Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Kyosho Intruder...Down!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM
John Seidelman

Nope that is the same bird A-3-d only in the bomber version. You can see the carrier down in the corner
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by John Seidelman View Post
Nope that is the same bird A-3-d only in the bomber version. You can see the carrier down in the corner
Ok. I guess the large vertical stab and wings threw me off a bit. I like that nice silhouette shot though.

I'll be repairing her today and this time I hope I won't have any problems with her. After she crashed yesterday, I put the battery back in her right there on the spot and gave her half throttle. She scooted right along in the grass. That told me that she had enough thrust to gain airspeed. I'm almost wondering if I had her at full throttle when I launched her. This time there will be no mistakes. My love for this model won't allow me to quit on her!! I WILL get her back in the air where she belongs. Here's a few pics of the damage:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0875.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	74645   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0876.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	74646   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0877.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	74647   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0878.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	74648   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0879.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	74649  

Old 08-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default Ya Know What's Really Sad!?

Ya know what's really sad...when your repair skills surpass your flying skills!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default At it again.

Well I'm at it again. All the pieces have been hot glued back together and now I need to fill in the dents and small areas of missing foam with the light weight spackle. I'll post pics when the spackle's been applied. this will be the last attempt to rebuild her. If she fails the maiden tomorrow, I will strip her of all electronics and retire her. Here is the VERY short video of what happened on the flight following the repairs:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoxACnenxPk[/media]
Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Ya know what's really sad...when your repair skills surpass your flying skills!
Wow Mike! WTF!! This reminds me of my Brio. Spent more time fixing than flying. Its now in its proper place hanging over my son's bed. Hopefully things work out better for you with this plane
Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

After watching the video over and over and OVER...I noticed she had definitely stalled. There was no doubt about it. But I've flown this plane so many times with perfect flights...until I lost sight of her behind that damn tree. I know that I launched her way too steep and that's what caused the stall. When I'm done, I will check EVERYTHING before the flight. I'll even be reconfirming the CG. Here's where she stands right now:

Name:	HPIM0887.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	74674  
Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Once I get her sanded back to normal, I'll post more pics before the paintjob...then pics after the touch-up paint. She's going back together better than I thought she would. Now let's just see if I can make her look as good as before...and fly the same as before as well!!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:38 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I'm working on the paint right now. I could have used a little more spackle in a few places, but we'll see how the flight goes first. If all is well and back to normal, I'll give her full attention in the look. I'll get some pics posted when I'm done.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:39 AM
John Seidelman

Looks as it is going back together again. Strange how easy it seems to watch you fixing her each time. In the vid you would have thought that you were high enough to drop the nose and get it to fly instead of stalling. But they just don't have the thrust needed to pull out of stalls. I guess that's why there is so much UPGRADING in this hobby.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Looks as it is going back together again. Strange how easy it seems to watch you fixing her each time. In the vid you would have thought that you were high enough to drop the nose and get it to fly instead of stalling. But they just don't have the thrust needed to pull out of stalls. I guess that's why there is so much UPGRADING in this hobby.
Well I've thought of upgrading her, but really just enjoyed her as is. I mean if it's not broken, don't fix it. I can understand wanting more speed and power, but for the money I paid (bought from fellow watthead) I think she flies just fine for me.

I don't want to put the time and energy into the body work just to have her crash again, so I'm gonna wait until I fly her tomorrow before going through all that.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:55 AM
John Seidelman

Understood, But it is a shame that they don't sell them better to start with.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:13 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Understood, But it is a shame that they don't sell them better to start with.
Oh I agree. A little more thrust would be nice.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

She's finally back together...AGAIN! I'll get her up in the morning and take video. Keep your fingers crossed!

Name:	HPIM0893.jpg
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	74694   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0894.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	74695   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0895.jpg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	74696   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0896.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	74697  
Old 08-07-2008, 04:46 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Looks good Mike. Nice Job!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:51 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Looks good Mike. Nice Job!
Thanks Bill, but it's only a "nice job" if she flies again. I went over all the electronics quite extensively and all is up to par. I reconfrimed the CG and she's good to go. All control surfaces are in good shape as well as control horns nice and tight with no slop. Did a range check a little while ago and she is good to go. Fan housing is secure and looks good. I have a fully charged battery and everything for the flight in the morning. Other than that, I don't know what else to check for a flight with a newly repaired plane.

Mike
Old 08-07-2008, 04:55 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

sounds like you about have it covered. Good luck on the re-maiden.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
sounds like you about have it covered. Good luck on the re-maiden.
Thanks again Bill! It just feels like everytime I feel like I'm coming up in this hobby, something goes wrong that just beats up my confidence. Hopefully she flies like before. When she crashed the very first time, it was my first flight with her. The damage was almost identical. I took her home, applied some hot glue and she was ready to go back out an hour later...she flew GREAT!! I never had so much fun. I'd give anything to get that back. I really love this plane.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:13 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Bud that's just how it goes sometimes. One of the best flyers in our club dorked in a 25cc gasser last year because, well, stuff happens.

He worked on it and worked on it to get her back in shape and finally got her back in the air... then he let me fly it!

It's all part of the hobby bud. You'll get it back. I have confidence in ya!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Bill.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:28 AM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Crashing is all part of the game and keeps it interesting. It's been so long since I crashed I sort of feel like I'm missing out.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Mr. Baggins View Post
Crashing is all part of the game and keeps it interesting. It's been so long since I crashed I sort of feel like I'm missing out.
Shoot....come fly with me, I've been a crash magnet for the last two days. Thanks for the reply friend...I need all the confidence I can get right now. I'm really nervous about putting her tomorrow. I'm going to do it in an old favorite spot. It's full of 4ft tall safari grass. It's like walking on mattresses.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Something to check, if you have not. In the 2 crashes, could the fan blades be coming in contact with the shroud. This might cause a loss of power. A glance at the shroud to look for rub marks might be worthwhile.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Something to check, if you have not. In the 2 crashes, could the fan blades be coming in contact with the shroud. This might cause a loss of power. A glance at the shroud to look for rub marks might be worthwhile.
Thanks Rabbit. Believe it or not that was the first thing I was inspecting when putting her back together...it's pretty easy when the whole nose of the plane is missing.

Well I took her out for the maiden. She flew! She was a little nose heavy and I'm not surprised with all the hot glue in that area. I was actually counting on it. I trimmed her out and she was good to go. She seems to have the same amount of power and speed which I'm happy about, but she seems to still want to stall if I go too steep. That's one thing I need to take a look at. I'm used to climbing at a steeper rate than what she's allowing me to do now. Here's the video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WaNRDG9uyA[/media]
Old 08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well I'm gonna take her out again this evening for another flight and see if I can get her to perform a bit better. I may just be paranoid, but I could swear she was capable of climbing at a slightly steeper rate than what she's doing now. That stall is really scaring me right now.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Olias

Talking

Wow! Nice repair job Mike. But we gotta know.....did the pilot live!??

Bryan

Quick Reply: Kyosho Intruder...Down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16146 seconds with 23 queries