Habu 32 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Habu 32

Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM
zakarian
Zak

Default Habu 32

Hello

First excuse my English because I am French.
While practicing the model aircraft for many years, I am a novice for EDF.
I have mounted the Habu 32 E-Flite fiber version, with the recommended equipment except the controller who is a J. Perkins model "En-ErG Pro B-115 Opto" 115 A continuous.

Problem: I put the engine full throttle, the aircraft on ground in static mode, and after a 1,3 minutes, the motor blocked and controller calcined.

The engine teardown, overheating is clearly visible and the coil at the black wire is fused, after the welding.

Thank you in advance for your help, I like to know the real cause of the problem before ordering a new motor and controller.

Regards
Zak
Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by zakarian View Post

Hello

First excuse my English because I am French.
While practicing the model aircraft for many years, I am a novice for EDF.
I have mounted the Habu 32 E-Flite fiber version, with the recommended equipment except the controller who is a J. Perkins model "En-ErG Pro B-115 Opto" 115 A continuous.

Problem: I put the engine full throttle, the aircraft on ground in static mode, and after a 1,3 minutes, the motor blocked and controller calcined.

The engine teardown, overheating is clearly visible and the coil at the black wire is fused, after the welding.

Thank you in advance for your help, I like to know the real cause of the problem before ordering a new motor and controller.

Regards
Zak
Zak, I'm no expert, but running the motor on the ground for more than a few seconds is usually a no-no! The ESC depends on cooling it gets from the headwind as the model travels through the air.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM
dkrhardy

Swede, I agree. Some folks say that props provide enough cooling on the ground, but I disagree. I doubt that the fan blows any air over the ESC on an EDF plane.
Don
Old 02-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
In the edf crowd it's comon to run no more than thirty seconds maximum of face serious melt down. Mostly we try hard to keep it to ten seconds or less.
Make sure everything is balanced well and totaly free spinning before you run it up too. You really need air flowing over the motor and esc. Unless you maybe somehow nicked or scratched the windings like maybe used too long of a motor mounting screw? That could also cause the problem.
Good luck with it. It's a fun plane.
RobII
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
zakarian
Zak

Hi everybody
Thanks for your answer.
I think this plane very comon in your country, and I have another question to ask.
Is the ESC cooling enought (under the battery), or it's beter to place it in one of the 2 air inlet veins of the turbine, by practising an opening.
Zak
Old 02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
More airflow over the esc is always better. However cloying up the ducting, either intend or eflux is very bad. You need the ducting to be smooth and clear for it to work properly.
I've flown several of these as a test pilot for friends and like most E-Flite brand models it works very well box stock. So you shouldn't need to modify it in any way.
RobII
Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 AM
zakarian
Zak

Hi Elfwreck
Thank you for your answer
Zak
Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 PM
zakarian
Zak

Hey
The Habu 32 is now powered with the recommended equipment and E-flite 80-Amp Pro Switch ESC. But I have another problem:
When I push the throttle stick gradually until the motor start,the engine runs during 1 or 2 sec., then current increase and the motor stops.
In your opinion what would be the cause the motor or the ESC programming (timing is default setting 15).
again thank you
Zak

Last edited by zakarian; 03-31-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: suppression
Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 PM
zakarian
Zak

Hey
The Habu 32 is now powered with the recommended equipment and E-flite 80-Amp Pro Switch ESC. But I have another problem:
When I push the throttle stick gradually until the motor start,the engine runs slowly well during 1 or 2 sec., then current increase and the motor stops.
In your opinion what would be the cause the motor or the ESC programming (timing is default setting 15).
again thank you
Zak