Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Kyosho Ciero 2m EP Glider

Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Mikebert4
Harbringer of crash

Default Kyosho Ciero 2m EP Glider

Does anyone else fly/own this plane?

I was on the lookout for a nice T/R/E glider for about a month when I spotted this beauty on one of the higher shelves at a local (Spanish) shop. I couldn't resist - I had the radio gear ready and waiting for just this kind of stumble. I bought the bird there and then.

Build was nice and easy - single peice fiberglass body + fin, kit came complete with all control linkages, horns, motor and folding prop. The wing was pre-fabricated in three sections and the tail was ready to attach (bar hinging the elevator on it.

Total build time (to flyable) was about 6 hours work, plus some extra time for the epoxy to cure (I'm reluctant to trust it in less than 24 hours). I only spotted two things about the construction that caused me to make minor modifications.

The opening at the rear of the tail is too small for the elevator pushrod setup to move freely through it (it's a carbon fiber boom with a steel pushrod lashed and glued to it). This looked solvable if you attach the steel pushrod with only about 1cm of overlap with the carbon fiber for lashing - though I wasn't happy and instead filed out the hole a little to help the whole assembly move freely.

The batteries I'm using (currently 7cell 1000mah NiMh) get rather hot with the current drain from the motor/prop combo. To combat this I cut a couple of NACA-style vents in the canopy to aid airflow.

Anyway, this is my first glider of this size and so I took few chances. I found a nice soft area of long grass+small shrubs to test glide the Ciero and found that the CofG was happiest at about 30% of the wing chord at the root (only about 25% of MAC).

Once I was happy with this, I set up the radio on 100% throws and no fancy mixing or Expo and tried my test glide with elevator control. This model glides forever.

After setting this up to my satisfaction I had to wait for the wind to drop before taking the glider up to more height and testing out the rudder control. That hapened about a week ago, and after a brief flight to discover that it's very slow and gentle (and tuning in a little expo to save it from my slightly nervous thumbs) I was happy to give it it's first real flight.

For this I enlisted a more experienced flying friend of mine who'd have more of a chance of saving it should somthing go wrong - and who was more likely to keep it airworthy after the first few landings. If we learnt anything that day, we learnt that the Ciero does not like the ground. It'll float forever and a day. I've not played with gliders before but floating at 1-2ft for almost 100m is insane. (seriously, any tips on shortening the landing run would be very, very well recieved).

After we were happy that it could indeed fly and land well enough I took the plunge and took it for a real flight. Amazing. I've never felt anything quite like it, following the air around and working with little pockets of lift off a tree or a small patch of concrete to keep it in the air. It was as slow, gentle and magisterial as I'd hoped. I can tell I'll be floating around the sky for years to come.

Then I crashed it. I got disorientated with it sitting at about 2 o'clock and up-sun of me and after realising my mistake was a little to eager to pull it out of the spiral dive - tip stalled it and marveled at a 2-meter tall cartwheel.

Damage:
  • Slight dent to left outboard wing section
  • Both outer-inner wing joining spars broken
  • slight cracking round the engine mount
  • a rather bruised ego
After I'd stopped shaking I was keen to get it airborne again, so I used dowel and wood-glue to repair the two wing-joiners as best I could and decided to also glue 3 small peices of light balsa at each of the wing joins for a little added strength (though I didn't want to overdo it and eliminate the weakpoint altogether - it'd saved the plane that time). Some stop-drilling of cracks and general patching with epoxy and it was all but ready to go again.

Today the wind dropped one again and I managed to get a full battery's flying out of it as the sun was setting. I'm hooked on these wonderful beasts, I really am.

Why post all this? Well, firstly I wanted to properly vent the enjoyment this bird has given me, and the sheer magisty of it floating around on the air currents. Also, I post because I've seen and read very little about this particular glider and I'm fishing for others who've flown it or very similar and might have tips or advice for me.

Thanks for reading

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02981.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	97157   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02982.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	97158   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02983.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	97159   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02984.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	97160  

Last edited by Mikebert4; 04-21-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Lancer31

Default Kyosho Ciero

Thanks for posting that very nice write-up, Mike. Something distracted me from assembling mine, several months ago, and your post, (plus the fact that my wife just ordered a motor-glider for herself, so we could do a little relaxed thermal-hunting), has got me eager to finish up, & fly, that beauty!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Mikebert4
Harbringer of crash

That's great news Lancer!

I'm actually about 1/2 way through converting my Ciero to 5ch - a process which may or may not be documented for all to see at some point.

I love it as a 3ch bird, it's slow and sedate and incredibly quick to snap up lift. It loves being light though - so micro servos all round and if possible cut down on the servo tray they provide in the kit - it's bigger than I needed by quite a way. I went brushless in my Ciero and the difference was staggering - by saving perhaps 150-200g and in the process moving the CofG about 1/4" - I swear I could have lit a cigarette and soared on the heat off that.

let me know what you think of it - I'm still new to the R/C world and my infatuation may be misplaced :p

M
Old 04-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Mikebert4
Harbringer of crash

Well, I've completed my brushless conversion of this plane -

It's now packing a SONIX 3500Kv outrunner and a Turnigy 30A ESC - still with the stock prop. Powering it all is a 1800mAh 3s 20C lipo. The increase in power is staggering and it's lighter to boot!

I'm not flying it until I've completed the spoileron conversion - though I've got flaps on it and working. All I need to complete the bird now is two micro servos to arrive in the post - she'll be flying by the weekend

Photos of all the current work below:

Name:	DSC03017.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	99339   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03021.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	99340   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03066.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	99341   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03067.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	99342  
Old 04-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Fell
Recent Addict

Looks stunning! Seems to be v little on the web about these. I guess this is the kind of thing I'm working towards; PZ Radian any week now

Edit: In fact this thread seems to be the only web reference!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Fell
Recent Addict

Ahh now I see why -- looking at the tail graphic, should it maybe be Ciero?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Lancer31

Default Ciero

I put a 2802-20 outrunner, from Hobby City, in mine, with a Turnigy Plush 30 Amp controller. I already have the micro-servo, ready to mount in the fin, with its long extension cable. I'm just doing 3 channels with this one, to keep it light & simple.

Last edited by Lancer31; 04-29-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Mikebert4
Harbringer of crash

Originally Posted by Fell View Post
Ahh now I see why -- looking at the tail graphic, should it maybe be Ciero?
Yup - damn my clumsy fingers :p
Old 04-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Lancer31

Default Progress report.

Got all the stickers applied, equipment installed & rigged. Waiting for the radio to arrive.
I had to add nearly 8 ounces of ballast to the nose, owing to the removal of the huge brushed motor that came with the glider, but even at that, the ready to fly weight is right at 2 pounds, which is still 1/2 pound lighter than the stock glider.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Lancer31

New 6 channel, 40 dollar, 2.4 gHz TX & RX arrived right after I posted the above, and it looks great. A few finishing touches & we'll be ready for first test flight.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Mikebert4
Harbringer of crash

That's awesome Lancer, keep me updated

I'm still a-fiddling with the ailerons I've added to my Ciero - they're still in the 'plank of wood shoved on back of wing' stage.

I'm in at 120g heavier than the stock glider - mostly from the larger battery. CofG has been an issue - It's currently sitting at about 35% chord and I'm aiming for around 27-30%. That said, it shouldn't take much to cram it forward the 15mm or so that it needs - I'll let you know when I have final weights for mine (stock was about 1.2kg with 8-cell NiMh batteries)

It flys like a dream though
Old 05-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Lancer31

Default Another Ciero is ready to fly.

All done. Ready to fly.

Name:	Kyosho Ciero.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	100366  
Old 05-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Mikebert4
Harbringer of crash

Happy days! I've not been able to fly mine the last few days due to wind. It's always dead-calm in the morning, but but by the time I'm actually able to find an hour to go flying the wind always picks up and ruins it

Let me know what you think of the Ciero, Lancer