Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

First Plane - Easy Fly ST330

Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Deadstick 101

Default First Plane - Easy Fly ST330

Well I was going to buy a Electrafun but the guy at the shop said these Easy Fly ST330 Sailplane are the go. From what I have read I can't wait to set it up and give it a spin.
I live in NSW Australia and have wanted to get into this for years. So what can I expect from this plane?, I think it is very similar if nort exactly the same as the Easy Glide. Anyway I am sure I will have a thousand questions but I am looking forward to my first flight. Is there anything I should know prior to taking off? I plan on doing some test throws with no power to trim the plane so it glides with the stick central. Should I just use the rudder for steering at first or should I go all out?

Steve
Old 08-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Jaiwill

hey deadstick,
you did the right thing i was shown the easyfly aswell. Ive had it a few months now and have never looked back, you will be more than happy....

Ive got a few threads on it first thermals etc..
http://http://www.wattflyer.com/foru...ad.php?t=38309

The only thing you'll have to do is charge the battery.....
Look forward to you posts on this..
Happy flying......cheers

Whether you use the ailerons or not depends on experience a bit. If this is your very first flight ever just throw it and let it glide straight, do this until your sick of it. then give yourself plenty of room and go for it get some height and just keep it simple... dont fly low as most beginners think is right this just opens you up for wreckage, get away from ground. this plane is slow and docile great for beginner....
Old 08-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Deadstick 101

Thanks mate, I have to wait till fathers day next week before I can have it. But have done many test flights in my head and am ready to go. The Mrs lay-buyed me a $600 gas powered off-road buggy, but I could not justify the expence and the on going expence, plus I am much more pumped about this.

Steve
Old 08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Deadstick 101

Also whats all this talk about the centre of gravity? Do I need to worry about this with this plane? Also how hard are they to trim? and once its done do I have to do it again?

Steve
Old 08-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Jaiwill

hey mate,
nah centre of gravity is good in this plane. when you open the canopy the lipo battery goes just under the canopy clip slides back under wing. this is the main thing just make sure you slide it right back "carefully". im at work for a bit over a week yet then ill be home i could send you some pics of little things like that.. ive made some mods to mine over the time due to "accidents" and to make things a little better but you dont need to worry about them just yet. COG doesnt change unless you nose it in and battery moves forward or something like that... its just the balance of the plane.. and with this one its already good...

While your waiting for plane get yourself a flight simulator there are lots of threads here on these and get some practice it is invaluable.. I have realflight G4 but its expensive. there are a lot of free ones you can use with a normal game pad. just set the sticks for the same functions as a real transmitter... just google anything your looking for... Cheers for now
Old 08-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Deadstick 101

Cool. How do I change the Mode of the transmitter to Mode 2? I think that I want the main controls on the left joystick like a real plane.

Steve
Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 AM
kaindub

Hi
I'm in Oz as well.
My advice would be to leave the transmitter on Mode 1.
99% of Ozzy flyers are on Mode 1.
Whilst it is and will be possible for you to learn by yourself, one day you will need the help of a fellow flyer.
I they fly a different mode to you then its difficult for them to test your plane or to give you instructions.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Jaiwill

Yep, everyone different some do fly in mode 2 its a matter of preference.. but remember it is a very small percentage that do. It's up to you but i would stay with mode one if it not too much of a hassle for you. The easyfly is set up very well and is basically ready to go.. Do most of your browsing and posting in the beginners section there is an endless supply of people who will help. i think ill be there for a long time yet..lol.......cheers
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Jaiwill

Hey deadstick,
We must be the luckiest guys in aus, the wife has told me that her and my older kids are putting some money together for fathers day and i can spend it at a RC shop....wooohooo...

Not sure what i want yet. I really want the Spektrum DX7 and receivers/servos otherwise will end up with a hobby room full of Transmitters...but have bin told thats a little over budget. So will have to settle for another RTF.. Maybe cessna T206 or spitfire/mustang...

Bet your hanging out for sunday. Im still up north working wont be home till thurs after fathers day... Looking forward to that day in Perth shopping...

Cheeeers for now
Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
zman2008

Default Easy Fly ST330 Motor and Prop

Can somebody tell me what size motor and prop come with this plane? Or suggestions for reasonable replacements? I have a box full of pieces from two Easy Flys that I'm trying to rebuild and no motors or props.

You help and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Zman
Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
EasyFly0311

Default Motor replacement EasyFly

Zman:
The motor replacement can be found at euromodels.com.au
If you are making at new motormount, make sure it is at least a 3-3.5 mm plywood or similar, as this motormount is where ALL the energy will go in case of uncontrolled earth contact . When I took mine out for replacement it was in five (5!) pieces.

The EasyFly is a wonderful beginners plane!

Regards
Allan