Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

New Product: E-Flite F-16 in Thunderbird scheme

Old 09-12-2008, 07:11 PM
  #1  
PerlAddict
Community Moderator
Thread Starter
 
PerlAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 1,818
Default New Product: E-Flite F-16 in Thunderbird scheme

Just in case some folks haven't seen it yet (originally leaked by an early ad in Backyard Flyer that wasn't supposed to have gone to print):

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL7075


From David at Horizon Hobby:

Originally Posted by David Eichstedt
Info should be live on the web next Thursday. The ad was placed a while ago, then development saw a small delay, we got busy and forgot to pull the ad from this pub, and the next thing you know we're surprised by an ad for a model we haven't announced yet!

I won't bury you in details--there will be plenty of info including video once it hits the web next week. The fan unit is NOT the same one in the F-15, although it is also 65mm. The stock setup performs better than the F-15, but it's still not an ultimate speed airplane. There's enough thrust for loops & immelmans from level flight. It handles very nicely, which makes it a blast to fly.

With the surface details, the landing gear, the Thunderbird paint scheme, and the nice performance / handling qualities, we think there are enough points of difference from the other F-16s out there to make this one worth a look. (Not a sales pitch, just an explanation of what we were thinking when we decided to launch this project).

.....

The product is already on the water, so release date of late September or early October is pretty solid.


David Eichstedt
Horizon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EFLH7075-Act4.jpg
Views:	4411
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	77909   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFLH7075-Gal1.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	77910  
PerlAddict is offline  
Old 09-14-2008, 03:00 AM
  #2  
Bill G
Super Contrubutor
 
Bill G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Central PA
Posts: 4,422
Default

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Just in case some folks haven't seen it yet (originally leaked by an early ad in Backyard Flyer that wasn't supposed to have gone to print):

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL7075


From David at Horizon Hobby:
The product is already on the water, so release date of late September or early October is pretty solid.


David Eichstedt
Horizon
Cool!
An F16 with floats!
Bill G is offline  
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 AM
  #3  
ditchit
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 333
Default

Originally Posted by David Eichstedt
we think there are enough points of difference from the other F-16s out there to make this one worth a look.
Don't think so. Looks like every other 70mm F-16 out there and there are plenty. If it had retracts, maybe. If it was 90mm, maybe. Dear oh dear.
ditchit is offline  
Old 09-14-2008, 04:49 PM
  #4  
max2112
Super Contributor
 
max2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,550
Thumbs up I think it looks great.

Well, when you fly mostly by yourself like me it doesn't really matter if there a whole lot on the market. It's all about value, performance and customer service.



I think it's a great looking EDF and I am looking forward to reading the performance reviews!

Last edited by max2112; 09-14-2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: sp
max2112 is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 04:53 AM
  #5  
Bill G
Super Contrubutor
 
Bill G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Central PA
Posts: 4,422
Default

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
Well, when you fly mostly by yourself like me it doesn't really matter if there a whole lot on the market. It's all about value, performance and customer service.



I think it's a great looking EDF and I am looking forward to reading the performance reviews!
I think it looks nice too. Never really big on the Kyosho scheme and dark canopy glass. The HP is not as detailed in appearance as this one.
It's the first to get my interest. My just be the first ARF jet for me, if I get one.
Bill G is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 04:56 AM
  #6  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
Well, when you fly mostly by yourself like me it doesn't really matter if there a whole lot on the market. It's all about value, performance and customer service.



I think it's a great looking EDF and I am looking forward to reading the performance reviews!
Really!? I see you've been holding out on me
Angler-Hi is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 AM
  #7  
max2112
Super Contributor
 
max2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,550
Default Never!

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Really!? I see you've been holding out on me
Mike you know I've had the EDF bug since the first time I saw you toss the Intruder up!
max2112 is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 AM
  #8  
Ben D wing
Member
 
Ben D wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.K.
Posts: 263
Default

Why don't kit manufacturers make Cold War jets for a change instead of copying each other with bland modern planes. I would suggest an English Electric Lightening as a refreshing change, possibly the greatest plane of that era! Or the Russian Mig 25 'Foxbat'
Anyway, as for the F-16, why not all moving tailerons like the full size? It's got elevators and ailerons, yuk! Sorry E-flite, it's a none starter for me.
Ben D wing is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 01:50 PM
  #9  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

I agree! I really don't like the look of ailerons on a jet. It takes away from the scale look of things. Let's not even talk about rudders.

John, I was replying to the "flying by yourself" part of your post.
Angler-Hi is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 02:08 PM
  #10  
max2112
Super Contributor
 
max2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,550
Default

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
...John, I was replying to the "flying by yourself" part of your post.
ooohh. OK. I'm all caught up now.

I'd say 85% of my flying is when I meet up with you and the other 15% is in the schoolyard up from the house.

Back on topic. I think that's the trick isn't it? The companies have to react to what's popular and balance that with what's new and groundbreaking. I don't think anybody wants to go out on a limb for fear of losing $$s.
max2112 is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 02:20 PM
  #11  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
ooohh. OK. I'm all caught up now.

I'd say 85% of my flying is when I meet up with you and the other 15% is in the schoolyard up from the house.

Back on topic. I think that's the trick isn't it? The companies have to react to what's popular and balance that with what's new and groundbreaking. I don't think anybody wants to go out on a limb for fear of losing $$s.
I think that if manufacturers worried more about listening to their customers and making products based on what the consumer is looking for IN THAT product, and less time worrying about what every other companie is doing, they probably won't have to be so concerned about losing money.

The only EDF jets I've really seen with the actual tailerons are the balsa/fiberglass kits. You really don't see that too much with the foamies...which is actually leading me away from them.
Angler-Hi is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
  #12  
PerlAddict
Community Moderator
Thread Starter
 
PerlAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 1,818
Default

Phase3 F-16 has full-flying stabs. I believe the Starmax F-4E Phantom has full-flying stabs, as well.

Sadly, I don't know if I'll ever even fly my Phase3 F-16. I know it's supposed to be one heck of a little flyer, but with the E-Flite F-16 and the Famous Models F-16 at Hobby Lobby, I'm wanting something more scale-looking. Plus, I'm no artist and having a few pre-done schemes to choose from is appealing to me. I'm sitting here looking at my Phase3 F-16 thinking, "What in the world is this gonna look like once I attempt to paint it?"

I'm getting to where I want bigger planes ... I got spoiled looking at all the mammoths at SEFF and then coming home and flying my first .25 sized plane. And I know that if I have multiple F-16's, I'll probably only fly one or two of them. No sense in keeping a whole collection around.

Decisions, decisions. Probably will go with the Famous Models version over E-Flite's just because I like the grey military scheme better.
PerlAddict is offline  
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM
  #13  
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com
 
tommytorino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 494
Default

Saw this one fly at the NEAT fair, very nice indeed!

Tommy D
tommytorino is offline  
Old 09-20-2008, 07:29 PM
  #14  
Bill G
Super Contrubutor
 
Bill G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Central PA
Posts: 4,422
Default

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Phase3 F-16 has full-flying stabs. I believe the Starmax F-4E Phantom has full-flying stabs, as well.

Sadly, I don't know if I'll ever even fly my Phase3 F-16. I know it's supposed to be one heck of a little flyer, but with the E-Flite F-16 and the Famous Models F-16 at Hobby Lobby, I'm wanting something more scale-looking. Plus, I'm no artist and having a few pre-done schemes to choose from is appealing to me. I'm sitting here looking at my Phase3 F-16 thinking, "What in the world is this gonna look like once I attempt to paint it?"

I'm getting to where I want bigger planes ... I got spoiled looking at all the mammoths at SEFF and then coming home and flying my first .25 sized plane. And I know that if I have multiple F-16's, I'll probably only fly one or two of them. No sense in keeping a whole collection around.

Decisions, decisions. Probably will go with the Famous Models version over E-Flite's just because I like the grey military scheme better.
Can't be any worse than that silly stock scheme they use.
It does figure that the so called best flying one of the bunch (HP) is so plain looking.
Bill G is offline  
Old 09-20-2008, 09:09 PM
  #15  
elcamino
funflyer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 65
Default

hey perladdict the hp f-16 paints up real nice. Iv been useing h2o paints and they work real good im doing a black and yellow tiger right now this will be my second f-16. Put some paint on it and fly it on the deck at full power there just aint nothing like it and if you put it in 65$ puts you back in the air. cheap thrills !!!!
elcamino is offline  
Old 10-04-2008, 05:26 AM
  #16  
David Eichstedt
Horizon Hobby
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 43
Default

The E-flite F-16 shipped to dealers today.

David
Horizon
David Eichstedt is offline  
Old 10-04-2008, 10:00 AM
  #17  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

Originally Posted by David Eichstedt View Post
The E-flite F-16 shipped to dealers today.

David
Horizon
Sweet! I need another EDF anyways. Thanks David.
Angler-Hi is offline  
Old 10-04-2008, 04:53 PM
  #18  
Ben D wing
Member
 
Ben D wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.K.
Posts: 263
Default

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Sweet! I need another EDF anyways. Thanks David.
I see you've had a change of heart then .......
Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
.....The only EDF jets I've really seen with the actual tailerons are the balsa/fiberglass kits. You really don't see that too much with the foamies...which is actually leading me away from them.
Ben D wing is offline  
Old 10-04-2008, 06:16 PM
  #19  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

Originally Posted by Ben D wing View Post
I see you've had a change of heart then .......
SHHH...could you say it any louder? Yeah, I like some of them, but don't think I would buy a kit with a rudder. That's where I would have to draw the line:o
Angler-Hi is offline  
Old 10-05-2008, 04:28 AM
  #20  
VF84sluggo
Non-Communist
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 150
Default

Predictions on the other forum is that this will just be another EDF foamie that requires a bunch of $$$ poured into it to get good performance.
VF84sluggo is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 06:30 PM
  #21  
jayxer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 61
Default

why are some of you against ailerons on the F-16. The actual fighter had ailerons. The "tailerons" were there to assist and improve stability during high speed maneuvers.

Has anyone got an educated opinion on which F-16 is better, between the Famous Models F-16 from HL, or the E-Flite? I've ordered the one from HL, but it isn't due to be in stock for a few weeks yet, so I could cancel and get he E-flite yet. I just saw the E-flite and it is cheaper (yet smaller). Opinions?
jayxer is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 07:08 PM
  #22  
Fly Time
Ask me how I know
 
Fly Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 2,142
Default

Originally Posted by jayxer View Post
why are some of you against ailerons on the F-16. The actual fighter had ailerons. The "tailerons" were there to assist and improve stability during high speed maneuvers.

Has anyone got an educated opinion on which F-16 is better, between the Famous Models F-16 from HL, or the E-Flite? I've ordered the one from HL, but it isn't due to be in stock for a few weeks yet, so I could cancel and get he E-flite yet. I just saw the E-flite and it is cheaper (yet smaller). Opinions?
I don't think the E-Flite F-16 is necessarily cheaper to get it into the air, since it only comes with motor and fan unit. You still have to buy servos, ESC and Rx. The H-L F-16 is receiver ready if I'm not mistaken. It even comes with a 4 cell lipo. You may be able to get all of that for the $100 price difference, but not if you are installing brand name components. Of course there is no way the H-L model comes with brand name stuff installed

Both look really nice. Decisions, decisions...

Edit: Personally, I love the Thunderbirds paint scheme! Good call E-Flite!
Fly Time is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 PM
  #23  
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome
 
DetroitHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,160
Default

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
I think it looks nice too. Never really big on the Kyosho scheme and dark canopy glass. The HP is not as detailed in appearance as this one.
It's the first to get my interest. My just be the first ARF jet for me, if I get one.
Never mind what the kyosho plane looked like, it was a fighter plane that handles ALMOST as good as a blimp. The kyosho F-16 was a real dog in the air; which for a fighter plane is a damn shame.
DetroitHawk is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 04:17 AM
  #24  
VF84sluggo
Non-Communist
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 150
Default

Saw first-hand one of these new e-Flite T-Bird F-16's today at the LHS. I was all excited, we opened the box...and it looks pregnant. Seems too thick in the side-view. Bummer.
VF84sluggo is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 PM
  #25  
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome
 
DetroitHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,160
Default

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo View Post
Saw first-hand one of these new e-Flite T-Bird F-16's today at the LHS. I was all excited, we opened the box...and it looks pregnant. Seems too thick in the side-view. Bummer.

Maybe it will have baby F-18s if you but it.
DetroitHawk is offline  

Quick Reply: New Product: E-Flite F-16 in Thunderbird scheme


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13567 seconds with 12 queries