Found a NIB SIG Jenny - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Found a NIB SIG Jenny

Old 11-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Beemerider

Default Found a NIB SIG Jenny

Found the above in a hobby shop on a day shopping trip Salem, Va yesterday. My wife does her thing and I go looking for hobby and hardware stores. Not sure how old this thing is. Everything still in the plastic bags. I'm guessing 4+ years. Has a 180 size brushed motor and gearbox. You guys have any recommendations on changes I should make (if any) to this thing while building? (it's an arf-foam fuse and wings etc)
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 PM
road king 97
old hat

Go with a brushless motor and sell the brushed one and esc as fast as you can. joe
Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

For such an awesome huge model , stick it together and use it as is, though if the manual suggests anything like nicad/nimh batteries, move on up to a more modern ESC and a LiPo battery - would be surprised if an ittybitty 2S LiPo around 200 - 400mA was far off. Be much easier fitting that motor where its intended than researching, diddling with and cussing at ways to fit an entirely different shape and style of motor into a pretty small nose end.

Not like you have a screaming desire for enough power to hover or fly doo-floppy-woo maneuvres with a Jenny. I hope...

Castle Creations still do high quality ESCs that will deal with brushed motors and LiPos and their instruction manuals are written in real American English, not some form of 'Chinglish' you can't make head nor tail of.

Fun little model. If you have access to a decent size of indoor venue for the winter, you could even fly it inside.

D
Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 PM
road king 97
old hat

You might have to monkey with mounting a brushless motor without the gearbox but you wll save yourself some agravation down the road. They make brushless motors with gear boxes but to me its just another thing to go wrong so i dont use them anymore. joe