Cellpro Multi4 Question - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

Cellpro Multi4 Question

Old 01-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Question Cellpro Multi4 Question

I have two questions on my Multi4 charger with firmware ver 1.55.

1. I have two Turnigy 1300mah 3S lipo batteries. The specs say they can be charged at a 2C rate. When I charge them using the built in 2C rate everything starts great. The actual current is usually around 2.4 amps for the bulk of the charge. A problem occurs when they hit 90% charge. About half of the time the charger says the pack was disconnected. I just start the charge again and it finishes fine. This happens with both batteries. Charging at the 1C rate is always fine. Any ideas on how to get the 2C rate working all of the time?

2. I also have an E-Flite 1250 3S lipo that now seems to be damaged. The charger comes back with a bad cell count message. My question is, is there any way to use the charger as a Multi-Meter? So I can see the individual cell voltages, but not be actively charging? I think this would be a great feature. The overall battery voltage seems fine. 11.9V. I have a balance charge port cell voltmeter on order, but it would have been nice just to use the Cellpro.

I've had my Multi 4 since last June, and it has performed great. It's so easy to use with the built in charge rates, that I have spent my time building and flying instead of worrying about my batteries. Thanks for the great product.

Steve
Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 AM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Steve,
I Have the FMA cell pro 4 charger and the mode button allows scrolling thru the menu, one of which shows individual cell voltage. I did have a similar problem with a couple of batteries where it would disconnect. Checking individual cell volts one was way low of the other two. Attempted to bring up to par but ended up trashing the battery. One out of 15 batteries I guess is not all that bad

CC
Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Capn Chaos,

Thanks for the info yet again! The only way I can get the individual cell voltages to display is to start a charge. But because of the bad cell count error, the charge won't start, so I can't see the voltages. Is there another way?

For the disconnect problem, I was thinking of performing a custom profile of the Turnigy batteries to see of that helps, but they are back in storage again waiting for good weather. Maybe in a month or two, when the Pocket Rocket is ready!

Steve
Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 AM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

it sounds like a bad cell I believe that was the reading I got. I had a 1300 mah that did resurrect itself but my 2700 mah was toast. Oh well.

CC
Old 01-23-2010, 03:00 AM
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Originally Posted by slabuta View Post
I have two questions on my Multi4 charger with firmware ver 1.55.

1. I have two Turnigy 1300mah 3S lipo batteries. The specs say they can be charged at a 2C rate. When I charge them using the built in 2C rate everything starts great. The actual current is usually around 2.4 amps for the bulk of the charge. A problem occurs when they hit 90% charge. About half of the time the charger says the pack was disconnected. I just start the charge again and it finishes fine. This happens with both batteries. Charging at the 1C rate is always fine. Any ideas on how to get the 2C rate working all of the time?

2. I also have an E-Flite 1250 3S lipo that now seems to be damaged. The charger comes back with a bad cell count message. My question is, is there any way to use the charger as a Multi-Meter? So I can see the individual cell voltages, but not be actively charging? I think this would be a great feature. The overall battery voltage seems fine. 11.9V. I have a balance charge port cell voltmeter on order, but it would have been nice just to use the Cellpro.

I've had my Multi 4 since last June, and it has performed great. It's so easy to use with the built in charge rates, that I have spent my time building and flying instead of worrying about my batteries. Thanks for the great product.

Steve
Hi,

The following was posted in another forum previously, therefore all of it might not apply to you. However, I think the solution you need is in there:

The reason we had not yet posted this work-around solution is because we only pinpointed that the 5 minute balance timeout was tripping the pack removed error last week and with the help of Sparkie. So, thanks a lot for the help Sparkie! It's true, customers have informed us of pack removed errors from time-to-time and previous firmware upgrades have solved most of the issues already. But this specific symptom was never precisely identified before now. We still feel like the issue is fairly isolated and may be due to aging packs or defective packs having one or more cells that have begun to deteriorate in performance relative to the other cells in the pack. So, it is now confirmed that increasing the balance timeout on any preset should resolve the pack removed issue for customers experiencing this and we're happy to know. Isn't it nice to know that with Multi4 you as the customer have the power to address the issue without sending the charger back or simply "living with the problem"? This is a prime example of the power of open architecture presets. Soon, we'll be issuing a corrective firmware release for this symptom. Basically, if a customer is using a Faster charge preset, one of the several parameters that makes it "faster" is that it spends less time balancing the pack near end of charge. Timeout is 5 min vs. 30 min. So even though the pack removed error is being tripped, there is no actual error. The packs may not be fully charged, however, because the charger is not working as hard to balance the pack in faster charge presets. So when a customer reports that fuel levels ended at 80% charge, we are not completely surprised. We think in the majority of cases, even with 5 minute balance timeout, the packs should reach at least 90% most of the time, and of course some cells will be close to or at 100%. One solution we considered would be to increase the balance timeout across the board for all presets. We could write a behind-the-scenes procedure that would identify any charger having 5 minute balance timeout and increase it to 30 minutes. This might solve the problem completely, but it would also eliminate one of the key parameters that enhances Faster charge presets. This represents a compromise to the majority of the market who do not have any problems attaining 100% charge or nearly 100% charge using the faster charge presets. So, what we're going to do is have the charger "DONE" followed by the end Fuel number. Basically, if a charge completes on a balance timeout, it could be an indication that an aging pack requires more time in balance to get to 90% or 100% capacity. If a customer sees end-charge fuel level this on the LCD, then it will provide a clue that he either needs to revert to an Accurate charge preset for this pack or increase the balance timeout for the current preset. In fact, for a customer experiencing this problem, the best setting would be to increase the timeout just enough to prevent getting the pack removed error, but without having to substantially lengthen to charge time for the charger to complete normally; e.g., don't go from 5 min all the way to 30 min, rather try 10 min, 15 min balance timeout setting until the error disappears (current firmware) or the end fuel level reaches an acceptable value (future firmware). We're thinking this is the better solution as it gives the customer more control over the situation.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:36 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Tim,

Thanks for the message. That does sound like what is happening with my Turnigy batteries. I'll give it a shot.

Steve