Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

SSOS (a Slow Stick build thread)

Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Justin,

Is this is the motor your looking at?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-skatty.htm

I dont think it will work on a modified SS. It would work well on a stock SS. After the mods, the SS weighs roughly 26 oz...give or take an ounce. That motor is recommended for planes up to 16 oz.

Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 01:18 AM
SAVS

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
Denny,

Seems as time goes on, they reduced the video quality of the Optios. I have the s5z and it is alot better in movie mode than the s6. It looks like the s7 copied the s6 (DIVX) for maximum compression. If your interested in movies more than anything, I would suggest buying a Nikon 3700 which in my opinion puts out the clearest & sharpest movies (MOV format). They can be had on ebay for around $100 and are about 5 oz in weight.

I tried some video in the 'best' mode w/ S6 and am still unsatisfied.....but I am still going to experiment with the picture mode on the S6 as that may still be good or great.

Dave
Yea' I noticed some of that but my REAL driving force is hi-res printable stills and then videos. I was just messing around with the video because of what we were talking about before. I have (had) the S6 on one side and the 2.4 video on the other so I was going to check out the difference. Well maybe next time (I got 2 day shipping)...Denny
Old 03-14-2007, 03:13 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of my shock-absorbing landing gear.

The gear's made from 1/4 CF square tubing. Glued to the top is a piece of birch, with a small contour that allows the gear to "rock back" on landing, then spring forward again. The entire setup is held to the fuse by the stick underneath the gear and held with rubber bands (very tightly).
It works quite well; I used it for the first time today on a grass field. Instead of nosing over after every flight, I can now keep my prop clean! Takeoffs are no problem either.
Flyer
Old 03-14-2007, 03:34 AM
JustinD123

what motor is that flyer?
Justin
Old 03-14-2007, 04:22 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

It's a Waypoint 2215-22. Tons of power.

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=2668

Flyer
Old 03-14-2007, 04:25 AM
JustinD123

how much thrust does that put out and will an 18 amp esc be fine? whats your prop set up and what motor mount do you have for your SS. I have a 400 xt on order but i guess ill be using it to replace my eps 350. Thoughts comments help? please!!... flyer
Justin
Old 03-14-2007, 05:09 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

An 18 amp should be fine. I'm guessing at the thrust, but it's probably around 35-40 ounces with a 11 x 4.7 APC prop. It can carry the SS with camera attached vertically (not unlimited, though). Bottom line, though, is that the SS will NOT come down even at minumum throttle - it'll just fly around at about ten feet above the grass (without camera).
It'll fit any standard GWS motor mount just fine. I'm using an aluminum mount (available at allerc as well).
They're VERY nice motors for their price - I'm likely to order a couple more.
Flyer
Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 AM
JustinD123

sounds like thats what im getting then... i ordered a 400 xt so now what do i do with that? damnit!!!!!! other forums told me that they were the **** on a moded SS.... so thats y i got one. Id return it but shipping pretty much cost as much as the damn motor.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

Originally Posted by JustinD123 View Post
sounds like thats what im getting then... i ordered a 400 xt so now what do i do with that? damnit!!!!!! other forums told me that they were the **** on a moded SS.... so thats y i got one. Id return it but shipping pretty much cost as much as the damn motor.
Keep it! It's a good motor. It's as Aviatordave pointed out, that's with a standard-weight SS, NOT one that's going to be hauling around a heavy camera. Most of the "modded" SSs aren't that heavy, they're just - well, modded.
Flyer
Old 03-14-2007, 05:26 AM
JustinD123

i dont have anywhere to use it b/c i use a 350 eps on my stock SS so if i put that on there now i have unused motors escs and batterys. Damn hobby is way to expensive. Even on the cheap planes. This means i have two SS and 5 motors and 3 escs now! and two batterys one 7.4 and one 11.1 v a 300 brush a 350 brush a 400 xt a waypoint and a power 10 what am i gonna do with all these motors?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

That brings to mind something I was thinking about earlier.

If YOU buy a GWS SlowStick for 32 bucks but end up paying over $250 for it before it even flies - you MIGHT be an AP nut!

Flyer
Old 03-14-2007, 06:56 AM
tallflyer
Robert V

Lets see

GWS Kit $32.00
Brushless motor & ESC prop & lipo battery $100.00
rec $29.00
servos $20.00
Hitec Computer Radio $249.00
CVS Camcorder $39.00
Apteck Camera $29.99
fuji Digital camera$100.00

All the great pictures and memories Priceless!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Flyer1

that is one of the most interesting LG's I've seen Flyer. Looks like it is quite functional as well. You'll have to hone the macro function on the camera so we can see it close up.

I think if you add some support tubes to the wings LE & TE that will solve the delayed turning w/ rudder.

keep us posted, get some aerial pics!

Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 07:42 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Justin,

Sorry that you already ordered the motor. Its not actually a waste....

one thing I learned while doing AP is that you still need to hone your flying skills. Flying AP is mostly boring, doing gentle turns, nice gentle climbouts and landings. There is the 5% of the time where your heart comes out of your chest when power lines show up, or the wind start blowing...etc I'd suggest getting a 3D trainer to practice on with that motor. It will help your emergency flying skills, trust me! I fly foamie 3D's in my off time...

Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

that is one of the most interesting LG's I've seen Flyer. Looks like it is quite functional as well. You'll have to hone the macro function on the camera so we can see it close up.

I think if you add some support tubes to the wings LE & TE that will solve the delayed turning w/ rudder.

keep us posted, get some aerial pics!

Dave
Yep, that's not a good pic - will try getting a better one.
I reinforced the wings, LE and TE, with carbon-fiber rods. They just don't show up well since they're the same diameter of the original fiberglass rods. They fit right into the aluminum braces but are a WHOLE lot stiffer. Then, the wingtips are fiberglassed as well.
You'cn make out the black rods in this pic of you look hard:

I'll try getting someone to run the camcorder again and show this bird's behavior to everyone - it's definitely unique.
I'm probably not done with the landing gear, yet - the way it's constructed, both legs are free to move up and down. They're held in position by a wire "lock" rod. For some reason, every time I look at 'em I have a strange desire to make them, um, retractable!
Flyer
Old 03-14-2007, 04:31 PM
SAVS

Back
On
Topic (...lol )

I used 2 pieces of scrap plywood to make the control horns since the supplied control horns are of low quality and I have read of others not liking them.

You can read the notes on the pics -

Dave
Dave, you don't happen to have a PDF for the control horns like you did for the stabs do ya? I know this request seems kind of lame but the stock horns are too small to get a good template from. I finished up the stab mods lastnight and will be mounting them on the rod soon. You know I am going stock, do you think the SS will carry my "now" new S7?

Everyone, if not what will I need to upgrade as you know I am a newbie. I did get a couple of new batteries for my helio that should work on the SS (Thunder Power Pro Lite 2100mAh 11.1V 3 Cell Li Poly 3s2100).

I am guessing the list will be:

Motor
ESC
Prop
Motor Mount

Did I miss anything? If I could get a detailed list on the items that would make my day (and ease in ordering)...Denny

I got the S7 and WOW the 7M 3072x2304 setting is almost too much for my shaky hands. Here is a full size sample I took (almost 80 degrees today but a bit overcast)

http://www.nextnethosting.net/DF/S7%...e/IMGP0194.JPG

Last edited by SAVS; 03-14-2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Added pic from S7
Old 03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
JustinD123

That battery is badass. Thats what i use for my brushless motors. If you go to dymond rc or something like that you can get the same batteries of a diff brand for about half the price. ill pick up a few in a couple of weeks!
Justin
Old 03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
SAVS

That battery is badass. Thats what i use for my brushless motors. If you go to dymond rc or something like that you can get the same batteries of a diff brand for about half the price. ill pick up a few in a couple of weeks!
Justin
I plan on using them for my DF/SAVS so I got the TP's at DFI which is where I get my DF/SAVS parts from. That way if my bird fries I can go back to them . When/if I need more I will shop around, thanks for the heads up though...Denny
Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 PM
JustinD123

im new two and i dont recognize any of the short hand terms you used!! what does all that mean? And what does a BEC do while im on parts topics.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:10 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Denny,

I can draw one up 1:1 tonight. Shouldnt take that long. Do you want an outrunner? The nippy line of motors at HL are pretty good. I'll look tonight for that to. I have heard of guys using the stock brushed motor, but it seems they always change to a brushless. I was at an indoor flying event a couple weeks ago and a older guy had a SS with a 370. Maybe it was just him flying.....but it seemed kind of wimpy to me.

Justin - DF is DragonFly, thats where Denny bought that rotor from in his avitar. TP is Thunder Power, and BEC is Battery Eliminator Circuit (I think) - that is a device that allows your servos to connect directly to your battery instead of the ESC - Electronic Speed Control. Sometimes the ESC can be over-burdened by the current draw of the servos, so the BEC helps the ESC and provides protection.

Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 09:34 PM
JustinD123

thank you.... that really does help out alot... getting a **** load of parts in for my own SSOS later this week early next week. I will update you all on the build
Justin
Old 03-15-2007, 12:43 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Control Horn Drawing

Here is the 1:1 drawing of the control horn. I made it just a little bigger which should be better. You can use either 1/32" lite ply or 1/16" lite ply.

Control Horn Drawing

< I didnt note it on the drawing, but you need only 1 base for the horn >

Click on the link and a PDF drawing should appear.

Dave

Last edited by aviatordave; 03-09-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 AM
herk_1
Trash Hauler emeritus

Dave, how did you attach the wheels to the carbon-fiber landing gear? Is there an axle kit or something? I need to get a more stable gear for my Wing Dragon 4, the flimsy gear on it just has a mind of its own. I just did my first AP video with the plane (link here), and right at the end after an otherwise nice approach and landing, as soon as the plane touches down it jerks to the right 90 degrees and runs off the pavement.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
SAVS

Here is the 1:1 drawing of the control horn. I made it just a little bigger which should be better. You can use either 1/32" lite ply or 1/16" lite ply.

Control Horn Drawing

< I didnt note it on the drawing, but you need only 1 base for the horn >

Click on the link and a PDF drawing should appear.

Dave
Dave, you are the man! I printed the pdf out but I may use a different product as I am not good with wood. I think I have some good plastic or will try to find a CF sheet.

I put together the tail sections last night but I am not to pleased with how my tape and rod hinge came out. The tape just does not hold the two pieces in line with each other. I used the fiberglass rods that came in the box since I had them left over from the wings. I think the diameter is too small maybe. I also noticed that when you bolt on the stick it is in the center so if the rod is on top (like in the manual) the tail piece (I promise I will start to remember the real names soon) would be off center. I placed the rod on the bottom and notched the tail for the nuts so I could center it. I guess as long as everything is centered and I get the COG right all should be well.

I don't know if I want an Out-Runner or not basically because I don't know the difference yet. I will by the end of the day though.

I now have all the pieces and should have it ready for someone else to fly (that is until I can fly it myself). Anyone looking to sell their G3.5 software and tx?

What did you think of the S7 shot? Nice and big for printing (when I get the camera more that 6' off the ground :-)

Last edited by SAVS; 03-15-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:47 PM
SAVS

Originally Posted by herk_1 View Post
Dave, how did you attach the wheels to the carbon-fiber landing gear? Is there an axle kit or something? I need to get a more stable gear for my Wing Dragon 4, the flimsy gear on it just has a mind of its own. I just did my first AP video with the plane (link here), and right at the end after an otherwise nice approach and landing, as soon as the plane touches down it jerks to the right 90 degrees and runs off the pavement.
I know you asked Dave but the CF ones are on back order so I got on of these:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2255

Nicely made, light, and a pretty red color . I have not figured out the mounting yet but it will be easy with all the surface they have. I know your next question? How much do they weight? I don't have a scale, but not much...Denny

Quick Reply: SSOS (a Slow Stick build thread)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15079 seconds with 11 queries