esc burn out ??? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

esc burn out ???

Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 PM
arthersleep

Default esc burn out ???

I will start with hi this is my first post

Now to the trouble in hand. I built a hobbyko edge 540 and i got all the elictrics going, I bought a cheap chinese 1400 kv outruner and esc 30a. I charged my eflite 2s 7.4 800mah battery and tested all was well and i was pleased. i chraged the battery today and ran a test. this is the strange bit it was running and stopped like the power or temp cut off clicked in. when i checked over the conecter for the battery was hot its jst and the esc was hot the servos where all working fine. so i let everything cool and checked the batt voltage that was fine. so connected it all up again checked all my connections and wires. i got the arming beep and then constant beeps then i got the white smoke from the esc and the jst was very hot and the wires going to esc from the battery jst but not to the battery. any ideas? or was it just a cheap pice off chinese esc.... Also should i be concerned about replacing the motor althought it wasnt warm and seems fine altough i havent connected to an esc, as i have a new one on order not from china this time.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 PM
dkrhardy

How long did you run the motor? Did you try bursts of full power? All of the components are supposed to have air blowing over them, as in LOTS of air, as in at flying speed. The prop blast is not enough to cool them.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:38 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

arthersleep, welcome to wattflyer! hard to say the cause of the meltdown. if everything was hooked up correctly and the dreaded white smoke appeared,it's safe to say you got bad merchandise from china.

i guess the use of the word "cheap" is synonymous with "failure".

i hope your next order arrives better than cheap stuff. i often use cheap china esc's from hobbyking,but the folks here at wattflyer showed me buying better equipment for my better built kits was the way to go.

again ,welcome to wf,stu
Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 PM
arthersleep

thanks for reply it was just burst and a little longer about 5 sec on half throttle. a lot less time than my first test and i had it hovering in my kitchen then. hence to confusion as it was heating up just from the arming beeps after i let it cool. i was trying to get the motor angle a little better as it was a little off with the talk roll
Old 09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
arthersleep

thanks for the help it was a duff esc runs nice on the new one