I hope the "man made" drone VS SouthEastern commercia jet does not get too much attn. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

I hope the "man made" drone VS SouthEastern commercia jet does not get too much attn.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:59 PM
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

Default I hope the "man made" drone VS SouthEastern commercia jet does not get too much attn.

What an Ass!!!! not sure what he is trying to accomplish

http://www.break.com/video/this-dron...essive-2868321
Old 06-29-2015, 12:59 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Thats a hoax. Google it
Old 06-29-2015, 01:01 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

This one was real

http://abc7news.com/travel/southwest...irport/784955/
Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Porcia83

Originally Posted by gadgeter View Post
What an Ass!!!! not sure what he is trying to accomplish

(link redacted)
Pretty sure he was hoping it would get attention, and then replayed, like was done here.

Thankfully it was "outed" early on and the media didn't hype it
Old 06-29-2015, 06:53 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

These sightings by airline pilots are happening more and more often, an average of twice a day across the country.
Say goodbye to model aviation.... The morons are going to get it banned.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:04 PM
fishycomics

knowbeforeyou fly.org

4500 feet they saw a 5 ft drone. with a beacon on top. that was 2000 ft altitude.

So what if I were to fly and not take photo or video would it still be called recreational?

So if I go to my park and mind my own business I be quite alright enjoying my hobby, but if some one walks up to me because I minded my business I am totally all in the wrong? Time to put a sign up here first stand clear 25 ft from me and craft. I am are you!

glad I read the rules and glad I obey the best I can as an individual.

What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?

• Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).
For more safety information, please download the Know Before You Fly brochure here.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:44 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Actually it can be recreational even if you are taking photos...
You just can't sell or attempt to profit from the photos.

Not everyone with a camera is a professional photographer.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Romans5.8

Well, most "drones" and model aircraft wouldn't do much more than scuff the aluminum of a commercial airliner. These things pop birds all the time, and provided there aren't too many at one time, they'll be okay. About 9,000 birds a year are killed by aircraft. And that's with measures such as deterrents and even kill permits issued to large airports to control the population.

It doesn't mean people flying in and around commercial aircraft aren't absolutely ludacris.

I think people aren't taking the hobby as seriously as they were in years past. And are no longer really concerned about safety and where they fly. Look at this forum. Fewer and fewer and fewer flying at clubs, members of AMA. Some just buzzing around their neighborhoods. Now I'm not saying that's wrong; I'm just saying it's very different than what it was not that long ago.

Of course, much of the 'drone' problem are these RTF and commercial camera quadcopters, used by professionals and amateurs alike. Or professionals of other industries. My wife is a real estate agent / property manager and her company owns a small foam "Parrot AR" quadcopter with camera for taking area photographs of land and property for sale. Controlled with a tablet or smartphone. Entirely automatic, requires no flying skills. That little thing isn't going to do any damage and they aren't flying it off the runway of a commercial airport but still; that IS a real market, a market of folks flying these small automatic drones for other purposes who aren't a part of the hobby at all.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:07 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

https://www.google.com/search?q=bird...w=1280&bih=635

Birds and by extrapolation, drones could TAKE DOWN airliners.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:07 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

after watching the video,there were a bunch of choices of other drone videos to watch. the one called "greatest drone fail's" showed dozens of dji type quads hitting buildings in cities,dropping out of the sky with people running away,poor piloting skills and hitting people they were videoing like motor cross bikers,skateboarders,people swimming in water as the quads went splash in the water,ect..ect.

sadly,everyone and their friends can afford to buy a dji or knockoff quad and fly into things like landmark buildings. down right scary. just a matter of time till we all get hammered for these idiots and theyer really bad choices of where to fly. worse is they post the stupid videos as if its entertainment for the world to enjoy.

oh well, i am going out side right now to fly my newly built quad 250 over my neighbor swimming pool and take some videos. should be fun.[JK]
Old 06-29-2015, 10:35 PM
fishycomics

If the internet was not born we would not be so free to have all these problems.

as in no filming or photo . it is still a hobby recreational sport wow!