Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

F-16 by kyosho

Old 08-29-2007, 04:48 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Default F-16 by kyosho

This is a plane you should avoid

Last edited by DetroitHawk; 11-17-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Prof100

DH,

That thing sure is a rocket. At $220 that's a great deal. Keep us posted and video your maiden.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:50 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

will do, i must admit i am excited for this flight, i am using 1200mah lipo that is 3.9oz so i might be a little on the heavy side but i should have enough power to make flight times reasonable. I will indeed record my maiden like i have with my other warbirds.

BTW i am on the east side of town @ 94+696.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Prof100

Did you take a look at this one. It's $190 RTF and all you have to do is drop in the receiver. Foamfly.com sells them. He used to have flight video but I couldn't find it.
Complete RTF (Receiver Ready) plane with Ducted Fan, Brushless Motor pre-installed. Includes Lithium Battery, and Charger.

From the website...
Servos and radio gear are completely installed, only minor assembly is required. Drop in your own receiver, and using your own transmitter, you'll be ready in no time.

Specifications:
Length:................35.1 in
Wing Span:...........36.9 in
Wing Area:...........279 sqin
Wing Loading:.......9.4 oz/sqft
Flying Weight:.......20.5 oz

Last edited by Prof100; 08-30-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

that looks like an A4 interesting. However i am going to have to budget my spending to this plane for now. There are alot of EDFs out there however this one IMO had some of the best looks, it too comes with the motor ESC and 2 servos however not a battery, but lets face it i mainly bought it due to the looks.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Prof100

The Kyosho is a great looking plane. It's easy to want one.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

My battered and beaten Kyosho F16 still shangs in my shop. It was(and still could be) a great flying bird. It got even better with the weight reduction of LiPos. Enjoy.
Walt
Old 08-30-2007, 04:39 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by Walt Thyng View Post
My battered and beaten Kyosho F16 still shangs in my shop. It was(and still could be) a great flying bird. It got even better with the weight reduction of LiPos. Enjoy.
Walt
batteryed and beaten? how long have you had this plane?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:10 AM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Seven or eight years. I got it when I still lived in New Hampshire and I've been out here almsot six years.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:05 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by Walt Thyng View Post
Seven or eight years. I got it when I still lived in New Hampshire and I've been out here almsot six years.

so you are NOT talking about the same plane? (it hasn't even been out a year let alone 7years)

well what size lipos do you use and how much do they weigh?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:31 AM
Walt Thyng
Walt

I paralleled a set of old TP Gray stripe (or was it yellow) 2100 2S packs. never bothered to weigh them.

I haven't seen the new F-16, but if it's as much fun as the original it'll be a great plane.
WT
Old 09-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Tim Johnson
Split S

Nice day of flight!!! Shake and bake!

I put two flights on the F-16 today. This Kyosho F-16 Fighting Falcon was a blast to fly. Plenty of power. I radar speed tested the airplane at 61mph in level flight, and 80mph just after a diving fly by. It flies with authority, doing loops and rolls without an issues. Slow flight was very smooth and predictable. If you bleed off speed on your approach, you can land this thing flying pretty slow.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

I was out this weekend on lake st.clair fishing and there was a party of F-16s doing manovers overhead and all i could think is "when is my kyosho F-16 going to show up" lol I can't wait to get this plane in the air.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Ok well i am in the process of building this plane and i have run into several problems:

The spinner that finishes off the EDF according to the instructions takes a 2.6x8mm screw, but i couldn't get that one to thread very far before something seemed wrong. So i take the prop adaptor to a speciality bolt shop who were kind enough to inform me that it takes a 2.5 thread and not the 2.6. When i called kyosho i was told there was a "bur" and that if you just screw it hard enough it will fit. I did infor him that it was indeed the incorrect size screw that was the problem and not a bur at all.

After i put the fan together i did a test run before i epoxy the bottom on, locking the fan in place; when i noticed it was rubbing and the prop adaptor didn't allow for a spacing between the motor housing and the fan. so i threaded a much longer screw into the adaptor and THEN tightened the fan anchoring bolt which kept the spacing proper.

I will admit the instructions are very detailed and have been very helpful outside of these few problems, i just hope the rest of the build goes smoothly.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:45 AM
RandolphNav

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
This really should be in the warbird section, there is a post in the EDF but lets face it, this is a military plane. (and a kickass looking one at that) I just bought it yesterday and can't wait for it to show up at my door, i will have more pics after that happens.

here is a video of it in flight
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QTcD6ZggSv4

For $229 with the plane, motor, ESC, EDF, and two servos it didn't seem like too bad of a deal, but it sure is a looker!
Where did you buy this kit from?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Tim Johnson
Split S

detroithawk you need to space the prop adaptor away from the fan housing more.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:34 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by Tim Johnson View Post
detroithawk you need to space the prop adaptor away from the fan housing more.

Yeah i got that, but what do you use as a spacer? The prop adaptor locks in place with the conpression washer that is thightened into place with the main nut. PROBLEM when you tighten that nut it pushes the prop adaptor tight to the housing. I was able to make due because i went out of my way to get the 2.5 screws.

Any hoo here she is:

I can't wait to get this bird in the air. What a great looking plane.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:35 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by RandolphNav View Post
Where did you buy this kit from?

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/
Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Tim Johnson
Split S

what i mean is, the instructions ask you to slide everything together onto the motor shaft. You want to get your finger behind the fan to keep some space between the fan housing, and the fan. You don't need to add a spacer.

If you put a 2.5 mm screew into a 2.6 mm hole you will strip out the threads. 2.5 will thread into 2.6 without any issues other than when you torque the screw down, you will strip the threads, or the screw can come loose easily.

Good luck on your first flight
Old 09-06-2007, 03:41 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

what i mean is, the instructions ask you to slide everything together onto the motor shaft. You want to get your finger behind the fan to keep some space between the fan housing, and the fan. You don't need to add a spacer.

If you put a 2.5 mm screew into a 2.6 mm hole you will strip out the threads. 2.5 will thread into 2.6 without any issues other than when you torque the screw down, you will strip the threads, or the screw can come loose easily.

Good luck on your first flight
Problem, it isn't a 2.6 thread it is actually a 2.5! It comes with a 2.6 threaded screw that DOESN'T fit. I took the prop adaptor to a speciality bolt shop (where all they deal with is bolts in a 80,000 square foot building) and they knew it was a 2.5 and indeed not a 2.6.

The guy at kyosho (i believe he said his name was effen) even tried to thread one from a kit, on the phone, and claimed it also had a "bur" and all you had to do was screw it in harder. There is no bur, the problem is the threading isn't 2.6, and what HE was doing was stripping the prop adaptor. But lets face it, when you put a steel screw into an aluminum threaded hole and they are that close, you actually end up rethreading it.

I like to do things with a little more precision then "get your fingers behind the fan" lol the method i used worked perfectly and let me about a 1/16th of a space and it functions just perfectly now.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Prof100

Detroit Hawk --

Nice looking plane. Weather is still a bit windy here in southeastern Michigan. The weather channel ssay 10 mph out of the SW. I was just out and it seems a bit more gusty. Hope things calm down so the maiden goes well.

By the way, nice looking floor. Hardwood or laminate? FYI, I am on the other side of city closer to Ann Arbor. I am west of I-275 and M14.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:40 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Detroit Hawk --

Nice looking plane. Weather is still a bit windy here in southeastern Michigan. The weather channel ssay 10 mph out of the SW. I was just out and it seems a bit more gusty. Hope things calm down so the maiden goes well.

By the way, nice looking floor. Hardwood or laminate? FYI, I am on the other side of city closer to Ann Arbor. I am west of I-275 and M14.
i'm near the I94 and 696 area so not too far of a trek, and thanks about the floor it's oak.

The wind has calmed down quite a bit, hopefully today will be perfect for my maiden. I love the rush of a new plane when you don't know what to expect. I'll report back soon as i get the maiden out of the way.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Tim Johnson
Split S

Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Detroit Hawk --

Don't be scared of the wind. , execpt for the first flight. The F-16 will handle the wind without a problem.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:16 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Don't be scared of the wind. , execpt for the first flight. The F-16 will handle the wind without a problem.

http://media.putfile.com/f-16-maiden

This plane does handle the wind nicely, it was fun to fly, however the roll rate of this plane is slow. I am going to look into my controller and see if i can set it to travel farther, but other then that the plane flew very nice.

The two little missle racks on the outside edge of the wing didn't even make it past one landing in the grass.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Prof100

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
http://media.putfile.com/f-16-maiden

This plane does handle the wind nicely, it was fun to fly, however the roll rate of this plane is slow. I am going to look into my controller and see if i can set it to travel farther, but other then that the plane flew very nice.

The two little missle racks on the outside edge of the wing didn't even make it past one landing in the grass.
Congratulations on thr successful maiden. Video doesn't do it justice. I could see a dot on the screen at times which I assumed was the plane.

Quick Reply: F-16 by kyosho

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12700 seconds with 10 queries