Beginners Jet Phase 3 U2 Spy Plane EDF Glider Sale $199 RTF - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Beginners Jet Phase 3 U2 Spy Plane EDF Glider Sale $199 RTF

Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Default Beginners Jet Phase 3 U2 Spy Plane EDF Glider Sale $199 RTF

This has to up there on the beginners EDF Electrical Ducted Fan Jet. Phase 3 from Hobby People U2 Spy Plane. You need room as certainly has a glide on the landing, did find it isn't near a floater as a true glider, but its docile handling and increadibly easy hand launch makes for a nice flyer. Most EDF Jets need at least a baseball hard toss to make it on the launch, this one simply a medium just over gentle toss and your up and away ! Two good flights to date, other than a misshap with my hat on the release. Hit hard and nosed into the turf but no harm done, slightest crinkle on the nose, a tuff bird ! It will need some down nose if you deadstick it to keep things flying, best to have slight power for an even better landing onto the grass. Some have put wheels on this one for hard surface landings. Its a gentle flyer and certainly going to order extra batteries. Flight time is over 5 minutes and perhaps near 8 or more with controled throttle, but I like to have more left in the lipo so will settle for the lower mark. Strongest lift sure it will thermal for even more fun, believe there is a youtube on it slope soaring as well. Quite a ship

Only cons and not serious, RTF required binding and had to hold a receiver button down at the same time plugging in the lipo, slow blue flash on the receiver and follow with the bind button on the transmitter, tho instructions are pretty clear took abit to accomplish this task without help.

Wings have 3 prongs and hold quite well, may want to add tape, likely not necessary unless your doing sporty flying. Does have simple tape fix on the tail surfaces but found this saved the damage on a bad landing as surfaces snapped lose on impact instead of breaking, others still may want to glue.

Even with the best intensions things can go wrong with one of the easiest flyers, lucky to have a bystander do a video for me, alas the hat trick, course it has rather long wings, I was stupid, what else can I say. Loads of videos on this one, here's the hat trick, enjoy..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtWPVci_Rcc[/media]

Nope, zero damage to the U2, other than slightest bend on the nose its near intact...

Later will post a correct flight on launch and questionable landing, simply keep it flying for the smoother touchdown, it requires abit of speed to accomplish the landing correctly.

My flight early this morning was windless and launched beautifully, several minutes of smooth flying, really looks cool in the air this steathy glider. It is dark so keep it in the visual, made great altitude prettly quickly, its not a darter by any means, still a really fun ship. Don't expect it to float as the true gliders, but it will need room on the landing as still a lengthy glide coming in.

Give this model a strong thumbs up !

Last edited by phillipmorris; 05-11-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 05-11-2011, 02:00 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Just purchased mine last week, see now out of stock, sure it will be available again, was a mag review recently on this one as well, perhaps reason for some of its attention. It is a great flyer.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...port-2-4g.html
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Last able to upload the hand launch and landing thanks to a bystander doing the camera work, outstanding as kept things inframe.

Yep this puppie does fly and quite well, just pay attention to its long wings on launch, hah. So docile its a real treat to fly, and the launch is easy as glider like inflight, no dumping this one in the ground, unless your hats in the way..gads. Other jets can be a handful to baseball toss for any hope of getting airborne, not the case here ! Simply enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTjALZRHnmc

Last edited by phillipmorris; 05-11-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: video
Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi Phillip
Congratulations
Nice videos
I recently ordered one cant hardly wait until she arrives
http://www.hobbytron.com/Phase3U2Ste...CAirplane.html
Im thinking of changing her colors and markings to one of these
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...3&postcount=11
Thanks ever so much for sharing that with us
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 AM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

when is the last time you have seen a not so good review
Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

On the EDF Jets, especially the hand launched ones, they can give them all the max stars but I find them a challange to get airborne. One of our flyers has good luck with his but still on a rare occasion pops them into the turf.

Tho my U2 did hit the ground after the hat trick, its less likely to have such issues to my relief, hopefully many flights ahead...nice to have one this easy to launch...
Old 07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
leerob

I just bought one. I got the kit version because I'm a Spektrum guy. Does anyone know what kind of foam is used? I don't have any idea what kind of paint to use to paint it.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

You want foam safe paints, believe a friend of mine has the correct info for you, will get back to you. The paint can flake on this one, so a protective spray is also a good idea.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:34 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Available at Walmart, acrylic paints, are in small bottles, great for foam.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:28 PM
leerob

Thanks, I will go look for it.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:51 PM
dkrhardy

Wipe with rubbing alcohol and use Krylon Fusion paint. I did my modded S Cub and not one single flake came off .... yet?