Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Kyosho FW-190

Old 11-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Daylight99

Default Kyosho FW-190

Just bought one of these last week and man this plane is a beast. You can find a nice review of the plane at the link below so I will save you and building details. Should maiden in about a week.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822030
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10868-01l.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	83052  
Old 11-21-2008, 12:11 AM
haze_b

Sweet!!!

Did you maiden already? How did it go? What power setup did you use?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:28 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by Daylight99 View Post
Just bought one of these last week and man this plane is a beast.
A beast? Hmmm hard to use that term without having flown this plane. Too bad they didn't offer all the markings on the plane, but atleast it has thatcartoonish eagle to make up for it.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:06 AM
Daylight99

Well, the largest plane I had before this one is a E-Flite Cub and even though the Cubs wing span is longer the overall bulk of the FW 190 makes it huge in comparison. This is why I called it a beast

I did maiden it about two weeks ago and this one needs alot of room like the larger gassers need. If you have flown any of the Hanger 9 Warbird you know what I'm talking about. The model tracks real nice on the ground without any ground looping problems. I have the Scorpion 4020-10 motor with the Scorpion 90 amp esc, the prop is a 14X7X3 Master Airscrew this makes the plane a little over powered with level flight speed about 83mph. It flys easy for a Warbird of its size with no tipstall tendency that I have noticed. Landing is nice and stable with full flaps and the landing speed can get scray slow if you let it, put still no tip stall's. I added a few details like the KMP pilot, strut covers, stripe on the spinner and a few graphics that are not seen in the photo's below, I will post new photo's tomorrow showing the completed graphics. The Eagle graphic on the cowl was a short lived on the real FW's and the front half was painted out on just about all the 190's early in the war leaving the back half as you see in the photo below.

Bob Russell
Fontana, Ca
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 145.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	84381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 146.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	84382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 147.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	84383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 148.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	84384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 150.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	84385  

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-P2.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	84387  
Old 11-21-2008, 02:06 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

lol nice stash on the pilot, lol
Old 11-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Daylight99

Second flight is set for tomorrow morning at the ISS Club field in Riverside Ca. I will post a flight report tomorrow evening.

Bob Russell
Fontana, Ca.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Daylight99

Just got back from the field. The first & second flights today went nicely, the third flight had a problem that came up on the maiden as well. I was getting ready to land but I felt the plane was a little too high so I throttled up to come around again but when I hit full throttle I heard a loud squeal from the motor, the plane lost air speed and dropped about 15' square on the nose. This same squeal happened just before the maiden flight while testing the throttle response. The first time it happened I figuered the prop nut was not tite and I thought that again this afternoon but a club member came up to me and said he thought it sounded to him that the ESC timing was off. The Scorpion 90 amp has auto detect timing but that still doesn't mean he's not correct. Any idea's what may be happening here?

BTW, only damage from the stall was a broken prop and chipped cowl and for a plane that hit the ground HARD it bounced like a basketball and landed on its wheels. I did a complete frame check and found nothing broken or cracked. This is one well built model.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

I've also heard it's a timing issue Bob. But I've had it happen on a motor when run on 4 cell pack and not happen when run on 3 cell pack.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Daylight99

Thanks
I have a feeling its the timing. The Scorpion ESC has both auto settings or you can select the timing yourself, problem is I have no idea what timing setting I would need with the Scorpion 4020-10 motor.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Daylight99

I finally got around to testing the motor again. I took the timing off of auto and set it to 15 degrees, during bench tests and squeal never came back. I plan on testing a little more before it see's the air again, this will also be a good time to check all the connections to make sure nothing has come loose.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:15 AM
Wallyfingers

Default 3, 4 or 5 cells

I finally got around to testing the motor again. I took the timing off of auto and set it to 15 degrees, during bench tests and squeal never came back. I plan on testing a little more before it see's the air again, this will also be a good time to check all the connections to make sure nothing has come loose.

What size cell pack do you have?

Thanks,
wally
Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Daylight99

Originally Posted by Wallyfingers View Post
What size cell pack do you have?

Thanks,
wally
5 cell 5000mah
Old 02-09-2009, 06:33 PM
madpatter

Default FW 190 wing needed

So 3 great easy flights and one really bad one. I had read that there was no tip stall issues, but I noticed mine liked to roll over and dive when I got too slow. Like I do with all new planes, I took it up high to see how it behaved and noticed the stall. I commented to my flying buddies that if it rolled out lower, I would lose it.

Well today it rolled out lower. Our field has pines that are about 30-40 feet high all around the main clearing. I did a nice medium speed low fly by, took her up easy and banked to turn around for a landing. As I banked, she rolled over on me and started to spin. I recovered from the spin and powered up to pull out of the dive, but the trees got her before I could pull all the way out. I must have been a little too slow or a little too banked.

Then that sickening crunch and the wing was shredded. All electronics are fine, I guess the tree broke the final impact. The cowl and canopy are perfect still. The battery hatch has a little damage and the firewall came off real clean.

So, does anyone know where to get a wing?
I do not see any parts for the Kyosho FW190 anywhere.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:36 PM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Default Beautifull!

Thats a nice looking plane,
It would look great next to an E-flite At-6 Texan.

5 cell 5000mah
Woah, thats the only thing that turned me off.
1. Its a huge battery, dont 5 cell's cost about 200$+

2. Its hard also finding a cheap 5 cell charger.

Other than that, the 83 Mph average is nice, and its a nice looking plane.
Cool, subscribed.
--PvT
Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 PM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

I'd buy it just because of the pretty box. Good looking plane.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

I guess Daylight 99 is too depressed to come here, his went in about 4 weeks ago due to a fried esc. We watched in stunned disbelief. Good luck with getting a new wing . Here's a video of it's last flight [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA60j5kzGNE[/media] excuse me for calling it a Me 109
Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

An 80 A esc but he had changed props and after about 5 min. of wide open throttle , on his last circuit of the field of course. He lost all control and down she went. Although it hit soft ground it ruined motor, battery and of course airframe. It flew at an estimated speed of 80 to 90 MPH the field is 1/3rd of a mile wide.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Default Daylight99 crash

Wow, that is too bad. What a great looking and sounding FW190 though! I'm assuming he had a UBEC installed? Surprising to hear that an ESC failure alone would bring her down. Though I suppose when an electronic component goes out, anything on the same circuit is at risk.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:47 PM
phil worth

Hi Has anyone had the mis fortune to write one off? I have in a moment of true dumbness, rested the wing on a hot iron which has Bu..ered the covering on the port wing top surface in board of the aileron. So if you have a u/s wing peel off the covering and I will buy it! Had thought about a battlefield repair in lithoplate but she just looks so good. Cheers Phil
Old 04-11-2010, 02:27 PM
madpatter

Default Sold my crashed one

I sold my crashed one about 3 weeks ago. Bummer that Kyosho does not offer any big parts or covering.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 AM
phil worth

Sorry to hear about your loss, get another you know it makes sense! Made a battle damage repair patch, not too bad at all airbrush out tomorrow and that should do.
I spoke to Kyosho UK and have to say they were very helpfull. Cheers.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Wow, that is too bad. What a great looking and sounding FW190 though! I'm assuming he had a UBEC installed? Surprising to hear that an ESC failure alone would bring her down. Though I suppose when an electronic component goes out, anything on the same circuit is at risk.
Probably didn't have a UBEC. I'd be the last guy to blame him, as I only use them when I suspect the need. I would say the motor is likely the real problem. I just finished a plane, where the motor would not run right on a P25 with timing changes. On another brand, the noise stopped, but the ESC still runs hotter than it should. I decided to go ahead and use it, but it also has a switching BEC just in case. I've ran into several motors, where it may be a wind issue, or just design issue, where the motors still run, but seem to have some issues with numerous brands of ESCs. When I've found an ESC that the motor runs fine on, the ESC is still hotter than it should be. Some of these planes have flown fine, but I'm still not thrilled with the motors. If the ESC is unacceptably hot, then I won't use the setup.

Originally Posted by phil worth View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss, get another you know it makes sense! Made a battle damage repair patch, not too bad at all airbrush out tomorrow and that should do.
I spoke to Kyosho UK and have to say they were very helpfull. Cheers.
Any pics? I'm sure if you get creative, you can find some way to repair the wing that looks great. I'd think of making a repair and covering the area with Coverite Microlite, and then painting. The covering is thin and applys with low heat. It won't show a heavy seam line either.

I'm sure this plane must be a good flyer. My Alfa 190 still exists in great condition, and was even flown as of yesterday. I've actually been flying the plane more conservatively as time goes on, as the plane has earned it's tenured respect. Based on the "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" philosophy, it still flys on a GWS Pico receiver and servos. Never a hitch.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Probably didn't have a UBEC. I'd be the last guy to blame him, as I only use them when I suspect the need.
He was flying with a 5 cell lipo. If you don't "suspect the need" with that kind of voltage, then you have no business flying with that kind of voltage!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
He was flying with a 5 cell lipo. If you don't "suspect the need" with that kind of voltage, then you have no business flying with that kind of voltage!
Didn't catch that.
Normal folk don't "suspect" that people would use more than 3 cells on this plane.
"You" meaning him or me? I was referring to my own apps, as far a UBEC usage is concerned.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Didn't catch that.
Normal folk don't "suspect" that people would use more than 3 cells on this plane.
"You" meaning him or me? I was referring to my own apps, as far a UBEC usage is concerned.
"You" meaning anyone!