Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Slow Stick Goodies.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Twmaster

Thrust line question Boomer...

How much down/right are you finding is needed on the average SS?

I'm just waiting for the battery tray to hit Dave's web site so I can order me a bunch of fine laser burn smelling wood!
Old 11-23-2008, 02:29 AM
boomerace
Been there .... Done That

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post

I'm just waiting for the battery tray to hit Dave's web site so I can order me a bunch of fine laser burn smelling wood!
For a low powered brushless I use 3 degrees, For something with 80 to 90W/lb I use 4 degrees, for over 100W/lb (vertical) usually 5 degrees is needed. For over 150W/lb wings are unnecessary and you may need as much as 6 degrees. You may have to adjust a degree either way depending on how you have the plane setup but ususlly that is right on.
boomer
Old 11-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Twmaster

Ok, I subscribe to the power = good squad. This means 5 deg down and right? Wow. Lots of angle mang.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:28 AM
boomerace

Ok, I subscribe to the power = good squad. This means 5 deg down and right? Wow. Lots of angle mang.
Keep in mind that is Watts per pound of plane. Not motor watts. So if you had a AUW 25oz SS and your motor was putting out 200W that is 25oz divided by 16oz per lb= 1.56lb. 1.56lb divided into the 200W= 128W/lb or one fast vertical puppy.
boomer
Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

I got an order in from Dave last week and it do smell like burned wood, imagine that.

Everything is perfectly cut with tight tolerances. I am really impressed with the adjustable motor mount.

Rick
Old 11-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Twmaster

Boomer...

Is the battery tray you've shown earlier in this thread a Radical RC part or not? I do not see it on Dave's web site and I got no response from an email sent more than a week ago. If it's not his part I'll go and place an order for what I need otherwise I do not want have to place two or three orders to get all the SS bits I want.

*sigh*
Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 PM
boomerace

Boomer...

Is the battery tray you've shown earlier in this thread a Radical RC part or not? I do not see it on Dave's web site and I got no response from an email sent more than a week ago. If it's not his part I'll go and place an order for what I need otherwise I do not want have to place two or three orders to get all the SS bits I want.

*sigh*
Yes the battery tray is one of Dave's Goodies. He has the large and the small one. I like the large one as it gives more room to play around with battery placement and is not much heavier.
boomer
Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 AM
boomerace

Default Maiden Flight Report

OK went to the field and fog had moved in and misting a little. Decided to fly anyway but shooting video was out of the question. Plane flew fantastic. Had the controls maxed out and was surprised how responsive it was with the V-Tail. Plane flew great. Much quicker control than a stock rudder/elevator set up. Had to go easy on the sticks as rolls we quick and the plane reacted right now to control changes. Actually better than I expected. Very pleased! Nice floaty landing at my feet but made the mistake to try and taxi on the large rock. Front long gear bent under when it hung up on a larger rock and prop strike broke motor shaft. So will have to replace shaft and build a heavier front LG.Had some issues with plane disappearing in the fog but managed to guess the right control input to bring it back into view.
boomer
Old 12-01-2008, 02:09 AM
Twmaster

Sweet. Boomer, are you using the Radical nose gear or the dubro 1/2A stuff?

Still waiting on the battery tray to appear on Dave's site.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 AM
boomerace

Sweet. Boomer, are you using the Radical nose gear or the dubro 1/2A stuff?

It's actually a mix the mount is RadicalRC, the first 1/2 of the shaft is the 1/2A nose gear with the spring, the bottom half is music wire. The connector is brass. When the strike happened the spring just bent enough to allow the prop to hit! I will try replacing with all music wire first and if still too bendy will reinforce the mount and drill out for heavier wire.
Since motor is only $21 will simply install a new motor then repair the old one when I get the urge.
boomer
Old 12-03-2008, 01:03 AM
boomerace

Dave says he forgot it. Both sizes are on the site now.
boomer
Old 12-07-2008, 05:57 AM
motorhead540

looking for ideas on slow stick/slow v/ wasp project had a properitary parkzone slow v while a blast to fly wanted more so i am starting to build a flat alieron wasp wing and plan to use their tail as well but will be using a slow v fuse and landing gear set plan on using 3s1000 packs with 2212/13 1000kv motor 4 servos and a 7 ch berg receiver plan on a 8/4 or a 10/5 prop any ideas would greatly be appreciated fairly new to building planes as i work on heavy equiptment for a living not much compares to model aircraft light and seem almost frail by comparison i have hard time remembering to build light maybe this one will be better first plane i built was suggestion by chellie a mavrick cap with a tower pro 2408-21 motor 4 servos and 3s1000 flies great on 8/4 and 9/4 props verticle at 1/3 throttle good slow and hover thanks for your support merril
Old 12-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by boomerace View Post
Dave says he forgot it. Both sizes are on the site now.
boomer
Heh. And he just got nearly $90 out of me! Thanks for this thread Boomer. My wallet is giving you dirty looks but the little kid inside me is jumping for joy at the new toys....

Old 12-07-2008, 07:18 AM
boomerace

Heh. And he just got nearly $90 out of me! Thanks for this thread Boomer. My wallet is giving you dirty looks but the little kid inside me is jumping for joy at the new toys....

Keep us posted on your build! Have fun and sorry about the wallet.
boomer
Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Twmaster

Will do!

I bought almost two of everything as I promised a flying buddy I'd get him some of this stuff when it all became available. I've got a NIB yellow SS sloper sitting here awaiting these goodies.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:02 AM
boomerace

Will do!

I bought almost two of everything as I promised a flying buddy I'd get him some of this stuff when it all became available. I've got a NIB yellow SS sloper sitting here awaiting these goodies.

They will be more announcements as Dave is sending me a pusher mount. Lower wing mount to mount single wing UNDER the fuse and a Bipe set that mounts one wing under the fuse. More later.
boomer
Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Twmaster

They will be more announcements as Dave is sending me a pusher mount. Lower wing mount to mount single wing UNDER the fuse and a Bipe set that mounts one wing under the fuse. More later.
boomer
Auuugh!! I didn't need to hear any of that.

{Mike shakes his fist westward toward both Dave and Boomer}

Damn you both!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:54 AM
boomerace

I'm sure Dave never intended the goodies he is making to be put to such a test however the Slow Stick Bipe build I do will test the parts to the extreme. Frankly I have no doubt they will hold up just fine with what I am intending. First of all I will be using a 2836-10 Motor on the Bipe. This tests out on the power meter to 295W @27A swinging a 10 X 4.7 APC SF Prop on 3S 2500 25C Lipo with a 51oz thrust rating. My standard wing and tail reinforcing will be used. And I have a somewhat heavy aluminum LG I intend to use. I will be using Dave's Bipe, thrust mod, large battery tray, control horns and nose gear heavier mount for the steering tail wheel in laser cut parts. Result should be a blast to fly and also provide the ultimate stress test on Dave's parts. Any comments
boomer
Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Twmaster

... Any comments
Phear!

I'll be watching. On a side note... I recently got my hands on one of Dave's Low Wing Micro Stick kits. Wow. He is one heck of a designer. If all his kits are like this I'll be building more.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:56 AM
boomerace

Phear!

I'll be watching. On a side note... I recently got my hands on one of Dave's Low Wing Micro Stick kits. Wow. He is one heck of a designer. If all his kits are like this I'll be building more.

Here is my video of his Micro. This was the maiden. I had Blue Max fly it so I could shoot the video.
http://rcuvideos.com/video/Micro-Sti...#theater_title
Flew it for several weeks and then dumb thumbed it in. It was a real handful due to it's size and the fact I had the controls maxed out. One fun little plane!!
boomer
Old 12-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Twmaster

Good golly. That's fast. Here's the build thread I started on the Low Wing Micro Stick.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41586

Old 12-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Pickle72

It looks like MillenniumRc just released or announced new fuse parts designed and made by them. Looks good to me. Also a new 3D plane. Cool stuff!

http://www.millenniumrc.com/X-FusePartsSet.html
Old 12-11-2008, 03:35 AM
Twmaster

I love the smell of laser burnt wood after a hard day of work!

My parts arrived from Radical RC today. Neat stuff!! I'm going to have one hell of a good time hacking on this!

Thanks for this thread Boomer. Thanks also to Dave at RRC!
Old 12-11-2008, 03:49 AM
boomerace

Good golly. That's fast. Here's the build thread I started on the Low Wing Micro Stick.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41586

I forgot the pics.
boomer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MS Bottom.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	86404   Click image for larger version

Name:	MS Front Qtr.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	86405   Click image for larger version

Name:	MS Front.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	86406   Click image for larger version

Name:	MS Rear Qtr.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	86407  
Old 12-12-2008, 05:03 AM
boomerace

OK received a big batch of new goodies from Dave. I am starting on the bipe first however I assembled the pusher Wing and motor mount so here it is. Room to swing a 10 inch prop and has provision for down thrust adjustment but not left thrust correction so will have to use washers if needed.
boomer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pusher wing  and Motor Mount.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	86539  

Quick Reply: Slow Stick Goodies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12798 seconds with 16 queries