Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

PZ F4U Corsair

Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 PM
wilmracer

Maidened mine on Sunday but it was too windy to get her dialed in. Flights 2 and 3 were last night and she flies beautifully. Definitely a great little plane. I'll buy a beer for the whoever comes up with a set of rotating retracts for this model...

and if anyone at parkzone is listening... I'll take an F6F next please... (hey... those rotating retracts would work great there too )
Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Hillbille,

Any Eagle Tree Data yet?

How about telling us the top speed comparison between the STOCK propeller and that of GWS 3-Blade 10 X 6 X 3?
Sorry - not yet - time, time, wind, and time!! LOL!!
Couldn;t do a comparison of the GWS prop against the stocker cause the stock 3 blade and 2 blade are not flyable - won't balance!! But I will set up the RPM (brushless in line) with the ETV3 when I can and post the results.

Hillbille
Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 PM
ggunners

Default New PZ F4U Corsair for FMS sim

Hello all,

I just finished an FMS model of the PZ Corsair.

If any of you get the chance to try it out, please compare it to
the stock Corsair and let me know what needs changing.

Thanks!

-- ggunners
Old 09-18-2008, 11:38 PM
wilmracer

Nice! I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know how she feels compared to the real thing ...

If there was a field near the office we could sneak out and you could try out mine for yourself... but I haven't found anyplace that would be good for this in Tysons.

Originally Posted by ggunners View Post
Hello all,

I just finished an FMS model of the PZ Corsair.

If any of you get the chance to try it out, please compare it to
the stock Corsair and let me know what needs changing.

Thanks!

-- ggunners
Old 09-19-2008, 01:19 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

My little brother did a great job holding the camera while I pushed the plane through the air.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:24 AM
ChimneyGuy71
There's no crying in RC!

Enjoyed that video very much. Especially liked the song you picked. Good job.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Great Vid'in there Chipmonk!!!!, ( you done good too monkeyBub!)bub,steve
Old 09-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Very nice video and sound track Fred. I love Five for Fighting- I hadn't heard the acoustic version of "Superman" before. Great tune. You are really wringing that Corsair out! That's about how fast I fly and I can barely keep up with my warbird.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Finally got mine in the air today. Really flies nice. No problems. Lots of power and the two blade prop was perfectly balanced. The three balded prop was way off with one heavy blade. I gave up on trying to balance it.

I don't have a brother to video mine, even if I had a video camera. I will need to get one as soon as I get my AP plane built.

Really good job on the editing, Fred. You and your bro have a thing goin.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:44 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

thanks for the comments guys.

I've passed them on to the chipmunk, who just turned 30 yesterday.

I am not sure if he quite grasps the concept that someone else is writing them, and that it's not just me writing on the computer. But when I just tell him my friends like the work he did, you can tell he's enjoying the praise.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:28 AM
ggunners

Originally Posted by wilmracer View Post
Nice! I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know how she feels compared to the real thing ...
Updated the model so it no longer has the antenna (a 2.4Ghz thing) and the roll rate is reduced.

Also cleaned up the 3D model a bit and added the canopy struts that are on the original.

Get the new and improved FMS Corsair model.

-- ggunners
Old 09-24-2008, 08:20 PM
papabatman

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1801221[/media]

here is my input my flights enjoy

http://www.vimeo.com/1803648

used a Jazz (HDV-178) True High Definition 11MP ...

Last edited by papabatman; 09-29-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:05 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

IMPORTANT TIP!!!!

Whatever you do, do not attempt to bend that main landing gear wire without taking it out from the Plastic Wing mount as you will certainly crack that mount and insert tube if you apply too much pressure while bending the wire.

I learned this the hard way and fortunately, I did not cause too much damage on the Plastic Wing Mount and I had to remove the entire assembly off the wing. I used a small screwdriver and lifted the entire plastic mount with wire and all out. I cleaned off the rubbery glue residue and proceeded to re-enforce the cracked plastic mount and used 5-minute epoxy.

Once the entire main landing gear with the plastic mount was removed, I then proceeded to remove the Wire out from the Plastic mount and using medium size pliers I bent the main landing gear "Wire" itself back to it's required angle and once the epoxy was cured, I re-installed the Landing Gear Wire back onto the Plastic mount. Using 5-minute epoxy, I glued back the entire main landing gear assembly back on the wing.

I have attached some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P9270066.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	79388   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9270067.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	79389   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9270065.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	79390   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9270068.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	79391   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9270064.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	79392  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9270063.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	79393  
Old 09-28-2008, 03:41 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Gunners, I'll have to get my friend on that plane. He has FMS, and he's been learning on a GWS Corsair I gave him, with a buddy cord.

Flying Monkey, that has to be about the easiest handlaunching park warbird I've ever seen. Just floated out of your hand.

Guapoman, are those stock plastic "locks" actually strong enough to hold the gear wire without breaking?
It is a nice idea though, as I've basically done the same thing by attaching nylon gear wire clips (cut in half) on GWS mounts.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:22 AM
papabatman

guapoman2000 thank you. you have done a great job of breaking it down, and repairing them. to late for me. i have cracked ,bented, and or beat mine up there is so much glue that it is scary. still working just not great. i do have over 100 flight on this bird with that many landings plus, not a good lander carring a 5 oz camera around ether. i should have done what you did a lot sooner so i am sure you have at least saved some before it was to late. this plane is so much fun
Old 09-28-2008, 01:46 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Guapoman, are those stock plastic "locks" actually strong enough to hold the gear wire without breaking?
It is a nice idea though, as I've basically done the same thing by attaching nylon gear wire clips (cut in half) on GWS mounts.
Yes, the Park Zone F4U Corsair and T-28 Trojan's plastic main landing gear wire "locks" are very strong. In a hard landing the entire assembly would rip off the wing before the "lock" will break.

Oh, do you have any pictures showing the nylon gear wire clips on the GWS mounts?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Yes, the Park Zone F4U Corsair and T-28 Trojan's plastic main landing gear wire "locks" are very strong. In a hard landing the entire assembly would rip off the wing before the "lock" will break.

Oh, do you have any pictures showing the nylon gear wire clips on the GWS mounts?

Thanks!
I know I have one but can't find it as usual. Have to take one when I take more pics, which I usually do daily.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:18 PM
papabatman

remember high winds are not always are friend

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1835552[/media]

doesn't show crash

Last edited by papabatman; 09-29-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:20 PM
wilmracer

Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
remember high winds are not alwasys are friend

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1835552[/media]

doesn't show crash
You're not kidding. I wouldn't have flown anything I didn't want to destroy with winds like that. I've only got about 20 flights on my corsair and I'm not tired of it yet.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:10 PM
papabatman

so what i learned from this is. one, just cause you think you can doesn't mean you should. two, if you do, and get away with it doesn't mean do it again. three, crashed bird is no fun still waiting for parts. yep dumb
Old 09-30-2008, 05:00 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

From what I've seen, the EPP Parkzone uses doesn't hold up very well in crashes, and the "big as a basketball" foam beads cause it to break out/mash into horribly irreparable sections. Seems like they may just be better off using good ol' beer cooler foam, which often breaks more cleanly and repairably.

There are trade offs to either though. I just landed my new Eflite SeaFury in weeds that are getting a bit hard and dry in the fall. The beer cooler foam they use is considerably lower grade than standard issue GWS foam. Since this is the second time in 2 flights repairing some gouges in the wing LE and it's getting old quick, I coated the LE after repairs with a few layers of epoxy and pretty closely matched touch up paint. Looked better than I expected, after dusting a layer of flat clear over the areas.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Bill G,

No problem, whenever you get a chance to take the picture that will be fine.

================================================== ==

That Video certainly shows lots of wind but, like a few have already pointed out, the Video does not show the actual flight nor crash so, no telling if the winds were at fault for the damage shown in the Video.

I have flown my PZ Corsair in 12 MPH gusts and was excellent flyer and still could manage the wind. It came down dead stick for a landing using rudder to keep the wings level.

I suspect that it was more like Pilot error that cause the damage "or" RC Flyer Judgement issue should the winds were indeed that much and the model was attempted to fly in that.

Carlos
Old 09-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Bill G,

No problem, whenever you get a chance to take the picture that will be fine.

================================================== ==

That Video certainly shows lots of wind but, like a few have already pointed out, the Video does not show the actual flight nor crash so, no telling if the winds were at fault for the damage shown in the Video.

I have flown my PZ Corsair in 12 MPH gusts and was excellent flyer and still could manage the wind. It came down dead stick for a landing using rudder to keep the wings level.

I suspect that it was more like Pilot error that cause the damage "or" RC Flyer Judgement issue should the winds were indeed that much and the model was attempted to fly in that.

Carlos
Yep these larger/heavier foam park warbirds can handle some pretty hellacious winds with no problem. It's actually good experience, as it teaches things like keeping speed up on downwind legs and turns, and not excessively climbing/stalling when turning back into the wind.

These newer well powereed bl planes let you get away with a lot also. Fortunately, I learned to hand launch with brushed warbirds that barely had enough power to fly and were not launch forgiving.
I basically botched the last 2 throws with my SeaFury, but had no problem straightening them out, with all the power a long can inrunner (or powerful outrunner for some) has. Threw into the wing and went up at 45 degrees. Saved with no problem. That would have been a stall/crash with my older short can 370 setups. Yesterday's lauch went toward the ground, but no problem pulling up with reasonable power. I've been spoiled with these planes lately.

On the Corsair, from what I've seen in videos it flys well, and very similar to the GWS Corsair I'm gave to my flying buddy. It has to be the best dead stick lander I've had. Wasn't always that way, but with the CG at 26% it's excellent. One thing I've been paying more attention to lately is CG. I used to set conservatively forward and say "good enough". What I've found lately with especially the Corsair and a few other planes, is that 1 percentage point makes a massive difference in landing qualities. I'm setting them now as far rearward as possible to still not have dangerous spin properties, but making the off power landing/glide much better.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Bill G., and others.

I forgot to report that on three occasions, I have brought my PZ F4U Corsair up five (5) mistakes high and on level flight I completely shut down the MOTOR all the way to Null (OFF) and applied FULL UP Elevator.

What did the model do?

The model just mushed forward slightly with level wings and to my shock and surprise, it did not wing down. I maintained UP Elevator saying to myself... "Any Moment now!!" I could not believe what I witnessed.

The model just fluttered forward like a kite!!!

Unbelievable.....! What a model!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Bill G., and others.

I forgot to report that on three occasions, I have brought my PZ F4U Corsair up five (5) mistakes high and on level flight I completely shut down the MOTOR all the way to Null (OFF) and applied FULL UP Elevator.

What did the model do?

The model just mushed forward slightly with level wings and to my shock and surprise, it did not wing down. I maintained UP Elevator saying to myself... "Any Moment now!!" I could not believe what I witnessed.

The model just fluttered forward like a kite!!!

Unbelievable.....! What a model!
I think the gull wing, when done right, gives a very stable model. I've also heard of Corsairs being a terror too, when they get the wing wrong, like Wattage did, by making the chord too short.
Here's the clip gear attachment too. The base is actually a GWS base, under the covering. The clips are nylon strut clips, cut in half. The trick is to slowly shave a bit out of the opening, until it is easy to lock in, but still locks tight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FW190_A3_gear_leg_clip.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	79632  

Quick Reply: PZ F4U Corsair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14572 seconds with 18 queries