Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

AV Contest #3 "Season's Change"

Old 11-09-2008, 11:40 PM
nascarwings

thanks frank......no worries just had a great day flying at the lake,,,
Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

It sure looked like it. Was it an early morning or evening flight?

Frank
Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 PM
nascarwings

the was taken at first light this morning....been fighting wind all week so got up first light and flew..
Old 11-10-2008, 12:01 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stinkweed007 View Post
Oh... I entered that other contest if you want to vote for me.. Thanks for the tip Ace
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDa-8c-47RQ&watch_response[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDa-8c-47RQ&watch_response[/media]
I got second in the last one. Yup Lil' Piper Productions right here . Great video.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

I hope they do extend the contest, the weather has been bloody awful here in the UK, its 45 mph winds & heavy rain as I type this.

Love that latest video nascarwings, early morning is a great time to fly. The water giving off its latent heat as mist, looks stunning & the lovely colours on the horizon really add to it, you are so lucky.

Kirsty x
Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
ChargeNut

Default MikroKopter AV Autumn Colours

Arrrggh... I need 3 posts to be able to post my Video!!!

Terry.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:19 PM
ChargeNut

Ok had a browse round and posted some replies... LOTS of good stuff on this here forum!!!

Anyway here's my entry...

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/2179755[/media]

Cheers,

Terry.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Kirsty_Carnage

Terry, thats some seriously good flying there my friend, very gutsy may I say. You really got in amongst it, think I'm going to have to rename you Dr.David Bellamy
Tell me more about your heli & what mount + camera you are running.

Kirsty xx
Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Nice video, Terry. That really looks like fall. What part of the country are you in? Or what country are you in?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
nascarwings

nice vid...nice flying
Old 11-11-2008, 01:41 AM
ChargeNut

Firstly, thank you all for the kind comments... having said that I think I might have to withdraw the entry or do some more video editing... I see from the first "rules" video that we should not exceed 4 minutes and that I should credit the music (to name two issues)... Not sure how fixed these rules are, but assuming they are (and why shouldn't they be) my entry breaks them ...

Originally Posted by Kirsty_Carnage View Post
Terry, thats some seriously good flying there my friend, very gutsy may I say. You really got in amongst it, think I'm going to have to rename you Dr.David Bellamy
Tell me more about your heli & what mount + camera you are running.

Kirsty xx
Hi Kirsty,

Yes gutsy is about right with a 600 MikroKopter... or maybe we could say stupid?

My "heli" is actually a Quad (four rotor, four motor platform) and is helped to fly with all kinds of Gyro trickery which makes the kind of flying seen in the video not TOO hard (although there is a bit of skill of course...).

The mount is self made aluminium plate with a tilt mechanism that is linked to the Fore/Aft gyro (and will keep the camera locked on target and compensate for frame tilt when moving forwards and backwards).

The camera, a Canon A620...

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Nice video, Terry. That really looks like fall. What part of the country are you in? Or what country are you in?
Hi Rabbitcreekok,

I'm in the UK and am located in the South of the country near a town called Guildford.

I aimed to try to get some Fall (Autumn for us brits) colours in the video in the first rise above the trees and pan shot (to set the scene)... however once under the trees I lost that but gained all the leaves on the ground instead.

Originally Posted by nascarwings View Post
nice vid...nice flying
Thanks nascarwings, coming from you that is high praise indeed... your landing shot on your first video is something else!!! like landing on a mirror... loved it... and that added dimension of taking off and landing on water, must get the nerves jangling... ok so some of mine was over water, but it was a foot deep stream not a lake!!

Well need to get on and do something now... take the video down or edit it and re-submit...

Will post soon with an update.

Cheers,

Terry
Old 11-11-2008, 01:51 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Terry,

DUDE!! I thought you were going to dunk that camera in the water. very cool!

Are you the one that usually shows his face on the AP threads in RCG?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:09 AM
ChargeNut

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
Terry,

DUDE!! I thought you were going to dunk that camera in the water. very cool!

Are you the one that usually shows his face on the AP threads in RCG?
Hi Dave,

I am indeed the very same ChargeNut AKA Terry from RCG...

Heard about this video contest from a friend and decided to come on over to Wattflyer and enter, already had the video created, but looks like I will be breaking all kinds of rules to leave it posted... will need to get the video editor out (and also noticed that I am too late to post as well as the comp ended on the 9th)...

This is a great forum... had a browse round and there's loads of stuff on here...

Here's a "face" pic for ya.... (oh I pity all you poor people looking at this thread and seeing my ugly mug)...

Cheers,

Terry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1841.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	83371  
Old 11-11-2008, 02:19 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Yep...I remember ya.

Dang, for some reason I thought I had more time on this one also. It did end the 9th.

We didnt get too many entries, I shall see if we can extend the (already) deadline if agreeable by all. Its Stinkweeds choice.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:26 AM
nascarwings

well let us know...ill have to follow the rules this time or read them...lol
Old 11-11-2008, 02:28 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I am checking now. Unofficially I'd say yes, lets keep the videos coming!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:41 AM
Kirsty_Carnage

Thanks for the info Terry, I'm going to search for that 4 motor heli/UFO your using, seems like fun

Kirsty x
Old 11-11-2008, 11:16 AM
nascarwings

try this link kirsty http://www.rctoys.com/ not sure if this is the type terry is talking about...
Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Kirsty_Carnage

Originally Posted by nascarwings View Post
try this link kirsty http://www.rctoys.com/ not sure if this is the type terry is talking about...
Looks the same to me, had a good look on youtube at these things, just wondering if they could carry a canon 40D camera??

Kirsty x
Old 11-11-2008, 01:52 PM
ChargeNut

Originally Posted by Kirsty_Carnage View Post
Looks the same to me, had a good look on youtube at these things, just wondering if they could carry a canon 40D camera??

Kirsty x
Try www.mikrokopter.de that is what I'm flying... You can go to their online shop and get a "kit" for around 700 euros (approx 555)... this needs putting together which does involve some soldering...

Here's a direct link to the German shop

https://www.mikrocontroller.com/inde...df4a376a99f586

Otherwise in the UK there is "NextGen-RC", not used them (got all my gear from Germany and soldered EVERYTHING up myself ), links here...

Electronics (flight controller - houses the Gyros, Brushless Controllers - 4 of these, Receiver (special one needed as it links all the channel signals into one large signal stream) and Sercon (serial connector for programming and flashing the MK) at 269.99
http://www.nextgen-rc.co.uk/shop/art...aid%3D10308%26

Frame, Standard size... Frame mounting plates and arms at 46.99
http://www.nextgen-rc.co.uk/shop/art...aid%3D10201%26

Motors (need 4 of these) at 15.99 each...
http://www.nextgen-rc.co.uk/shop/art...aid%3D10402%26

Hope that all helps,

Cheers,

Terry.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Kirsty_Carnage

WOW! Excellent information Terry, many many thanks. Have had a quick look so far, just wish I could read German

There seems lots of modules you have to make & sling together to make this thing fly, very complicated, but I'm sure it's worth it in the end.

Kirsty xx
Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 AM
pablo27

Nice vid Terry, I've never flown a heli but can tell that your flying was pretty good. I especially liked the 'walking' across the bridge scene. How long have you been flying ?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 AM
ChargeNut

Originally Posted by pablo27 View Post
Nice vid Terry, I've never flown a heli but can tell that your flying was pretty good. I especially liked the 'walking' across the bridge scene. How long have you been flying ?
Thanks Paul... this was kind of a first for me in that I went a bit mad and took a few risks... The MK has been a bit of a labour of love with me and I have spent MANY hours on it (not to mention hard earned cash)...

As for the flying...Well I started mainly with Fixed wing (about 7 years ago - 2001) and got well into that with Glow planes mainly... decided about 3 years ago to buy a Helicopter (glow engine), and also at the time brought Aerofly Professional... spent quite a few evenings hovering around on the Sim before going out with the Heli and locked in a nice 4 foot off the ground stable hover on about my second hop... Issue was that the Heli scared the pants off me... those big wooden blades swinging round made me nervous and I could never settle down with it.. so I sold it..

I then saw a video of a "GPS location locked" MikroKopter... I was into AP via planes at the time and I was hooked... I thought about building one for about 3 weeks and then ordered the bare board (nothing much soldered on it) and started to work (this is all documented in a mammoth build thread on RCGroups)... had many issues over the build had a couple of arrivals but have gradually ironed out the wrinkles...

As for flying an MK... best way to describe it is that it is VERY (and I mean almost exactly) like a co-axial heli (like the Twister Medevac) to fly... it maintains a stable position in the air through the gyros and needs minor adjustments to keep it in position... having said that, if you want it to move it can... it's VERY agile if it needs to be, but for AP/AV use I don't fly like that much.

I might be under selling my skills a bit here, but the MK really is a joy to fly, it's an excellent design well executed... there are technical hurdles to cross to get to a stable and flying platform, but I feel the effort is worth it, certainly for the easy of flight you get later...

Thanks again for the nice comments!!!

Terry.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:21 AM
ChargeNut

My revised Video for the Contest...

Still not sure it fits perfectly into the rules, but at least it clears the main two glaring issues with my first submission...

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/2210266[/media]

Cheers,

Terry.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Contest dates Extended

Post your entry before Sunday December 7th 2008

Voting will take place from December 8th through 14th.

In the event of a tie for 1st or 2nd, a run-off vote will take place from December 15th through 21st.

Quick Reply: AV Contest #3 "Season's Change"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12617 seconds with 14 queries