General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

house fly

Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 PM
  #1  
pappy60
Member
Thread Starter
 
pappy60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: georgetown,IN
Posts: 66
Default house fly

I have a question for all you high time pilots,How does a house fly land on the ceiling , does he do a half roll or a half loop
pappy60 is offline  
Old 07-24-2008, 11:20 PM
  #2  
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator
 
Rabbitcreekok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: McAlester, Oklahoma
Posts: 10,578
Default

Here you go, pappy. This explains it all. Not at all like you would expect.
Rabbitcreekok is online now  
Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 AM
  #3  
pappy60
Member
Thread Starter
 
pappy60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: georgetown,IN
Posts: 66
Thumbs up re:fly

well as usual, I ask a question here, and in no time at all I have been given an excellent answer.I do not know how it happens but some one always know the answer. And takes the time to reply. I hope to be able to do this some day to repay all of you nice people
pappy60 is offline  
Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 AM
  #4  
aviatordave
Super Contributor
 
aviatordave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,233
Default

I never thought about that before. I just worry if I can smack him with the fly swatter. Then he does a few tumbles down to the ground.
aviatordave is offline  
Old 02-28-2009, 12:39 PM
  #5  
Pappy
Fly Low and Up Side down
 
Pappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morristown TN.
Posts: 64
Default

I like the swat then the crash anb burn like a fighter plane


Pappy
Pappy is offline  
Old 03-01-2009, 03:58 AM
  #6  
TLyttle
Super Contributor
 
TLyttle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Keremeos BC Canada
Posts: 1,025
Default

If the fly is big enough, catch it in a bottle, put the bottle in the fridge, and when it is cold, take it out. Add a dab of contact cement to its butt, another dab to nose of the paper airplane built while the fly was "chilling". Touch them together, wait for the fly to thaw, and watch the aerobatics...
TLyttle is offline  
Old 03-01-2009, 04:46 AM
  #7  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Default

bahaha.....hey i'm gonna try that.as soon as it warms up.there are no flys right now

Edit-oh geeze I need a life

Last edited by Rolling Thunder; 03-01-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 PM
  #8  
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,557
Default

Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
If the fly is big enough, catch it in a bottle, put the bottle in the fridge, and when it is cold, take it out. Add a dab of contact cement to its butt, another dab to nose of the paper airplane built while the fly was "chilling". Touch them together, wait for the fly to thaw, and watch the aerobatics...
Picture and building instructions for a 4 engine model...

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fly_airplane_instructions.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	95157   Click image for larger version

Name:	fly-powered-plane-instructions-model-airplane1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	95158  
Sir Raleigh is offline  
Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 AM
  #9  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Default

since we are on the subject of bugs.What would happen if you released a butterfly inside one of those 100 mph trains?
Would it fly nice & gently like on a summer breeze or would it go "splat"....like Grasshoppers avatar-
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:23 AM
  #10  
gramps2361
Community Moderator
 
gramps2361's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: oxford, MA
Posts: 7,074
Default

well i just found the solution for cheap flight i can afford all the planes i want know good thing their is a pig farm in town, i'll start selling flys on the side on ebay this is too funny i am going to try this sic
gramps2361 is offline  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:40 AM
  #11  
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,557
Default

If all the windows were closed it would just flit around like a..., well..., a butterfly.

A little off topic, but what would happen if you fired a gun that had a 100 mph muzzle velocity off the back of that same train?
  1. The bullet would leave the back of the train at 200 mph,
  2. The bullet would leave the back of the train at 100 mph,
  3. The bullet would leave the back of the train at 50 mph,
  4. The bullet would drop to the ground right below where it was fired,
  5. The bulled would leave the barrel of the gun and fall somewhere further along the path of the train.
Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:44 AM
  #12  
cardriverx
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 45
Default

Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
If all the windows were closed it would just flit around like a..., well..., a butterfly.

A little off topic, but what would happen if you fired a gun that had a 100 mph muzzle velocity off the back of that same train?
  1. The bullet would leave the back of the train at 200 mph,
  2. The bullet would leave the back of the train at 100 mph,
  3. The bullet would leave the back of the train at 50 mph,
  4. The bullet would drop to the ground right below where it was fired,
  5. The bulled would leave the barrel of the gun and fall somewhere further along the path of the train.
Bill
Would drop to the ground sucka. Comon thats too easy.
cardriverx is offline  
Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
  #13  
Rodneh
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 753
Default

Depends, which direction is the gun being pointed?
Rodneh is offline  
Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
  #14  
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,557
Default

I was hoping people would understand that the gun was pointed back in the direction from which the train had just come with the statement "off the back of that same train" without me having to state the obvious.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline  
Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 AM
  #15  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Default

Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
If all the windows were closed it would just flit around like a..., well..., a butterfly.

Bill

I dont get it Why wouldnt it go splat?I understand when you first release it it would have the same ground speed as the train but wouldnt the ground speed quickly dissipate once the butterfly is flying on its own?
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 AM
  #16  
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,557
Default

Once the train got up to speed and with the windows closed there's no air flow to disrupt its flight, so when released it would already be traveling at 100 mph ground speed, but at zero mph in relation to the train. The butterfly would feel the same thing you do on the train. The same thing would happen if the butterfly was released inside an airplane traveling at 600 mph.

Bees, spiders, ants, and other insects have already been released in the space shuttle which travels at approx. 25,00 mph with no harm.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline  
Old 03-03-2009, 02:37 AM
  #17  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Default

so ground speed never dissipates....intresting
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 AM
  #18  
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,557
Default

Not sure what you mean, but if you're on an object that's moving, with the exception of acceleration and deceleration you won't feel that you're moving.

An interesting thing... When automobiles first came out it was predicted that the human body could not withstand speeds greater than 20 mph.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline  
Old 03-03-2009, 03:01 AM
  #19  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Default

people on a train are moving at the same speed of the train (or space shuttle) because they are in actual contact with the vehicle.A butterfly in flight is not in contact so why would it continue the same groundspeed
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 03-03-2009, 03:19 AM
  #20  
cardriverx
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 45
Default

Speed doesent matter, its acceleration that affects you. Its not speed that kills, its the sudden deceleration of hitting an object that does.

As for the other stuff, imagine your in a bus doing 5 mph and your running 5mph toward the back of the bus. What is your speed over ground? nothing, because the vectors cancel out..
cardriverx is offline  
Old 03-03-2009, 03:48 AM
  #21  
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,557
Default

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
people on a train are moving at the same speed of the train (or space shuttle) because they are in actual contact with the vehicle.A butterfly in flight is not in contact so why would it continue the same groundspeed
Because the air in the train car is moving at the same speed as the train, so as far as the butterfly is concerned the air is still and he/she can fly around at will.

BTW, you do know that the earth rotates at 1000 mph? Why doesn't the air around the earth feel like it's moving at 1000 mph as the earth spins under it? And why doesn't it feel like we are moving at 1000 mph when we stand outside?

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline  
Old 03-03-2009, 04:40 AM
  #22  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Default

Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
Because the air in the train car is moving at the same speed as the train, so as far as the butterfly is concerned the air is still and he/she can fly around at will.

BTW, you do know that the earth rotates at 1000 mph? Why doesn't the air around the earth feel like it's moving at 1000 mph as the earth spins under it? And why doesn't it feel like we are moving at 1000 mph when we stand outside?

Bill
Thats what I was looking for,Thanks Bill
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 03-03-2009, 05:17 AM
  #23  
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,557
Default

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
Thats what I was looking for,Thanks Bill
No problem. It just took a little while to figure out what you wanted and how to explain it.

Now... If there was a truck with a cage loaded with 1000 pounds of pigeons sitting on perches and then they all flew up at once, would the truck weigh 1000 pounds less?

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline  
Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 AM
  #24  
foamnpacktape
Member
 
foamnpacktape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
No problem. It just took a little while to figure out what you wanted and how to explain it.

Now... If there was a truck with a cage loaded with 1000 pounds of pigeons sitting on perches and then they all flew up at once, would the truck weigh 1000 pounds less?

Bill
It would depend on how well sealed it was. A slatted cage yes it would weigh less, but a box it would weigh the same.

foam.
foamnpacktape is offline  
Old 03-04-2009, 05:36 PM
  #25  
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,557
Default

A box is what I had in mind, and yes, you are right. It would weigh the same.

Mythbusters did a show on that.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline  

Quick Reply: house fly


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12877 seconds with 11 queries