Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Should Start a thread on the Eflight DHC-2 Beaver..?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 AM
navy atc

Cool

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Probably not. I really don't have a good lake flying spot 'round here. We have the Chesapeake Bay but it's usually a bit too choppy.

I have never flown off floats either.:o
Not much harder at all. Talk about your scale takeoffs!
But if youve no fresh water, probably best. The salt water is murder on lipos. Dont ask..
Well now Im stuck on the motor issue again. I'll likely go w/that power 32 cause Ive had great results w/other eflite motors. But that phoenix??sheesh. Theres also, at 55 bucks, (opposed to 112.00)the Castle 54, would that work, or is it risky to try?
Can Anyone recomend a good place to get a 60a esc w/bec?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:07 AM
darylm44

This is one plane I really want, but I will have to wait awhile as my airplane $$ will be going to buy gas for the motor home this spring. We have a trip planed to see our granddaughter graduate from high school in May.

I have flown many hours in a Beaver while we lived in SE Alaska. Hardly any roads and most travel by boat or floatplane. Had a couple of close calls so my interest in flying in small planes has lessened, but I have good memories of this plane none the less.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
navy atc

Originally Posted by navy atc View Post
Not much harder at all. Talk about your scale takeoffs!
But if youve no fresh water, probably best. The salt water is murder on lipos. Dont ask..
Well now Im stuck on the motor issue again. I'll likely go w/that power 32 cause Ive had great results w/other eflite motors. But that phoenix??sheesh. Theres also, at 55 bucks, (opposed to 112.00)the Castle 54, would that work, or is it risky to try?
Can Anyone recomend a good place to get a 60a esc w/bec?
I just read where Castle was American owned and the majority of it is made here.(Olathe Ks.) Well now that changes everything. I'll be ponying up the extra money. I will not pass up on "made in America" for economic reasons. EVER!.
BTW the t-bird 54 wouldnt work. Its recommended at 3s.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:24 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

And... they make one of the best products out there too!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:42 PM
navy atc

Looks like some of our Northern friends are enjoying their Beavers today.
Horizon started shipping Thursday I believe?
Maybe Monday here in Atlanta.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:09 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Cool! Gotta get my Yak done before I can get one though.

I WILL have one though!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Jollyroger
Jollyroger

Great start. Navy ATC, thanks for the Beaver hyperlink. Never saw so many nice lookin' Beavers.
I built a Global kit and it was the worst kit ever. The only real kits available are the Unionville Hobbies kits and possibly Icon Northwest if you can contact him. The Unionville kit is very much a builder's kit even more so than a Sig Senior or 1/4 scale Cub.
I've been looking at a number of Beaver ARFs and believe the E-Flight to be one of the best buys of the year. I plan to order one from a nearby hobby Shop: Alpine Hobbies of Gaylord, Mi. Floats are a must.
I have an Axi 2826-10 which I believe should provide more than enough power for float conversion using a 4S Lipo. So I have a bit of savings there on the motor and ESC(Phoenix 60) now in my stock.
From what I can see, there is definately some possibility of adding extra scale details to this one. Needs some bumps on the cowl, add some vertical fins on the stab and maybe modify the float gear to look more scale. Add a couple navcom antennas. How about a small canoe to the top of the floats? Midwest makes a number of small canoe kits, which might be just the right size for this plane. Cool factor would go up too.
I would though opt for a 3 blade prop, which is generally used for the honkin' big radial up front!
No mistaking a Beaver when it flies overhead!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 AM
navy atc

Originally Posted by Jollyroger View Post
Great start. Navy ATC, thanks for the Beaver hyperlink. Never saw so many nice lookin' Beavers.
I built a Global kit and it was the worst kit ever. The only real kits available are the Unionville Hobbies kits and possibly Icon Northwest if you can contact him. The Unionville kit is very much a builder's kit even more so than a Sig Senior or 1/4 scale Cub.
I've been looking at a number of Beaver ARFs and believe the E-Flight to be one of the best buys of the year. I plan to order one from a nearby hobby Shop: Alpine Hobbies of Gaylord, Mi. Floats are a must.
I have an Axi 2826-10 which I believe should provide more than enough power for float conversion using a 4S Lipo. So I have a bit of savings there on the motor and ESC(Phoenix 60) now in my stock.
From what I can see, there is definately some possibility of adding extra scale details to this one. Needs some bumps on the cowl, add some vertical fins on the stab and maybe modify the float gear to look more scale. Add a couple navcom antennas. How about a small canoe to the top of the floats? Midwest makes a number of small canoe kits, which might be just the right size for this plane. Cool factor would go up too.
I would though opt for a 3 blade prop, which is generally used for the honkin' big radial up front!
No mistaking a Beaver when it flies overhead!
Those are really cool ideas jollyroger. I hadnt even thought about the canoe. Got mine in the water today, but winds too strong or Im a wuss for no t/o.In my defense they were 15kts, so I just ran her to just before take off.Gets up on step real fast. Flaps really do work well and when I get more proficient will likely lead to landing stunts.. For scale looks, this is a beauty. I made a bad still photo shot getting only the upper half of the plane on the water, and it was remarked later by others, that it looked absolutely real. So far Jollyroger, I'd highly recommend this plane. It sounds like you'd have a blast with it and would make it museum quality.
Get it , Get it, Get it!
True Maiden in the am. I'll post a flight log.
My setup is Pwr32, cc 60, 10 amp cc bec. 14.8 4s 15c 3200 13x6.5e
Old 03-23-2008, 03:38 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Can't wait to hear how she flies! I'm sure it will be a great report!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:44 AM
navy atc

Thanks Bill. I'm either going to be reaal happy or reaaal sad.
But, no guts, no nuts! umm glory, no glory
Old 03-23-2008, 03:47 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

think postitive thoughts...

and remember to breathe!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 AM
nascarwings

Dusted off the old cub yesterday and had my first float fly, can,t wait for the beaver..smile [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE7fvrZpEE8[/media]
Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 AM
gasser1933

Originally Posted by nascarwings View Post
Dusted off the old cub yesterday and had my first float fly, can,t wait for the beaver..smile [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE7fvrZpEE8[/media]
Great video! What camera did you use?
Looks like a place I'd like to visit some day.
Thanks for sharing!!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
nascarwings

the cam was a fuji finepix z . i have tryed alot of cams and found this little cam to work the best.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
darylm44

How did you get water on the lake

Here is Alaska we have at least 3 more weeks of ice

I hope to get a beaver with floats this summer Nice vidio.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:07 PM
nascarwings

the lake opened up early this year...first time i can remember this early...
Old 04-02-2008, 03:11 AM
navy atc

Success on the floats. Am in process of getting its videos up here.
You're gonna love this plane guys.Videos are the pits, as it was shot by imbeciles.Yes, my friends.
But, despite their best efforts, there are noteworthy.(read, ooooh..awwwwww) moments!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:21 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Very nice! That lake is smooth as glass!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:02 PM
WAK
Air Head

Default Got the Beaver

I do believe my DH2 is about ready for the maiden. Some minor issues with this bird (setup as recommended with the Power 32) - the battery compartment is too small for most batteries. Even with the recommended TP 4C, I had to do a little sanding to get it in. Very tight space makes connecting the battery to the esc difficult. Maximum height in there is just under 1" and the THP3300 is .98"
Be sure to check clearance above your servos and reciever if using the cockpit kit, I had to make a cut our for the receiver in the "floor" for the aft cockpit.
Also, you would need to add a spacer on the shaft if not using the included spinner. Other than that, it's typical e-flite.. I also have the Pawnee, and love their products.
I do not have the floats yet, I know it's a must!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:45 PM
WAK
Air Head

Now all we have to do is find a battery to power this bird....mine is on order to....any thoughts guys on a battery?....looks like we are going to have to break the bank to fly this bird...
See my comments about "battery" in page one of this thread...
Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 AM
NALORAC

I'm trying to put togather my first plane. The Eflite Beaver and I can't seem to get the cowling on when I mount the speed control where the instructions tell me to on the front of the box under the engine. Did I do something wrong or do I need to mount the speed control somewhere else?
Thanks for any help,

Michael
Old 05-02-2008, 04:23 AM
navy atc

Originally Posted by NALORAC View Post
I'm trying to put togather my first plane. The Eflite Beaver and I can't seem to get the cowling on when I mount the speed control where the instructions tell me to on the front of the box under the engine. Did I do something wrong or do I need to mount the speed control somewhere else?
Thanks for any help,

Michael
Michael,
By Eflites own admission that is in error. Most everyone is mounting behind the firewall. Im not long in the hobby, but could not figure out why you would put the most expensive piece of equipment in a place most likely to impact or drown first. I have mine under the cockpit floor. So, move it back!!! The cowl will fit nicely. Make sure you have the correct sized "ball driver" and lots of patience. Good luck.
Heres a pic of my Beaver at night
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nsc.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	64291   Click image for larger version

Name:	nsa.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	64292  
Old 05-02-2008, 04:58 AM
NALORAC

Thanks I will try it. maybe you can tell me where you mounted the on/off switch to the speed control as I can't seems to find that in the instructions either.
Those are awsome pics of yours. I hope mine turns out half that nice.
Thanks again,

Michael
Old 05-02-2008, 01:23 PM
navy atc

Thanks I will try it. maybe you can tell me where you mounted the on/off switch to the speed control as I can't seems to find that in the instructions either.
Thanks again,

Michael
I dont use a switch so I cannot say. If youre gonna use floats, that will be difficult to keep dry, as there isnt an inch of the plane that doesnt get wet from spray. Speaking of spray, Im not saying to use it, but I waterproof w/corrosionx. Heres a crappy inflight pic to keep you inspired. For more , go to rcuniverse and look in my gallery under...navy atc of course.Good Luck Man!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Upwind.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	64339  
Old 05-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Jollyroger
Jollyroger

Thanks again,

Michael
I do not know why mfg's still insist on an on-off switch for their ESC's. They do not offer anything to the safety of operation. A better way is to install a power shunt between the battery pack and the ESC. I have several from Maxx Prod and plan to install one in the Beaver. These little switches are a waste of time and you still have to mount them securely, so why not use a switch that will actually work?
I have a Hyperion ESC with one of those little slide switches and am going to remove it and solder the wires together.
BTW I also attempted to mount the ESC below the motor and the cowl wouldn't fit either, so it sets behind the firewall. I glued a small piece of lite ply in place and velcroed the speed control .
Oh yeah a Polyquest 4S just barely fits had to force it in and now can't get it out. A little work ahead of me now, but will have that problem corrected. E-Flight needs to do something about this. You guys at Horizon reading this?
Otherwise am ready tosetup the aileron and flaps with my Hitec Eclipse radio.....looks like fun times ahead.
cheers

Quick Reply: Should Start a thread on the Eflight DHC-2 Beaver..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13057 seconds with 14 queries