Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Slow stick question

Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 PM
snowpony

Default Slow stick question

Hi all,

I went to the plane field yesterday and saw someone flying a slow stick. (This is the first time I've seen one since I started going to the park a month ago.)

I've been practicing on the Flight Sim but haven't had my first flight yet. I was wondering if a slow stick is a good type of plane to learn on. I have the Wild Hawk which I was going to use to learn on, but if the slow stick is easier, maybe I'll just learn on that first.

And if you can recommend a good beginner slow stick, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Both good, mostly depends on your flight area and what type of flier YOU are (will be).
SS is SLOW-good for poor reflexes and poor eyesight. Can fly in a bit smaller area. It is more fragile and breaks more easily with crashes, esp. nose crashes which are common among newbies. Damn lousy in wind until you get your own wings. Never will be great in wind. You have to build it yourself and need all the electronics.

WH will fly a bit faster, is a no-brains build and will protect the motor in nose in crashes. Will handle wind better. Needs more room to fly (but a newbie needs LOTS of room anyway). Electrics are throw away after you are done with them.

IMO, go with the WH. By all means get a SS too though. They are a fun plane. Totally different critters.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Because of the throw away electrics in the Wild Hawk, I'd go for the SlowStick... everything is reuseable and I hate waste!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:58 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Yeah, but he's got the WH. He also has a question in another thread on how to convert it to Spectrum so it's pretty much a bogus question anyway. Don't you love people wasting your time like that?

fly
Old 10-10-2008, 02:19 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Remember, though.......

What an experienced modeler might already know may not be intuitive to a newcomer to the hobby.

A wise man knows.....the only stupid question is the unasked question.

We were all new once. We all were in similar positions. Those of us with the knowledge should welcome new blood to the hobby, and pay forward that which was taught to us.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:29 AM
snowpony

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
Yeah, but he's got the WH. He also has a question in another thread on how to convert it to Spectrum so it's pretty much a bogus question anyway. Don't you love people wasting your time like that?

fly
I'm a "she", not a "he"....

If it's a waste of your time, why bother even replying and reading this thread? Isn't this section titled "beginners"? I have many questions, and am also encountering problems with the Wild Hawk which is why I am asking all these questions.

You don't have to be a jerk about it...

Last edited by snowpony; 10-10-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:31 AM
snowpony

Thanks gfengine204.....I appreciate the back up! I'm just trying to learn all I can. There are some hobbyists who can help me in person during the weekends when I go to the field, but during the weekdays I don't have anyone who can answer my questions, so this forum is a good source for beginners like myself.

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Remember, though.......

What an experienced modeler might already know may not be intuitive to a newcomer to the hobby.

A wise man knows.....the only stupid question is the unasked question.

We were all new once. We all were in similar positions. Those of us with the knowledge should welcome new blood to the hobby, and pay forward that which was taught to us.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:47 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

snowpony::The SlowStick one great plane that will serve you well! I've had mine for years and it's gone through many a mod in it's time too, Get one and you'll love it, Welcome to wattflyer by the way! Some off the best Builders&Flyers here are Ladies and I'll wager your gonna be one of um soon enough,Set the Slowstick up with brushed or burshless , Nicad or lipos, It'll fly easy and well, later you can mod it up a bit with ailerons , I've got mine near half the stock fuse length and way over-powered but it was JUST AS FUN stock! your bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 281.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	80266   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 294.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	80267   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 663.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	80268   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 459.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	80269   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 723.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	80270  

Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 381.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	80271   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 615.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	80272   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 695.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	80273  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Relsom

Snowpony, I consider myself a relative beginner also and have gotten lots of help here on WF. Me and few friends got into this hobby a little while back and all started with the Yellow Bee, then modified them a bit, then moved on to other planes. I'll get to the point here , I promise. 3 of us built slow sticks and the 4th got the Wild Hawk. 3 of us are flying and improving our skills and moving on to the next level. That 4th guy is still trying to get his Wild Hawk in the air, without much success, and frustrated. You'll find some folks on here that have been fairly happy with the Wild Hawk. But you'll also find that the Slow Stick gets an almost unanimous thumbs up from folks on this board, from beginners and experienced pilots alike. You may be just fine with the WH, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the Slow Stick over it. Of course it'll involve a little assembly and outlay for electrics and a "real" radio. But if you're going to get into this hobby that is going to be expected eventually anyway. Good Luck, ........Chris
Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I don't know much about the WH but you may be able to find some tips on it here.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:17 AM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Sorry, I had missed the fact that you already had the WH... heck, go with what you have - dance with the one who brought you! You'll learn a lot, then probably change to something which can teach you even more. For future reference - going with something which uses standard electronics is a plus.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:39 AM
snowpony

Thanks for the welcome, stevecooper- glad to be here! I was actually told by someone at the hobby shop that women do quite well as a beginner, because they are better at grasping being "gentle" with the controls.

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
snowpony::The SlowStick one great plane that will serve you well! I've had mine for years and it's gone through many a mod in it's time too, Get one and you'll love it, Welcome to wattflyer by the way! Some off the best Builders&Flyers here are Ladies and I'll wager your gonna be one of um soon enough,Set the Slowstick up with brushed or burshless , Nicad or lipos, It'll fly easy and well, later you can mod it up a bit with ailerons , I've got mine near half the stock fuse length and way over-powered but it was JUST AS FUN stock! your bub, steve
Old 10-10-2008, 05:50 AM
snowpony

The Wild Hawk was having problems the first time it was taken out, and it was even flown by an experienced flyer. I couldn't pass up the $70 price compared to the $200 Easy Star price, and I regret not getting the Easy Star in the first place. I wound up having to buy a Spektrum radio set since people at the field told me it might be best to put that into the Wild Hawk. The problems it was having is making me real nervous about wanting to fly it with the tx/rx it came with, plus it seems others have had problems with it..

Relsom, that's great that you guys learned on a slow stick. I'm hoping I don't wind up being like that 4th guy in your group (-I have been practicing on RealFlight G4 a few hours a day). I saw the guy with the slow stick and thought that the slow flying pace might make it easier to learn on than the Wild Hawk. He did say that it can't be flown when there's wind.

I actually like working on things and finding out the mechanics, so I wouldn't mind learning to put a slow stick together.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:50 PM
richg99

As has been described here, the Slo-Stik gets accolades from many. My bad experiences were that every time I crashed it (often at first), I had a broken prop or gear box, etc.

Then, a friend recommended the EZStar. What a dream! I bought the $59.00 foam model; added servos; motor; ESC..all of which you have to do on a Slo-stik...I already had a radio and receiver.

I still crashed a lot, but the pusher motor/prop was protected. Handles wind very well. Is definitely faster, so that can be an issue. However, once you get her up, you can cut the motor and just glide around. Needs a lot more space, though. Best trainer money I ever spent. regards, Rich
Old 10-10-2008, 05:04 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by snowpony View Post
I'm a "she", not a "he"....
You don't have to be a jerk about it...
Several things come to mind. Maybe I was being a jerk. OTOH we DO get an occasional person who comes in and asks questions when they really have already made up their mind about it. It takes some time to answer them, certainly isn't required that I do so, but I feel a bit used when this happens. This appeared to be one of those times so I was annoyed. It seemed like a bait and switch.

Don't want to discourage a woman from participating. Certainly not enough of the fair gender gracing the field, but I'm not trying to discourage anyone.

Like I said, those planes are totally different critters. I'm teaching a buddy on a SS, an Easy Star, and a Super Cub. He's kind of a remedial learner and has different trouble with all of them. His experience convinced me the ES is the best one for learning, especially if it is a somewhat windy area. You'll never have a decent learning opportunity in that case. All have strengths, all have weaknesses. Pick one, go fly it. You will not get away without crashes. Burn and learn are an integral part of the process.

Since you have the electronics, the kit and rest of the SS are pretty cheap. But you'll learn the same thing from the WH conversion. Choose and jump in.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

First off, I AM NOT A GIRL!!!! GG is an airplane. LOL

My vote is for the SS. Cheap, easy to repair, and can be upgraded as your skills increase. It can be converted all the way up to a 3D SS by changing it over to an SSX.

Granted you'll need quality equipment, as you would with any plane, as shall we say poor equipment can lead to the best plane out there not flying worth a darn, and in turn, turning a new pilot totally against the sport.

As someone else had mentioned, some of the stuff out there is just a shame it made it to the market. These kinda planes can ruin a beginner right off.

Your best bet is to read the forums about something you're looking to buy, and asking as many questions as you feel you need.

We've all been in your shoes, starting out is tuff, but using the experince and info the forums can give you will save you a lot of grief.

Welcome to the Addiction!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:43 PM
snowpony

Flydiver,

I am always appreciative when people take the time to write responses and answer their questions. I usually try to google my question first and see what comes up, but if I can't find the response I'll just ask the question. I am very new to this and there are still things I don't quite understand. I'm really trying to get as much as I can out of this forum.

My apologies if I came across annoyed as well.

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
Several things come to mind. Maybe I was being a jerk. OTOH we DO get an occasional person who comes in and asks questions when they really have already made up their mind about it. It takes some time to answer them, certainly isn't required that I do so, but I feel a bit used when this happens. This appeared to be one of those times so I was annoyed. It seemed like a bait and switch.

Don't want to discourage a woman from participating. Certainly not enough of the fair gender gracing the field, but I'm not trying to discourage anyone.

Like I said, those planes are totally different critters. I'm teaching a buddy on a SS, an Easy Star, and a Super Cub. He's kind of a remedial learner and has different trouble with all of them. His experience convinced me the ES is the best one for learning, especially if it is a somewhat windy area. You'll never have a decent learning opportunity in that case. All have strengths, all have weaknesses. Pick one, go fly it. You will not get away without crashes. Burn and learn are an integral part of the process.

Since you have the electronics, the kit and rest of the SS are pretty cheap. But you'll learn the same thing from the WH conversion. Choose and jump in.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:50 PM
snowpony

Thanks Glacier....this hobby is quite addicting, but very fun! I'll continue to read what people have to say on these forums and see if I find things that will suit me. So far, this forum has been a great resource in learning!

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
First off, I AM NOT A GIRL!!!! GG is an airplane. LOL

My vote is for the SS. Cheap, easy to repair, and can be upgraded as your skills increase. It can be converted all the way up to a 3D SS by changing it over to an SSX.

Granted you'll need quality equipment, as you would with any plane, as shall we say poor equipment can lead to the best plane out there not flying worth a darn, and in turn, turning a new pilot totally against the sport.

As someone else had mentioned, some of the stuff out there is just a shame it made it to the market. These kinda planes can ruin a beginner right off.

Your best bet is to read the forums about something you're looking to buy, and asking as many questions as you feel you need.

We've all been in your shoes, starting out is tuff, but using the experince and info the forums can give you will save you a lot of grief.

Welcome to the Addiction!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I'm really trying to get as much as I can out of this forum.
That's evident now, wasn't at first.

It does seem like the WH can be either OK or a problem, depending on the quality of the one you got. This is true for lots of the cheap RC stuff.

If you want to pursue the SS I suggest you look over these links:
Video build

Ultimate Noob Friendly SlowStick Build Log

GWS Slow Stick Build - Annotated

There are hoards of others.
My suggestions would be a prop saver and move the landing gear forward right behind the motor. Most common problem is nose dorks with broken props and bent/broken motors and/or motor/gearbox shafts
The stock 300 geared motor works fine with NiMh when learning.

Most people end up going brushless and lipo. It's a SLOW stick and grotesque amounts of power are not necessary (but can be done )
Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Flydiver,

I am always appreciative when people take the time to write responses and answer their questions. I usually try to google my question first and see what comes up, but if I can't find the response I'll just ask the question. I am very new to this and there are still things I don't quite understand. I'm really trying to get as much as I can out of this forum.

My apologies if I came across annoyed as well.

snowpony::There are NO dumb questions,, I don't care if you just need to know what time it is ,,,Not only does your query get answered but others who may have a sim-prob, learn as well! your bub, steve
Old 10-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Thanks for the welcome, stevecooper- glad to be here! I was actually told by someone at the hobby shop that women do quite well as a beginner, because they are better at grasping being "gentle" with the controls.
snowpony::Now you got me miss'in the "old Slow-Stick" (years sence she was stock!)So I just Had to get me a new one (stock of coarse!!)bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 800.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	81747   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 801.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	81748