoods-up.com/videos.htm , and click on the pic of the guy wearing the red clown nose to see a balloon bust. The GWS TM400 seen in a few passes is mine.

Last edited by BradT; 01-11-2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: add link
Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Brad,

We just started recently doing the same thing with balloons at my club. What a blast! Hard to believe how much fun it is.

Frank
Old 01-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

OK here is what I have come up with. I'm hoping these look good enough to meet your approval.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Frank

1 CLIMB 'N' GLIDE: Pilot is given 20 seconds after takeoff to climb high as possible. Landing must be on the runway in a designated target zone. ESCs must be set to brake mode. Longest time to land wins. Bonus points are awarded the closer the plane is to the center of the target.

2. Table Top Touch N Go: Pilot is given 3 minutes to make 3 touch and go landings on a 4' x 8' supported landing platform. At least two wheels must touch down on the tabletop. If the pilot does not make 3 touches in the three minutes a zero score is given.

3. BALLOON BUST: 4 balloons are suspended with crepe paper at alternating heights in a straight line down the runway. Heights are; 4, 8, 12, and 16 feet. Pilot has to break at least two balloons in that row of four to score the minimum amount of points. More than two in a row will increase points. (Revert to event #6 if winds dictate)

4. LIMBO: Use a thirty foot crepe paper ribbon strung between two poles. Planes fly under crepe paper streamer, cuts or ground touches disqualify. Streamer is lowered 1' after each round until only one plane qualifies. Points are awarded for 1, 2, and 3rd place finishes.

5. Koosh Ball Drop Everyone gets a Dixie cup, a popsicle stick and some rubber bands to mount on their plane (most shove the stick through the cup and then rubber band it around the fuselage behind the engine). Remember your CG!!! It's best to make one that fits your plane prior to the event. A target is drawn on the runway in 3 circles centered on a bull's eye. 5 points are awarded for the outer circle, 10 points for next in, 15 points for smallest circle, and 25 points if you can hit the bull's eye. Everyone gets 3 good drops (i.e. if you lose it on take off or not over the mowed field it doesn't count (Alternate Source for Koosh Balls)

6. Snowman Loop Race 3 poles are set up 50 feet apart in a straight line. The object is to weave between the poles as quickly as possible and as slow as possible. 2 laps are performed as quickly and as slowly as possible. Not making the entire loop or touching the grounds disqualifies. Points are awarded for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, fastest and slowest times. See attached.

Last edited by Murocflyer; 10-29-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Please let me know if these sound doable for the average park flyer fun fly events. I'm looking to incorporate this in with what the NCFFA already does, or even better, host these types of events in your own flying field.

Thanks,

Frank
Old 01-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I have sent a email to the NCFFA leadership to ask how we can incorporate this into what they do. It may not be possible. We might have to start our own "ground roots campaign" to push this forward and standardize the events.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help.

Frank
Old 01-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

PS

I'm not sure where this is going to take me, but we'll see. I've researched all the AMA PDFs and the info provided by the NCFFA. Hope to hear back from the NCFFA soon. I would really like to take this kind of event "on the road" so to speak and help promote it outside of the AMA chartered clubs. The problem is that there is no central point of contacts for many park flyers since most of them fly from soccer fields and parking lots. I think this would be fun for all, but I am at a loss on how to organize these events for those PF pilots.
Frank
Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I found these at a party store. 1.25" in diameter. You could velro a cup to your plane and carry these around.

Might work out well.

Frank

Last edited by Murocflyer; 10-29-2013 at 06:05 AM.