RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR XP6102 concern

Old 01-02-2009, 04:15 AM
Chappy
Chappy

Default JR XP6102 concern

I'm a new flyer and I bought a JR XP6102 with my first plane, a EPP foamy High Wing "Citabra." Granted I'm learning and experiencing "growing pains", but I have a growing concern with my TX loosing its settings during use. I know, I know, I'm a "newbie" and don't know what I'm doing, don't blame the equipment.' I conceed to my lack of experience and I thought the same thing the previous two times this has happened. But, I believe the evidence is building to substantiate my suspecions and I'm concerned I may have bad equipment. (Tx)
Today at the field after several sucessful flights I was low over the field about to land when the plane would not responded my direction of turn and wound up low in some small trees. Confused I questioned my last seconds of flight and was sure my unplanned landing should not have occurred. When I returned home and was going over my equipment I found that both the Rudder and Aileron (plane doesn't have 'em) reversing switches were opposite what they should have been. Although I didn't check them before the flight, all was smooth until just before the unplanned landing. I can only guess that this happened during use. The weather was in the mid 30's but otherwise a nice day to fly. I have decided to begin a written log of my settings and make a check of these 'known' settings before and after each flight to eliminate the 'fuzz factor' a man my age develops.
Has anyone experienced the same? Is this issue a common one? Is there any 'user friendly' trouble shooting checks I should make? The Tx is 3 months old with a 3 year warranty, how is JR with standing behind their products?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 AM
Twmaster

It sounds like a defective transmitter. You should send it to Horizon for service. They are very very good about dealing with warranty and other repairs.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:26 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Cold can affect batteries. Got any idea of the battery charge in the TX at the time of the problem? An old battery will be WAY worse than a new one. You could have just lost transmission power.

I have a JR 6102 and it's been a fine TX. OTOH a buddy has a Futaba 6AXE (or something like that) and after a LOT of crashes and problems we finally figured out his "new" (but barely used) TX has some kind of problem. Replaced with a JR7202 and his problems are gone.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Chappy
Chappy

The Tx was at 9.8V and the flight battery was freshly charged and only had about 5 min flight time on it. The plane was only 40-50 yrds away. It seems my Tx battery does drop rather quickly. I use it with my simulator too, but it's powered through the computer. Wonder if I have a bad lithium back up battery? No screen warnings are inticating this.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Twmaster

In addition to my previous comments I'd suggest you call Horizon's support line. They may have some basic tests to suggest. Their service dept. is top notch.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Chappy
Chappy

That's a good idea. Think I'll give them a call Monday after I return to the shop where I bought the outfit. The Gent who runs it is pretty
knowledgable, I'll see what he thinks of the problem. I know he likes Horizon and deals with them often; likes JR equip as well.
Thanks