Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Kyosho / Parkzone 4ch Cherokee

Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 PM
wecky

Same with me,did'nt send it though.Don't want a new one.No more Kyosho for me.Going to put it aside,watch for mods or upgrade parts.This plane cannot fly outside.Also learned not to pre order or purchase untried or new stuff that is expensive and unproven.Underpowered,ungainley piece of crap.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:46 AM
termite
Super Contributor

Hey wecky,
Wanna sell that peice of crap?
If the airframe is in decent shape we may be able to come to terms!

Let me know here or PM
Thanks
Randy
Old 04-16-2009, 12:57 AM
wecky

Its all in good shape,I had to open the fuselage to reset the motor on its mount.I have been able to get it to fly,but it's a challenge.I'm not interested in selling just the plane,the radio goes with it,box everything.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:13 AM
fotowiz

Termite - maybe this plane is a good candiate for the BSD motor swap? My Cherokee is supposed to be delivered to Kyosho tomorrow for their "warranty inspection". I have a feeling I will be sent a new one. If that is what they do, I think I will have Bob send me another motor / prop set for this plane too.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:54 PM
termite
Super Contributor

Just replied to weckys PM and that is my plan!

AR6400 receiver with PZs new 1.5 gram servos and It will fly like a real airplane should

Another cool mod for any of the under camber winged planes it to put a couple depron ribs under the wing and cover it with the light grade of durobatics adds minor amount of weight but gives a nice full airfoil and you can put whatever amont of washout in the wingtips and also take out a bunch of the dihedral and I bet she'll roll like theres no tomorrrow

That's the plane anyway!
Randy
Old 04-18-2009, 04:46 PM
fotowiz

Well.... this outstanding customer service story continues. UPS tracking shows plane delivered to Kyosho Thursady at 11:14 am, so I call them Thursday at 5:00 pm. Customer service does not know anything about this, so I explain entire saga to yet another person. He says don't worry "it's probably here in the building somewhere, I will find it and call you right back". No call back as of Saturday at 10:44 am, so I sure hope they find it?? I own my own business, and I know if I treated my customers this way, I would be bankrupt. I guess there is not much to do but wait and see if they can even find it, let alone correct this whole situation.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:17 AM
HEMICUDA

Any word yet on your cherokee?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:41 PM
fotowiz

Yes - they finally made a decision and sent me a new plane, even though I told them I wanted my money back. I guess you chalk this up to ex[erience - BAD experience. Never another Kyosho anything for me. I have not even had the new plane out of the box yet - no indoor place to fly, and it sure won't fly outdoors. Might hack it up and install the more powerful motor from BSD, I actually have the motor and gearbox on my workbench, so I might do that this weekend. Way too windy to fly in Ohio today!!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:21 PM
fotowiz

OK - you got me thinking about this plane today. 30 mph+ winds today and no chance of flying, so I spent some time and changed the motor and gearbox over to the BSD blue motor, and added a 3030 GWS prop. If I put on much longer prop it will hit the ground with the plane on it's landing gear. I may cut down a 4045 prop for ground clearance, but even with the 3030 prop this motor / gearbox combo seems to have lots more thrust. We will find out when the "Santa Ana Winds" that are visiting Ohio go back out west.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:03 PM
fotowiz

OK - tried it out last night with the BSD motor / gearbox upgrade and 3030 prop. Still lacking any grunt, it did fly this time. Changed the prop to a 4045, and it made a world of difference. Plane will actually climb now instead of only sinking. Seemed really twitchy and hard to trim. Working now on slowing down the ailerons with the single rate crap radio that comes with it. I sure wish this was compatible with my DX6i. The Aileron servo had the control rods in the farthest outside hole, so I moved them to the inner most hole and will try again. Slowed down all the control surfaces hoping it will smooth things out. This plane really makes you appreciate the ParkZone micro planes!!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM
termite
Super Contributor

I got the Cherokee and first thing I did was rip the guts out!
Waiting for the PZ AR6400 and servos and I'll set it up with those goodies and may even put a Gasparin motor in that has been in the package looking for a home but kinda goofy putting a $100 motor in a peice of foam

But I am kinda goofy so maybe that's what I'll do

Waiting for PZ to release the new goodies
Randy
Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 PM
fotowiz

You are on the right track - I just REALLY regret ever buying this turd. Replaced once, it still will not fly correctly. Servos are junk, and aileron servo crapped out again in about 2 minutes. Tired of working on it for an hour to try and fly it for 2 minutes. I think I will call them again in the morning and ask them if they have a local attornay or will be sending in someone from corporate to defend the small calims lawsuit??
Old 05-23-2009, 09:59 PM
termite
Super Contributor

That should get their attention anyway!!!!

Wish you the BEST
Randy
Old 06-03-2009, 04:17 AM
Capt.RJM

I am one of the new guys, first post. Just getting back into R/C after a 25 years gap in the hobby. First picked up an Ember after watching some folks in the local park. This thing is a riot but with no wind you spend a lot of evenings watching the leaves on the trees blow like heck. Buddy of mine picked up a Super Cub and I tried out the Mini Cub for a first time try. This was a small improvement over the ember and I was having a ball.
Anyway my local hobby shop got in some 4 channel Cherokee's and had them listed for $144. After looking at one for awhile he also advise what an under powered piece of work these were. I ask him if he was going to ship them back and was told nope, marking them down, new in the box for $80 out the door.
So for $80 buck I have had this for about two weeks and once it's dialed in it flys like a champ. Doing touch and go's and having a blast. It's not a rocket out of the box, but it fly's. The spring loaded throttle is a bear to get used to, but I am only using that stick for throttle control and have never used the Rudder to take off or land. Once in the air I cut back to little more than half throttle and cruise around, not fancy but it's up there.
The only repair has been to reset the motor back in the cradle as it jumped out after a nose into the ground early on, little super glue and has only happened once.
Not and expert, just an old guy with some hobby money and very happy with mine. I have over 25 battery runs through it with no problems. Sorry to hear folks are having bad luck with thier purchases.

Have a Safe Summer Flying.... Capt.RJM
Old 06-03-2009, 04:43 AM
cjg

Originally Posted by Capt.RJM View Post
I am one of the new guys, first post. Just getting back into R/C after a 25 years gap in the hobby. First picked up an Ember after watching some folks in the local park. This thing is a riot but with no wind you spend a lot of evenings watching the leaves on the trees blow like heck. Buddy of mine picked up a Super Cub and I tried out the Mini Cub for a first time try. This was a small improvement over the ember and I was having a ball.
Anyway my local hobby shop got in some 4 channel Cherokee's and had them listed for $144. After looking at one for awhile he also advise what an under powered piece of work these were. I ask him if he was going to ship them back and was told nope, marking them down, new in the box for $80 out the door.
So for $80 buck I have had this for about two weeks and once it's dialed in it flys like a champ. Doing touch and go's and having a blast. It's not a rocket out of the box, but it fly's. The spring loaded throttle is a bear to get used to, but I am only using that stick for throttle control and have never used the Rudder to take off or land. Once in the air I cut back to little more than half throttle and cruise around, not fancy but it's up there.
The only repair has been to reset the motor back in the cradle as it jumped out after a nose into the ground early on, little super glue and has only happened once.
Not and expert, just an old guy with some hobby money and very happy with mine. I have over 25 battery runs through it with no problems. Sorry to hear folks are having bad luck with thier purchases.

Have a Safe Summer Flying.... Capt.RJM
Will the Cherokee fly inverted? Do aileron rolls?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Good job Capt.RJM. Isn't this a great hobby or not. Sounds like you picked up where you left off 25 years ago and now you don't even have to clean up the plane after you finish flying.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Capt.RJM

Yep, have not had to use the garbage bag one time since I got back into flying. Brought a lot of parts home in the plastic trash bag back then. I still carry one in the kit as I know my time will come again.

Trying to fly inverted and doing barrel rolls is way out of my league. I'm a float around, do some figure eights and practice some touch and go's and take the thing home kinda guy. An have a ball being out of the house and office. I still get a kick out of the new equipment and the drop in price of this stuff over the last two decades. I paided $600 for my first 4 channel Futaba back in the seventies.

Not looking to smoke someones cookies and start a flame war, just wanted to say hello and let people know this unit will fly.

Have fun....Capt.RJM
Old 06-29-2009, 07:37 AM
HEMICUDA

Well I'm sure it's a good purchase for $80 RTF but most won't find it for that price. I know I can't. Good job on making it fly CaptRJM

Hemicuda
Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 PM
fotowiz

OK - I finally got the Parkzone Sukhoi electronics in this plane, along with my BSD Micro motor, gearbox, prop upgrade. So I head out to the field in dead calm air, not knowing what to expect since this plane has been a total disappointment. Had to design my own aileron bellcrank, and modify the rudder and elevator control rods for the PZ electronics, but all worked well on the bench. I hand launched this always twitchy bird into calm air, and WOW, this thing actually flies now! Running it on my DX6i, it is a dream to fly! Tracks perfectly, plenty of power with the BSD system, good flight times with a 110 or 130 mah battery. Plenty of climb rate, lands prefectly on the mains and settle to the nose gear.

I can't believe this is the same plane, although I do have about $300.00 in it now. This is the best flying micro I have flown, and I have 12 of them. Easier and more forgiving than the new Sukhoi, I think my wife could even fly this one now. The biggest problem I discovered with the original Kyosho servos, was that they would go past center at full stick and could not release to turn back because it crossed the control rods. The crap original radio would not allow you to turn down the rates to fix this.

Anyway, it was either throw away about $200.00 already invested, or pop another $100.00 into it and try to salvage something. Plane flies great, even tackled 5 mph winds with no problem. Looking forward to flying it again this morning.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:50 AM
sinker49

RC 101 Problem Solving 10-4?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 PM
fotowiz

Yeah, be sure to watch for my upcoming new book: "How to build a micro plane for only $300.00 plus!" I guess it was the challenge, and I actually have about $350.00 in the plane and all the add-ons to actually make it fly. THANKS AGAIN KYOSHO!!!!