Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Big 3D Katana Profile Plane Scratch Build Contest Entry# 2

Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

how are they all your comments? Anywho, very nice job! I want one of these now! really I do
Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
how are they all your comments? Anywho, very nice job! I want one of these now! really I do
this thread was in a contest, and was shortened for contest reasons
Old 02-06-2009, 06:21 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

oh. cool foamy!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:30 PM
fjr1310

Nice looking foamie . Just getting into foamies , looks like cheap fun! Can I ask were you ended up with the CG. Think I'm going to try one .
Thank you very much for your plans !!!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default CG 25% Back from the Leading Edge

Originally Posted by fjr1310 View Post
Nice looking foamie . Just getting into foamies , looks like cheap fun! Can I ask were you ended up with the CG. Think I'm going to try one .
Thank you very much for your plans !!!
Hi This plane is a lot of fun, Get some Square CF tube at RC Foam for the wing, it works better than 2 round tubes, you will just need one SQ 8MM tube, here is a link to get it at, Also the CG is 25% back from the leading edge, and you can move the CG back more for 3D flying, but start with 25% to get a feel for the plane, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...ategory_id=122

Last edited by CHELLIE; 06-09-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:02 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Hey chellie, I have foamy where the motor ripped off of its mount, and the plane before that looped on full and dove on no throttle. It turns left and right and wont hover no matter anyway I put it.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:11 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
Hey chellie, I have foamy where the motor ripped off of its mount, and the plane before that looped on full and dove on no throttle. It turns left and right and wont hover no matter anyway I put it.
Hi Ben What Plane are you talking about if a foamy is built right and strong and straight, they fly Great, no matter what foamie it is, I never had a foamy act like the way you are Describing, Take care, Chellie
Old 03-07-2009, 09:13 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

it is the charger in my build thread, the little white plain one. I have also had this turning and diving issue with my slowstick.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Ghostmaker1970

Default copycat request

Hi Chellie Please let me start by saying I am impressed by everything I have seen of your work so far. I love this Katana build and I would like your permission to copy @ 50% ?. The reason for halving it is I have already got four models in 2 months of flying Or should I say looking out the window at trees bending wishing I was !. I have a little 1500kv motor and matched esc spare and a Spektrum ar6100e that should be ideal for it. Also have 5 sheets of 3mm depron for the project I am planing on double skinning some of the build I belive this will ad some ridgidity to it.

P.s I am new on here this is my first post and its to you I have also only had about ten flight sessions with ailerons but I have flown my ef16 which I see you have also. Mine did maiden last week and has been up about 5 times flying very steady damn its fast. Will be posting in that thread too.
So hi and good job hun I hope you continue on here as I am sure you will be missed if you dont. x
Old 07-10-2009, 04:31 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Ghostmaker1970 View Post
Hi Chellie Please let me start by saying I am impressed by everything I have seen of your work so far. I love this Katana build and I would like your permission to copy @ 50% ?. The reason for halving it is I have already got four models in 2 months of flying Or should I say looking out the window at trees bending wishing I was !. I have a little 1500kv motor and matched esc spare and a Spektrum ar6100e that should be ideal for it. Also have 5 sheets of 3mm depron for the project I am planing on double skinning some of the build I belive this will ad some ridgidity to it.

P.s I am new on here this is my first post and its to you I have also only had about ten flight sessions with ailerons but I have flown my ef16 which I see you have also. Mine did maiden last week and has been up about 5 times flying very steady damn its fast. Will be posting in that thread too.
So hi and good job hun I hope you continue on here as I am sure you will be missed if you dont. x
Hi Ghostmaker copy it at 100% thats why i left plans for it on post #18, so anybody can copy it and have fun flying it Thank you for the complements Heads up Rc has a nice motor that works very well on it, I just bought one, and put it on, its their 480 motor, with a 11x5 APC prop, 40 amp esc and a 2350 mah 25C lipo, i like the hextronic 9 gram servos, they work great, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1530/Power-Up-480-Plus/Detail

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=662&Product_Name=HXT900_ 9g_/_1.6kg_/_.12sec_Micro_Servo

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9261&Product_Name=Rhino_ 2350mAh_3S1P_30C_Lipoly_Pack

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2165&Product_Name=TURNIG Y_Plush_40amp_Speed_Controller

Last edited by CHELLIE; 07-10-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Ghostmaker1970

Default re;Katana build

Thanks chellie just finding the foam over here not easy
Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks chellie just finding the foam over here not easy
where are you located at Ghostmaker
Old 07-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Ghostmaker1970

Default Location

Hi Chellie I am in hertfordshire UK
Old 07-11-2009, 02:04 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Chellie I am in hertfordshire UK
Hi Ghostmaker i could not find any 9mm depron across the pond for you, but what i do when i need 9mm depron, is to epoxy 2- 6mm Depron sheets together, it comes out to 9mm, dont ask me why i cant tell the 9mm from the 2-6mm depron glued together, use some rubbing alcohol to clean the depron, before glueing, because it has a release agent on the foam to allow it to come loose from the mold, sand lightly, use a thin coat of 30 min epoxy, lay on a flat table, glass is best, and weigh it down with a flat boaed, glass etc, allow to dry over nite, now you have 9mm depron, it works great, and is not that much heavier than the non glued together 9mm depron, here are some stores in your area for 6mm depron, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.depronfoam.co.uk/html/buy_depron.html

http://depronjet.vstore.ca/print_catalog.php

http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/sale.html#building

http://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?srch=depron
Old 07-21-2009, 07:32 PM
rckowal

Hi Chellie,

Nice build & good looking plane.

Some of your pictures of the profile Katana show a landing gear but I have not seen much about it. Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of how/where the gear is mounted & perhaps a plan for the bent wire?

Best regards, Richard
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

It looks like they are the Dubro gear for flat foamies.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPJY0&P=7
Old 07-22-2009, 01:36 AM
rckowal

Originally Posted by TDisaster View Post
It looks like they are the Dubro gear for flat foamies.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPJY0&P=7
Mike, Although this gear may work, it isn't made of wire like the one in the posted photos & her You Tube flying video.

Richard
Old 07-22-2009, 02:15 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Ohh, I see now. I took one quick look and just assumed.

It looks like bent aluminum.

Sorry about that. Forgot my contacts today.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:36 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Ohh, I see now. I took one quick look and just assumed.

It looks like bent aluminum.

Sorry about that. Forgot my contacts today.
Hi Mike Yes your right, its just bent aluminum, I had a bi plane that my new Airtronics radio took out, no more Airtronic radios for me and i used the aluminum braces on the top wing, i just bent them to fit, I also glued a section of thin plywood on both sides of the foam, from top to bottom, and inserted a plastic collar in the hole on the foam, so the foam does not get crushed, i also added a piece of wood, behind the landing gear, so it cant move backwards, its like a stop of sorts, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 07-22-2009, 04:53 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Whoa, what Airtronics was it?

I've been using Airtronics 2.4 since it first came out and never even had a glitch.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Whoa, what Airtronics was it?

I've been using Airtronics 2.4 since it first came out and never even had a glitch.
It was a 72Mhz 6 chanel comp radio, I bough it for insurance, so my new plane would not suffer radio problems yea right, the plane was in the air, for about 1 min, then i had no control of the plane, the batteries were fully charged, Was I mad, i spent about 1 month building a Great Planes Ultimate 40 size Bi Plane, from a kit, it was perfect too, the landing gear on the katana, is made from the center wing aluminum braces well, at least part of the Bi Plane still flies

Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Ahh ok. Not sure on their 72mhz stuff. Sorry to hear about that.

Their 2.4 stuff is rock soild though. Search for problems with it, and you won't find any . I google "Airtronics 2.4 Problems" once a week. Nothing yet!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
rckowal

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Mike Yes your right, its just bent aluminum, I had a bi plane that my new Airtronics radio took out, no more Airtronic radios for me and i used the aluminum braces on the top wing, i just bent them to fit, I also glued a section of thin plywood on both sides of the foam, from top to bottom, and inserted a plastic collar in the hole on the foam, so the foam does not get crushed, i also added a piece of wood, behind the landing gear, so it cant move backwards, its like a stop of sorts, hope that helps, Chellie
Now it appears that I may need new glasses since it sure looked like bent wire to me. However, after looking a bit closer at the "flying" video, I can now see it is aluminum.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:16 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rckowal View Post
Now it appears that I may need new glasses since it sure looked like bent wire to me. However, after looking a bit closer at the "flying" video, I can now see it is aluminum.
Here is a little better pic that shows the landing gear, the rear just has a wire skid, Take care and have fun, Chellie