Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

PZ F4U Corsair

Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Aviator24

Took my Motor Mount Screw out. It has BEEN CUT!! Again, I purchased this PKZ Corsair from my LHS on Sept 26th. They must be cutting the screw that was puncturing the battery at the factory!!
Sweet...
Old 10-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Aviator24

Default Power 10 and 30A esc...

I thought I read in the HH Catalog, the Power 10 can be controlled just fine with a 30A ESC
Anyone else using this setup with the stock ESC OK???

Originally Posted by Bad_B View Post
Aviator24,
I know you can mount E-fliteís Power 10 directly to the stock motor mount with no modifications. The power 10 will require an upgrade in the ESC to a 35A minimum. Iím not sure what the stock battery on the RTF version of the Corsair is, but if its 2000 mAh 3s lipo you should be fine. I just cut and pasted the following from another post I made about a T-28 motor upgrade:
The E-flite Power 10 puts out 371 watts using the battery I mentioned above and a 12 x 6 prop which would yield 185.5 watts per lb off my watt meter. Iím using a Thunderbird 36A ESC with mine, but the specs say it can run off a 35A- 40A ESC. At 150-200 watts per lb you enter what E-flite calls unlimited performance. Well, I can say I am very, very happy on this setup. All the power I want is there and I didnít have to glass the wings, run carbon spars etc. The Power 10 was an easy swap, no drilling extra holes etc. The CG was spot on too, so no nasty tail weight was needed. The power 10 was $74.99 at my LHS. Spend the extra money and youíll have no regrets.

Another thing to consider is the application of this power. The plane is fast, but not unmanageable and I donít have to program any expo into my radio to fly it either. You will need to be careful with your throttle control, donít use wide open throttle for more than 15 seconds at a time and make sure you let it cool down a bit between max bursts. I get an easy 11 minutes of mixed flight time off the Power 10 setup and 15 + when I just use the power to gain altitude then glide down.
As far as simply running a larger prop on the stock motor or running a 4s lipo and getting better performance, I doubt it. Google motorcalc (free for 30 days?) and enter the specs of the prop, motor, battery, weight, wing loading etc and it will give you a rough idea if the weight to performance ratio will work.

Hope that helps,

Brian
Old 10-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Motor

My stock motor gave out yesterday. Kinda glad it did. Here is what I did to mine. 340 watts, 32 amps on a 9X7.5. Weighs 29oz AUW with a 2100 TP 3cell. Test flight this morning (in too much wind) went well, maybe a little tail heavy. I'll have to figure out how to get the battery forward more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	corsairaxi3.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	80759  
Old 10-16-2008, 09:26 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Gohmer,

Can you please post another picture as the one you posted is kind of White Out and I can not follow your motor mounting method.

Can you tell us how you mounted that motor and what AXI motor is it?

Thanks!
Carlos
Old 10-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Motor mount

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Gohmer,

Can you please post another picture as the one you posted is kind of White Out and I can not follow your motor mounting method.

Can you tell us how you mounted that motor and what AXI motor is it?

Thanks!
Carlos
Sure

AXI 2808/24 mounted to the stock firewall adapter with 3/4" nylon spacers and #4 button head sheet metal screws. Used a firewall mount adapter from a 22 series motor. I needed 4 nylon washers between the prop and prop adapter to get the right spacing. Cowl hole carved out to fit. Used the AXI motor firewall adapter as a pattern to drill the holes for the spacer screws. Stock spinner nut fit the AXI prop adapter!

Nylon washers and spacers are regular hardware stuff. Button head sheet metal screws from hobby shop.

Name:	corsairaxi.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	80822  
Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 PM
papabatman

anyone want to sell the stock motor
Old 10-19-2008, 02:46 PM
pegneck

which way does the Parkzone Corsair prop turn: clockwise or counter clockwise
Old 10-19-2008, 03:46 PM
papabatman

as long as air is being push back towards the cock pit that is the correct direction. you test that, and then tell use which way that is
Old 10-19-2008, 06:43 PM
papabatman

Originally Posted by pegneck View Post
which way does the Parkzone Corsair prop turn: clockwise or counter clockwise

i keep thinking about this and it is very confusing so i think i got it though

ok i could use pictures of a stock bird that i would have to go take or maybe this help

how i understand it is if you have a see through clock and do not turn it around with you as you look then it the same both was

hope this helps it help me

Name:	counter clockwise.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	81007   Click image for larger version

Name:	clockwise.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	81008  

Last edited by papabatman; 10-20-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
pegneck

clockwise sitting in the cockpit....counter clockwise looking from the front
Old 10-19-2008, 11:48 PM
LectricPlane

LOL.
If you ever flew glow you'd never ask that question... Think about it this way. If you wanted to spin the prop by hand you'd always use your Right hand to flick it accross to the left...
Old 10-30-2008, 11:29 AM
humboldt guy

Default Short aileron travel

A buddy just picked up an RTF PZ Corsair. He has the tx on high rates, servo arms at outermost holes and control arms at innermost hole. Aileron travel is still very short, my Trojan (and his) rolls much faster. We can't figure out why the travel is so short. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 PM
pegneck

the servo arm might be stripped...had mine do the same on another plane. I just reposition the arm,then screwed the arm down.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 AM
papabatman

new trick for me. flying inverted for laps also made a video so it is inverted inverted video so upside down is right side up cut some grass with the prop but had some sun in the way too best i can do for now about 2:55 into listen close
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDNVXZkcYHs[/media]
Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 AM
1320fastback

deleated

Last edited by 1320fastback; 11-16-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:13 PM
merctech

Default stock speed

How fast would you guys say the corsair is flying level full throttle. Compared to a stryker C stock?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:07 PM
FuzzzMan

I upgraded my corsair from the stock motor to an eflight power 15 with an 11/7 prop and its pretty quick.. I burnt out the ESC after the 1st flight and upgraded to a 40amp with no problems using a 2200mah 11.1v 3cell lipo 20C.... awsome upgrade!!!
I am now in the process of fiberglassing one just for fun.. any hints or suggestions on fiberglassing over the stock foam would be helpfull.. thanks
Old 11-15-2008, 05:15 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Originally Posted by merctech View Post
How fast would you guys say the corsair is flying level full throttle. Compared to a stryker C stock?
Stock, on a 2 blade... Hmmmm 50-60 MPH?

That's my best guess and an optimistic one at that.

Tommy D
Old 11-16-2008, 12:06 PM
mk4-mat

After weeks of reading about you guys flying your corsairs i managed to find a few hours to maiden mine this morning before the great uk rain started againiv had it ready for a good month or so but today was going to be the day,
so i got up at 8am with my 5 year old lad in toe,and within a 5 min walk we was down the fields with my faithfull art-tech p51 and the new un marked corsair and a flight case full of lipos,after reading all the posts on here i knew it shouldnt bring up any nasty suprises unless id set sumthing up wrong so i settled myself by running a 2200 lipo through the mustang(i so love that plane,although not fast by any means it ticks all the boxes for me and its my first warbird)
then after checking the set up on the corsair a few time,she went out of my hand without any dramas once at a nice hight she only needing a few trim clicks for a nice level flight,with the rain clouds getting ever nearer i managed 3 flights,2 on 3 cell 2200 lipos without any issues and i also tryed out a 4cell 2200 aswell she sure does shift!!
to say im very pleased with this bird is an understatment
just cant wait to fly it again thursday with any luck,

cheers,
mat.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:36 PM
whitehawk
What does this button do?

Originally Posted by mk4-mat View Post
After weeks of reading about you guys flying your corsairs i managed to find a few hours to maiden mine this morning before the great uk rain started againiv had it ready for a good month or so but today was going to be the day,
so i got up at 8am with my 5 year old lad in toe,and within a 5 min walk we was down the fields with my faithfull art-tech p51 and the new un marked corsair and a flight case full of lipos,after reading all the posts on here i knew it shouldnt bring up any nasty suprises unless id set sumthing up wrong so i settled myself by running a 2200 lipo through the mustang(i so love that plane,although not fast by any means it ticks all the boxes for me and its my first warbird)
then after checking the set up on the corsair a few time,she went out of my hand without any dramas once at a nice hight she only needing a few trim clicks for a nice level flight,with the rain clouds getting ever nearer i managed 3 flights,2 on 3 cell 2200 lipos without any issues and i also tryed out a 4cell 2200 aswell she sure does shift!!
to say im very pleased with this bird is an understatment
just cant wait to fly it again thursday with any luck,

cheers,
mat.
Congrats Mat on your maiden of the corsair! I love mine. Which prop did you choose to go with?

Regards,

Tim
Old 11-16-2008, 04:58 PM
mk4-mat

tim,i went with the stock 2 blade prop for now,im new to all this electric flight with planes my first electric plane was the art-tech p51 so in at the deep end,i wanted to learn but also with sumthing that looked good aswell,its now clocked up over 100 flights with only a broken wing and motor mount to date which happened within the first few flights,did use a sim for a few weeks first which i found helped me no end and ive spent hours reading up on here as to what works and what sucks,but i can honestly say after today im buzzing
such a joy to fly this bird and i can see my hanger growing with a few more planes from now on,
love the site,very helpfull info,papas video are fantastic viewing and made me wana try 4cell

cheers mat.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:26 PM
papabatman

Originally Posted by mk4-mat View Post
tim,i went with the stock 2 blade prop for now,im new to all this electric flight with planes my first electric plane was the art-tech p51 so in at the deep end,i wanted to learn but also with sumthing that looked good aswell,its now clocked up over 100 flights with only a broken wing and motor mount to date which happened within the first few flights,did use a sim for a few weeks first which i found helped me no end and ive spent hours reading up on here as to what works and what sucks,but i can honestly say after today im buzzing
such a joy to fly this bird and i can see my hanger growing with a few more planes from now on,
love the site,very helpfull info,papas video are fantastic viewing and made me wana try 4cell

cheers mat.

thanks i real, real, real like this plane, and i have a ok size hanger, but if i can only fly once i grab my corsair

4s keep the stock prop and never worry about it hurting any thing
Old 11-16-2008, 06:47 PM
mk4-mat

Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
thanks i real, real, real like this plane, and i have a ok size hanger, but if i can only fly once i grab my corsair

4s keep the stock prop and never worry about it hurting any thing
sounds good to me it is plenty fast enough for what i want,love your vids papa,would you be kind enough to tell me what camera set up your using as the wife is asking what i want for xmas and that ticks all the boxes,ive been wanting to post up on here for sumtime,so today i had sumthing worth posting,im still buzzing now,cant wait till thursday so i can go out again if its not raining
Old 11-16-2008, 07:37 PM
papabatman

New Jazz Elite HDV178 HI-DEF Video Camera!

now i have crashed this camera three time hard in to pavement she is kinda sick now

but 5oz of fun

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1818816[/media]

here is 80 more enjoy

Name:	PB100086.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	83961   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9230035.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	83963  
Old 11-16-2008, 08:28 PM
mk4-mat

Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
New Jazz Elite HDV178 HI-DEF Video Camera!

now i have crashed this camera three time hard in to pavement she is kinda sick now

but 5oz of fun

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1818816[/media]

here is 80 more enjoy
cheers for that

Quick Reply: PZ F4U Corsair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12628 seconds with 17 queries