ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Building A Slow Stick Boomer's Way.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
boomerace
Been there .... Done That

Originally Posted by Pickle72 View Post
Great thread! I really appreciate it when skilled builders share there tips , tricks and general knowledge.
I can't log on to your site though, it says it is not found
Sorry Pickle the site is gone. My provider disabled all my videos because they said it was over welming their servers even though I was no where near my contracted for bandwidth! These clowns will promise anything to get your money. This one was Startlogic but from what I found out they all lie about what they can provide! I've posted a bunch of videos on http://rcuvideos.com/ under Boomer however they aren't near the resolution that they were on my website.
boomer
Old 05-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Pickle72

I found your vids over at RCUniverse. Lots of nice shots. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 PM
boomerace

I found your vids over at RCUniverse. Lots of nice shots. Thanks for sharing.
I add several more each day. Will add the Light Slow Stick One next.
boomer
Old 05-11-2008, 11:43 PM
DickL

Thanks for posting this build thread Boomer. I am going to be starting my first build on an SS (parts on order) within the next few days and your knowledge and experience is sure to help.

Dick
Old 07-18-2008, 01:37 PM
rpavich

Boomer,
I wanted to thank you for posting this thread. You have some valuable insights on the SS build.

I've built one so far and have been looking for some information on how to "smarten up" the build, and so I do thank you.

I appreciate all the time you took with pictures and all...much appreciated.

I'm trying to keep AUW to a minimum on my new SS as it's going to have a Montgomery flat wing/ailerons/brushless set up and I'm looking for thrust/weight differential mainly.

thanks,
bob
Old 07-18-2008, 03:49 PM
boomerace

Originally Posted by rpavich View Post
Boomer,
I wanted to thank you for posting this thread. You have some valuable insights on the SS build.

I've built one so far and have been looking for some information on how to "smarten up" the build, and so I do thank you.

I appreciate all the time you took with pictures and all...much appreciated.

I'm trying to keep AUW to a minimum on my new SS as it's going to have a Montgomery flat wing/ailerons/brushless set up and I'm looking for thrust/weight differential mainly.

thanks,
bob
Bob glad I could help!
BTW the maiden video is at:
http://rcuvideos.com/item/GNM2BWS1TL...#theater_title
Enjoy.
Boomer
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 AM
diverdon

Hi Boomer ...

Thaks Soooo Moch for this thread ... I am going to start my ? 5th Slow stick build tomorrow .. I crash and burn a lot an have tried a few things to strenghten them but find that the extra weight is really bad for them too ....

Just 2 questions if you don't mind .. Please ... How do you know when you have the correct motor mount adjustment? think you said 2 degrees .. Just sorta eyeball it ??

The other one is about the vertical stab mount .. it is a little unclear to me ... I think you are using the wood attaching it to the fuselage on each side and mounting the vert stab in the middle of the 2 pieces attached to the fuselage with the other pieces as shims to center it up in the middle ??? Is that correct?? I didnt like the way Multiplex had it either ... Then you just attach the horiz stab to the bottom of the "Fuselage" as we call it ... is that right ??? I Hope ...

One thing I have thought of doin this time because of my great crashing abialty is I have found arrow shafts at wal-mart - 36 inches -carbon fibre -1 ounce- it seems to fit nicely inside the fuselage maybe with 1 O-ring to make it really tight ... Hoping that will give me a little extra insurance this time ... Thanks Again for your tips they REALLY help me ... And a bunch of others I bet too ...

If you could just clear up those 2 things for me I'd really appreciate it ... I think I understand but not for sure .... Already have the kit .. There's a place here in Florida that sells them for $18 .. Graves Rc
www.gravesrc.com I don't know if that is good but seems good to me ... It's for the "Slope Glider" version which is fine for me as I add my own motor anyhow

Sorry this is so long .. I'm bad about that .. Thanks Again ... Don J.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 AM
boomerace

Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
Hi Boomer ...

Thaks Soooo Moch for this thread ... I am going to start my ? 5th Slow stick build tomorrow .. I crash and burn a lot an have tried a few things to strenghten them but find that the extra weight is really bad for them too ....

Just 2 questions if you don't mind .. Please ... How do you know when you have the correct motor mount adjustment? think you said 2 degrees .. Just sorta eyeball it ??

The other one is about the vertical stab mount .. it is a little unclear to me ... I think you are using the wood attaching it to the fuselage on each side and mounting the vert stab in the middle of the 2 pieces attached to the fuselage with the other pieces as shims to center it up in the middle ??? Is that correct?? I didnt like the way Multiplex had it either ... Then you just attach the horiz stab to the bottom of the "Fuselage" as we call it ... is that right ??? I Hope ...

One thing I have thought of doin this time because of my great crashing abialty is I have found arrow shafts at wal-mart - 36 inches -carbon fibre -1 ounce- it seems to fit nicely inside the fuselage maybe with 1 O-ring to make it really tight ... Hoping that will give me a little extra insurance this time ... Thanks Again for your tips they REALLY help me ... And a bunch of others I bet too ...

If you could just clear up those 2 things for me I'd really appreciate it ... I think I understand but not for sure .... Already have the kit .. There's a place here in Florida that sells them for $18 .. Graves Rc
www.gravesrc.com I don't know if that is good but seems good to me ... It's for the "Slope Glider" version which is fine for me as I add my own motor anyhow

Sorry this is so long .. I'm bad about that .. Thanks Again ... Don J.
Thrust correction you want 3 to 4 degrees down and right depending on brushless power. I use a protractor with a movable arm but generally eyeballing it will get you close. 4 degrees is 3/8" offset in 6". Your understanding of the vertical slab construction is right as you stated. Keep us posted on your build.
boomer
Old 08-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Boomer is the MAN and I took his advise many years ago when I first started and never looked back. If theres a lifetime achievement award in RC Boomer is surely deserving of one.

Thanks for all your help on Wattflyer Boomer, It doesn't go unnoticed for sure.

Kosh
Old 08-12-2008, 08:26 AM
diverdon

Hi Boomer , I almost got it done Will Try to post a picture tomorrow ..... I REALLY like the way you do the tail ... This is the first time I have put the servos in the back really like that ...

The landing gear that comes with these are too weak for my flying .. I have also tried the ones you are using but For me they break too usually at the wheel end where the 2 C.F. Rods are "clamped" in ..

So I am using an aluminum one I had laying around pretty lightweight and I still used the top mount piece from the same landing gear you have to hold on the aluminum gear I'm using ...

Well Thanks so much again this puts a whole new slant on the slow stick for me ... Don J.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Fishjunky

Thank you for the detailed photos and descriptions. I'm looking at building another SS for some AP applications and will be using some of the modifications from here.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Fishjunky

I have a question on using a front wing mount in place of the rear to reduce the incidence. How does this affect your takeoffs? Is there something more I need to do?

I tried it and the SS didn't want to leave the ground. I finally did get it a few feet off the ground but dumb sticked it back to the ground breaking the motor mount/ gearbox.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 AM
boomerace

Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
I have a question on using a front wing mount in place of the rear to reduce the incidence. How does this affect your takeoffs? Is there something more I need to do?

I tried it and the SS didn't want to leave the ground. I finally did get it a few feet off the ground but dumb sticked it back to the ground breaking the motor mount/ gearbox.
You eliminated the wing incidence to the point the wing won't support the plane. The most you should reduce the incidence is when using the stock front mount and shorter rear mount block up the rear of the wing a max of 1/4"!
boomer
Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Pickle72

I walked into the LHS last week and they just put up a SS for sale that had a damaged box. For 14 bucks I walked out with a new bird! I already had the X-gear from another project and all other gear so I was off and running. I must say this thread was a great help and the SS is an awesome plane! My maiden happened on accident down my street in front of my house! I was doing taxi test to see how the X-gear and tail wheel worked together and I drove it down the street for a range check. Driving it back to me at a nice walking pace I pulled up to see what would happen and she lifted off! I spent the next half hour flying it up and down my street about 2-5 feet off the road
I finally got out to the park last night for its first real flight and had a blast. I started with a 11x8 GWS prop adn a 1250 mah 3S lipo with my BP A2212-13 brushless motor. Next flight I am going to try a 9x6 prop with the 3S and also with my much lighter 2S 1000 lipo. I think the 11x8 was too big, even though I kept it at less than 1/2 throttle the flight time was not as long as I had hoped for. One question my AUW with the 3S was just over 21oz. Is this about in line with weight for this plane or did I pork this one somewhere too. The only thing I can think of is I went crazy with the packing tape on the wings. Plus the x-gear and 3S battery too. The lipo is 3.9oz by itself!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
boomerace

I walked into the LHS last week and they just put up a SS for sale that had a damaged box. For 14 bucks I walked out with a new bird! I already had the X-gear from another project and all other gear so I was off and running. I must say this thread was a great help and the SS is an awesome plane! My maiden happened on accident down my street in front of my house! I was doing taxi test to see how the X-gear and tail wheel worked together and I drove it down the street for a range check. Driving it back to me at a nice walking pace I pulled up to see what would happen and she lifted off! I spent the next half hour flying it up and down my street about 2-5 feet off the road
I finally got out to the park last night for its first real flight and had a blast. I started with a 11x8 GWS prop adn a 1250 mah 3S lipo with my BP A2212-13 brushless motor. Next flight I am going to try a 9x6 prop with the 3S and also with my much lighter 2S 1000 lipo. I think the 11x8 was too big, even though I kept it at less than 1/2 throttle the flight time was not as long as I had hoped for. One question my AUW with the 3S was just over 21oz. Is this about in line with weight for this plane or did I pork this one somewhere too. The only thing I can think of is I went crazy with the packing tape on the wings. Plus the x-gear and 3S battery too. The lipo is 3.9oz by itself!
The props you are using are wrong for the SS. The draggy airframe likes a prop of 2:1 ratio IE: 9 X 4.7, 10 X 4.7, 11 X 5.5 , 12 X 6. Otherwise you are wasting a great deal of power with the higher pitch prop trying to drag the plane along faster than it's able to fly due to drag. The weight you quoted is not out of line for a Slow Stick. Just change out the prop and you will be a lot happier. You will have more thrust at less amps.
boomer
Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Pickle72

THanks for that info Boomer. I thought the prop was wrong but its what I had. When I went into the hobby shop in the first place it was to get an APC 10x4.7 but they where out so I got the SS instead
Do you think the GWS 9x6 will work better until I get in to get some new props or stick with the 11x8?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
boomerace

THanks for that info Boomer. I thought the prop was wrong but its what I had. When I went into the hobby shop in the first place it was to get an APC 10x4.7 but they where out so I got the SS instead
Do you think the GWS 9x6 will work better until I get in to get some new props or stick with the 11x8?
I don't know what your motor specs recommend but the the 11 X 8 is trying to push a bunch of air and might overheat the motor. I assume you don't have a power meter so you can check. However a good test is to fly for about 5 minutes and feel the motor. If it's too hot to keep your finger on the motor it's too much prop.
boomer
Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Pickle72

I flew the 2S and 3S lipo on a 9x6 prop tonight. The 2S flew it fine for about 10 minutes under constant 1/2 throttle or higher. The 3S really flew it though. I got way better times than last flight on the bigger prop. I am not sure how long I was up with 1/2 throttle most the time but I was starting to get tired of looking up, maybe half an hour. I still need to get into the LHS and get a 10x4.7. I think you are right Boomer and that prop will be the sweet spot. I might try a 9x4.7 or something similar too if I can find one.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:27 AM
Elfi Flyer
Elfi's, beauty in flight.

Originally Posted by boomerace View Post
You eliminated the wing incidence to the point the wing won't support the plane. The most you should reduce the incidence is when using the stock front mount and shorter rear mount block up the rear of the wing a max of 1/4"!
boomer
Major good point here. I had plans on using the same wing mount, either the rear or the front, when building my SS for an upcoming combat competition. I recently flew an SS built to this "same mount" configuration, but I don't recall if it was two of the front wing mounts, or two of the rear wing mounts. In any event, there was no problem with the plane on an ROG into some rather stiff winds. So, it begs the question, should I use two of the front wing mounts, or two of the rear wing mounts. The angle of incidence that Boomer has set up has real merit, and I may go just that way. Presently, just scratching my head.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 AM
boomerace

Originally Posted by Elfi Flyer View Post
Major good point here. I had plans on using the same wing mount, either the rear or the front, when building my SS for an upcoming combat competition. I recently flew an SS built to this "same mount" configuration, but I don't recall if it was two of the front wing mounts, or two of the rear wing mounts. In any event, there was no problem with the plane on an ROG into some rather stiff winds. So, it begs the question, should I use two of the front wing mounts, or two of the rear wing mounts. The angle of incidence that Boomer has set up has real merit, and I may go just that way. Presently, just scratching my head.
A SS with no wing incidence flys like a pig compared to my setup. Not really as stable nor has the lift it needs. All wings have a optimum incidence and with a lot of flying I find the 1/4" blocking up the rear of the stock rear wing mount is the sweet spot.
boomer
Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 AM
Elfi Flyer
Elfi's, beauty in flight.

Originally Posted by boomerace View Post
A SS with no wing incidence flys like a pig. Not really as stable as it needs to be. All wings have a optimum incidence and with a lot of flying I find the 1/4" blocking up the rear of the stock rear wing mount is the sweet spot.
boomer
My gut reaction is you are absolutely correct. I am assuming you are using the stock front (LE) wing mount and the stock (TE) wing mount, modified with the 1/4" block. I would also think this arrangement would help in doing fast inside loops or quicker vertical drives, the + incidence helping the angle of attack and making the rudder movement less radical.

What material (balsa, hardwood, CF) do you recommend for the 1/4" block?

Many thanks again for your contributions here. Outstanding, to say the least!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:59 AM
boomerace

Originally Posted by Elfi Flyer View Post
My gut reaction is you are absolutely correct. I am assuming you are using the stock front (LE) wing mount and the stock (TE) wing mount, modified with the 1/4" block. I would also think this arrangement would help in doing fast inside loops or quicker vertical drives, the + incidence helping the angle of attack and making the rudder movement less radical.

What material (balsa, hardwood, CF) do you recommend for the 1/4" block?

Many thanks again for your contributions here. Outstanding, to say the least!
I use 1/4" balsa CAed in place.
boomer
Old 09-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Pickle72

I just found out that if you throw a lipo off your airframe in the bottom of a loop the Slow Stick will in fact land itself! I was about 75 feet up going vertical with my 3S lipo, flipped over and pulled it out of one of those impossibly tight loops these things can do and I saw something plummeting to the ground! I immediately recognized it as my lipo. I watched as it hurled to the ground in slow motion, just missing the parking lot and bounces in the grass. Then I look up expecting to see my SS flopping around in the sky, but no it was doing nice easy ovals. It would slowly turn down wind for a while then turn up wind, climb a little, slow and slowly turn back down wind. This went on for 3 or four times then a perfect 3 point landing 50 feet from where I was standing. I mean I don't think it has ever landed that gracefully! Absolutely no damage. I stuck the lipo back on and flew it out. You got to love that

BTW the 10X4.7 prop is the ticket with my set up. THanks Boomer for pointing me in that direction.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 AM
boomerace

I just found out that if you throw a lipo off your airframe in the bottom of a loop the Slow Stick will in fact land itself! I was about 75 feet up going vertical with my 3S lipo, flipped over and pulled it out of one of those impossibly tight loops these things can do and I saw something plummeting to the ground! I immediately recognized it as my lipo. I watched as it hurled to the ground in slow motion, just missing the parking lot and bounces in the grass. Then I look up expecting to see my SS flopping around in the sky, but no it was doing nice easy ovals. It would slowly turn down wind for a while then turn up wind, climb a little, slow and slowly turn back down wind. This went on for 3 or four times then a perfect 3 point landing 50 feet from where I was standing. I mean I don't think it has ever landed that gracefully! Absolutely no damage. I stuck the lipo back on and flew it out. You got to love that

BTW the 10X4.7 prop is the ticket with my set up. THanks Boomer for pointing me in that direction.

boomer
Old 09-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Fishjunky

I finally received my new motor for the SS yesterday and I mounted it up this morning but the wind was blowing too hard to take it up. I removed the second front wing mount and epoxied on a 1/4" riser to the stock rear mount. I'll hopefully be able to fly it soon to see how it flies now.

Quick Reply: Building A Slow Stick Boomer's Way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13121 seconds with 14 queries