Combat Electric combat discussion in here.

who is up for combat and where?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Sethbriancollins

Default who is up for combat and where?

i would love to fly combat with a few other wattheads. I'm located in San Diego. anyone else here willing to fly full contact? I'll even build the planes.
i could even supply the running gear. just meet me at the park ready to fly. any takers?

i typically fly in OB or at a park near my house.
thanks!
SC
Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 AM
TheDustyPagan
Banned

I wish I didn't live on the other side of the U.S. ... i'd LOVE to do some combat with you! I have a GWS ME-109 that could use a good beating, lol.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:17 AM
Sethbriancollins

Default meeeee too

yeah i guess there are not too many guys willing to destroy planes, even with an "i'll make it, you break it" offer.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 AM
TheDustyPagan
Banned

That's half.. (if not MORE).. of the fun of combat!

Blow s**t up! lol

You can make your own planes out of depron sheets.. and other.. (less expensive foams).. and keep the cost down to a minimum. Heck... i've made 15 WWII fighters of several different models.. (with 34" to 38" wingspans).. just for dogfighting.. thanks to plenty of free plans over on www.rcgroups.com To make them all.. cost me about $25 in foam sheeting.. another $10 in CF rods.. and a some nice but inexpensive $15 brushless motor/ESC/prop combo's from united hobbies.. And 2 rolls of Blenderm hinge tape.. and some HXT500 5g servo's $3.50 (each)!!

I wish I could find a few guys over my way, that liked combat flying.. (with intent to destroy).. but it appears i'm the only one willing to completely obliterate a foamie on purpose.. and still have an ear to ear grin as the pieces are still falling to the ground, lol.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Sethbriancollins

i just use dowels and extreme packing tape with bidirectional fiberglass.
cf i save for nice planes....
we can't get blue fff here but i found the green stuff locally. probably pick up a bundle this week. up till now i make them out of insulfoam sheets.

i use the brushless motor/speed control combo from hobby city. and the blue servos too. can;t beat it. found micro receivers for 14.99 even if the whole plane goes missing total including 500mah lipo is $45 or so.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
TheDustyPagan
Banned

Oh wow huh... I never thought about using those sheets of insulation foam.. (Usually pink if I recall correctly right?)

Yeah, you have to think "cheap" when your building to destroy, lol. I suppose you could use those wooden skewers as well, in the place of CF rods. I believe they come in packs of 100 for only $1.

I'll have to take a look at those $15 dollars receivers. Do you have a link by any chance? Or is that from hobbycity as well?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Sethbriancollins

the foam is white Styrofoam with blue writing. it has a plastic sheeting on each side. i get the .5" sheets for around $6 at HD. i use strapping tape around all the cut seams. it holds up to crashing pretty well and then i can just spray paint the plane with regular old spray paint. . chrome paint looks especially cool on a p51.

i like the dowels because on some planes i can just tape them on to the LE of the wing and it rounds out the "airfoil." typically one piece runs the whole length of the wing. the skewers are a good idea too, especially for the smaller lighter planes.

the rx is 9g with shrink wrap 4g without. haven't recieved it yet form these guys . but $13 if hard to beat. $2 shipping too. http://www.bidproduct.com/part/Produ...RYSTAL_31.html

happy flying!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 PM
TheDustyPagan
Banned

Okay... you've convinced me to have an argument with my wife this weekend, lol.

How so, you ask? Because NOW, i'm going to home depot with my paycheck and buying a bunch of that insulation foam, lol.

THEN.. i'm ordering some of those receivers you linked for me.

After that... my wife will probably be running after me with a frying pan, lmao!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Sethbriancollins

Default while your at it..

...buy a hot cutter at lowes. i went in there looking for dow fff foam, and came home with one for $12
its basically a soldering gun with a flat tip.

it makes cutting out planes easy especially the rounded inside corners.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:49 AM
TheDustyPagan
Banned

Wow... very nice!! What sort of motor are you putting on that jet?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Sethbriancollins

Default believe it or not

i was initially flying it with a gws 350 and a 9x6 slo flite prop with a 650 nimh aaa pack. i just had it lying around and wasn't using the 3 batt packs for the setup.

the nose area was a bit too big causing a dutch roll. i ended up lawn darting the nose so i laminated some new sides on it making it a bit more "full fuse." hopefully that will fix the too much vertical area in front of the cg. if not i'll make it again with a bigger tail.

i also changed the motor mount while i was at it so now it will take a brushless. either an e flight 370, i got off ebay with a new tx i needed, or a TowerPro BM2409-12T.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
TheDustyPagan
Banned

You'll have to post some pictures of that when your finished! I can't wait to see how she comes out when she's 100%
Old 08-03-2008, 09:37 PM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

i'm in n.y.c. and need a few combat pilots to furball with!! anyone know of any events? combat clubs in or around n.y.c.???
Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
i'm in n.y.c. and need a few combat pilots to furball with!! anyone know of any events? combat clubs in or around n.y.c.???
This might help you to locate a club near you. Click on this link.
Buzzy
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

buzzy, i have flown r/c and belonged to a club in n.y.c. for almost 20 years. all the clubs in this area turn up their snooty noses whenever combat is mentioned. . . most guys cry "if anyone sees us doing this they will think we are unsafe and we will lose the field!!" i have tried to drum up interest but most r/cers from here don't want combat flown at their field!! thanks for the reply anyway . . . . .
Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 AM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
buzzy, i have flown r/c and belonged to a club in n.y.c. for almost 20 years. all the clubs in this area turn up their snooty noses whenever combat is mentioned. . . most guys cry "if anyone sees us doing this they will think we are unsafe and we will lose the field!!" i have tried to drum up interest but most r/cers from here don't want combat flown at their field!! thanks for the reply anyway . . . . .
Sorry to here about this in your area. Most of the them don't know what they are missing. I flew glow combat for several years and in a couple of Nat's then I gave up all the glow and gas stuff and now for the last 3 years have been fly electric. If you go to Yahoo groups then type in WW2 Ecombat you will find our group. Feel free to join it cost nothing.
Buzzy
Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

thanks buzzy. . . i cant believe there isn't a few guys in nyc who wanna fly combat. . . GO FIGGURE. . . .