Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Next step

Old 06-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Default Next step

I have been flying my champ on the light wind days and feeling ready to learn to fly w/ ailerons. I did purchase a PZ ultra corsair...took it to the nearby grassy meadow, hand launched and the plane nose dived immediately and snapped the wing. now it was a cold day an I suspect the lipo did not provide enough power. I do have a hawk sky but I am just a little intimidated by the size. Now I am afraid to re try the corsair until I get a little more experience with ailerons. I am considering a purchase of the PZ t28 ultra as reading the threads it seems this is a stable plane to learn the additional channel. So question is...what would you do? Is the t28 a good next step?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:46 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

The Micro T-28? Yeah if your sticking with the micro stuff it would be a good step as long as you are flying in calm conditions.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

I do like the micros...but the calm days are usually rare up here in the mornings (sunrise seems to be the best times). I did pick up an 800 mm warbird (great price) but just not ready to tackle that one without more practice. I feel that the micros will not be quite as damaged for crashes at the beginning of the learning curve.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:48 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

As far as Micros go then the T-28 will be a good step. You really do need to step up to a larger size trainer type park flyer (that sounds weird...) and get used to flying bigger stuff. The micros are nice but they will always be alittle twitchy, even in calm conditions.

Bigger flies better. period
Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Aaeolien

I highly recommend the UM T-28. I got it as a gift a few weeks back as my first plane and I love the thing. Flies so smooth at high speed and even at low speed. Very stable in the air provided its not windy. I flew it the other day in 10mph winds and its doable but scary as it does bounce around a lot. Find some nice calm air to fly in with it and you will have a blast. My father even picked it up and learned aileron flying again very quickly after being out of the hobby for 20 years.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Thanks for the info Aaeolien...look forward to getting that pubby in the air when I receive it. Ps I see you are from Rochester NY. I grew up in Syracuse!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Aaeolien

Sweet. Yep lived in Rochester most of my life except for a few year stint in RI and Boston.

Grrr wind kicking up outside again. Wanted to fly some more today. LOL At least the wind will make the 90+ temps a bit more bearable.

Definetly enjoy your T-28. It won't let you down.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Well the T-28 arrived and I took it to the field nearby (took the wheels off) and I must say she is zippy! Took about 6 attempts to start to get the hang of her flight characteristics. She is very responsive with the stock Tx compared to the Champ. She also tended to hang left at hand launch and down...had to be quick on yhe stick to avoid a crash ( hence 6 attempts). What Tx are you using? And did you find you had to adjust the digital trims? Waiting on a dx6i on backorder and hopefully that will make a difference!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I use my DX5e and it works marvelously. You'll like the DX6i even more! Yeah, the Corsair, unfortunately, turned out to be no T-28. The big one flies well, the little one is really twitchy and is of mostly historical value, not a great fun-flying airplane. It's TOUGH to design a good flying micro plane. It's even tougher if you're building a scale design. But the T-28 is magic in both sizes. Enjoy!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Aaeolien

I have it bound to a DX6i. Used some birthday money to get it. After flying it for a couple days with the stock transmitter I said I'm going to keep with this so bought the nice one. I had to adjust the trims slightly when i first took it out of the box. And they are adjusted a bit more now that I've beat it up quite a bit. LOL

One thing you can try to make it less twitchy is on the stock tx click and hold in the right stick for a couple of seconds and let it go it'll beep and then the center LED will flash instead of stay on solid. This puts the tx into the dual rate mode where there isn't as much response to the control surfaces. Makes it a bit smoother. I did that for my first couple of flights till i got the hang of it and then just flew it on 100% rates because its so much fun to just sling it around the sky.