OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :) - Page 37 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Gofer303

After the first crash with mine Mr. SS meets a high strung live wire I kinda seem to have a contest with my SS as to see how close to crashing I can get. last crash was the best and since then have been unable to fix it or get a new one as $$ are kinda tight now. Thanks for the video the nostalgia is appreciated!
Old 07-15-2011, 03:03 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Well this past Sun. I had a motor go out on my P-38 it was only the second flight for this plane. She was flying great just rebalanced it to use 3c 2200 mah batteries one for each motor. I don't know what happened to have a motor shut down I am thinking that some how the esc for the left wing motor was set to a higher LVC and it kicked in before it should of. Haven't taken it out yet to put it on the programming card to see. Both batteries had the same voltage per cell that is what makes me think the ESC was set different.
Never had this happen with any of my twins. When I came out of a banking turn she corkscrewed right into mother earth fast.
Looks like I have some rebuilding to do on the rainy days she will fly again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rc airplanes 004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	150779   Click image for larger version

Name:	sig 010.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	150780  
Old 07-15-2011, 05:34 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Well this past Sun. I had a motor go out on my P-38 it was only the second flight for this plane. She was flying great just rebalanced it to use 3c 2200 mah batteries one for each motor. I don't know what happened to have a motor shut down I am thinking that some how the esc for the left wing motor was set to a higher LVC and it kicked in before it should of. Haven't taken it out yet to put it on the programming card to see. Both batteries had the same voltage per cell that is what makes me think the ESC was set different.
Never had this happen with any of my twins. When I came out of a banking turn she corkscrewed right into mother earth fast.
Looks like I have some rebuilding to do on the rainy days she will fly again.
Ouch, that hurts!
Out of curiosity, are you using Castle Creations ESC's? If so, make certain your ESC is programmed to reduce power to the motor on low battery voltage. NOT simply kill the motor on low battery voltage.

I screwed up on the maiden flight on my giant scale Extra 330. The motor shut down, and since I could not hear the motor, it landed in a plowed field, wiping out the center portion of the fuse.

Had that ESC been programmed to simply reduce power, the model could have been limped back to the field.

Since then, the ESC has been programmed to reduce power at about 2 Volts DC per cell. And the flights are limited to 6 minutes, out of a maximum possible flight time of about 10 minutes.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Gramps

Sorry to see and hear that, looks like a sweet plane. I'm sure you will bring it back. I like multi engine and the P38 in particular, but have usually shied away based on the old line:
" Multi engines are great, in case of an engine failure you always have enough power to get to the scene of the crash"

Don't have any idea who came up with that
Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

One battery source for twins! Very important.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:38 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Denny they are the Exceed RC ESC 25 AMP using a castle ubec. Good tip on the castle ESC and setting it up that way. One thing I did notice was the UBEC was real warm to the touch. I wonder if that might have caused the lack of power and it didn't seem like I had any control of the plane once it made a dive to the ground.

Dumo your right it had plenty of power to get to the crash site.
Glad the swamp is not full of water this time of year. Would of fried all the electronics if it was.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
One battery source for twins! Very important.
I originaly had it setup that way, and then I changed my mind and ripped out all that extra wire running through the wing. Weird part was both batteries did have the same cell count when I checked them.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:10 AM
crshbandit

Default Bp hobbies Pitts crunch and munch

Second flight of my Pitts today(first flight attempt resulted in a snap on takeoff), didn't go so well. This is my first Bi-plane and something is just not right. I had a hard time even getting the plane under control after takeoff. It almost seemed like every time I tried to bank for a turn it would snap into a spin. The damage is pretty bad. Not sure if it is salvagable. Also, I noticed that when I tried to throttle up before takeoff to test the motor, I had to move the stick almost half way up before the engine started turning. Anyone have a suggestion on what would cause this?

Old 07-16-2011, 06:14 AM
crshbandit

Default Balsa BP hobbies Pitts crunch

Old 07-16-2011, 06:30 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Ouch!!! That sounds like a CG issue. (The handling, not the motor problem...)
Old 07-16-2011, 11:07 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by crshbandit View Post
Second flight of my Pitts today(first flight attempt resulted in a snap on takeoff), didn't go so well. This is my first Bi-plane and something is just not right. I had a hard time even getting the plane under control after takeoff. It almost seemed like every time I tried to bank for a turn it would snap into a spin. The damage is pretty bad. Not sure if it is salvagable. Also, I noticed that when I tried to throttle up before takeoff to test the motor, I had to move the stick almost half way up before the engine started turning. Anyone have a suggestion on what would cause this?

What size prop are you using looking at the prop, plane and the cowel, it looks like you are using a prop that is way to big in Diameter and its causing a really bad torque roll, its looks fixable, it just got a bloody nose , just my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie
Old 07-16-2011, 11:16 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

put the CG at 25% of the combined wings leading edge and trailing edge on the other wing, lateral balance the plane with a string at the top of the wing at the CG location, after its even, the wing tips being level, add a little extra weight to the right wing tip so its pointing down a tad, that will help to overcome some of the torque of the motor and prop, I do that with all of my planes and they fly great and its not a problem with landing, Hope that helps, Chellie

Example : if the wings are 4" wide and there is a 2" over lap, then your combined wing width is 6", CG of 25% on a 6" cord wing is 1.5" behind the leading edge of the forward wing. stick with it, you will get it, Bi Planes are a little touchy and take some getting used to dont worry if this bi plane does not look real pertty after the repairs, its going to be your Bi Plane trainer, for the next Bi Plane, its best to get a bi plane with a 40" W/S or larger, they will fly more stable for you.

Last edited by CHELLIE; 07-16-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 PM
crshbandit

After assessing the damage, not sure I want to try and rebuild this. It was an arf so I don't have any plans and the fuse is so destroyed that I really don't think I could get it back together and have it come out square. I am sure someone with more building knowledge than me could do it but I am not a great builder. Anyone have any suggestions on a good foam bipe for me to learn on? Something that's easy to repair!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:32 PM
old grump

Default funny crash

Yesterday a new scratch built got behind me (i cant turn around , disabled. I landed uprite on my roof. When i realized it's electric , so i took off from the roof, No damage ! THE OLD GRUMP
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

After assessing the damage, not sure I want to try and rebuild this. It was an arf so I don't have any plans and the fuse is so destroyed that I really don't think I could get it back together and have it come out square. I am sure someone with more building knowledge than me could do it but I am not a great builder. Anyone have any suggestions on a good foam bipe for me to learn on? Something that's easy to repair!
Here you go tell Jeff that Chellie sent you

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-GEMINI/Detail

Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM
bthrel

Lost a Pulse XT 25e yesterday. Had about 10 flights on it, always seemed to have a glitch or two up in the air, mainly elevator and I attributed it to too much throw and toned it down some. Sunday I got an aileron glitch, continued flying (alone) while the club trainer arrived. Finished flight made a perfect landing. Asked Rick to watch a second flight to get his take and it never made it much past 100 feet up and 100 feet out from a perfect take off when it snapped upside down and whet straight into the ground. Controls were totally unresponsive, even throttle (was at about 2/3). At the crash site, the battery was punctured and ejected so I could not verify controls or AR600 link status. Back at flight line, I connected new battery and all controls were operational and AR600 had solid link (could not verify motor).

I'm a solid intermediate pilot and we both suspect the new AR600 receiver. The kit is built entirely of all the e-flite recommended products so hopefully Horizon will have a solution for me.

Edit: Flew two other e-flite kits (PT-19 and T-28D, both with 100';s of flights) all using their equipment but AR500's all with a DX6i, no issues

Lesson learned, if there is a single glitch in flight, dont fly until its 100% sorted out... P.S. it range checked at well over the recommended distance.

I'll keep you posted.

Brian

Last edited by bthrel; 07-20-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:43 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by bthrel View Post
Lost a Pulse XT 25e yesterday. Had about 10 flights on it, always seemed to have a glitch or two up in the air, mainly elevator and I attributed it to too much throw and toned it down some. Sunday I got an aileron glitch, continued flying (alone) while the club trainer arrived. Finished flight made a perfect landing. Asked Rick to watch a second flight to get his take and it never made it much past 100 feet up and 100 feet out from a perfect take off when it snapped upside down and whet straight into the ground. Controls were totally unresponsive, even throttle (was at about 2/3). At the crash site, controles (except motor) were responsive and the AR600 had a solid LED.

I'm a solid intermediate pilot and we both suspect the new AR600 receiver. The kit is built entirely of all the e-flite recommended products so hopefully Horizon will have a solution for me.

Edit: Flew two other e-flite kits (PT-19 and T-28D, both with 100';s of flights) all using their equipment but AR500's all with a DX6i, no issues

Lesson learned, if there is a single glitch in flight, dont fly until its 100% sorted out... P.S. it range checked at well over the recommended distance.

I'll keep you posted.

Brian
Out of curiosity, did you buy the receiver direct from Horizon, or a reputable dealer? (Koko in China has been building counterfeit radios identical to the DX6i systems)

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59662
Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 PM
bthrel

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Out of curiosity, did you buy the receiver direct from Horizon, or a reputable dealer? (Koko in China has been building counterfeit radios identical to the DX6i systems)

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59662
Purchased all including the AR600 from HobbyZone in the USA, Horizon has requested the wreckage be sent it for evaluation. Fingers crossed.

In retrospect, reviews of the AR600 on Horizons site are less than stellar with several flyaway and many brownouts.

Brian
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Took the pz bf-109 out this morning to try out the flaps I installed last night.
I haven't completely figured out the cause yet but I lost elevator authority about 20 seconds in to the flight.
The end result is a plane in three sections.

Name:	2011-08-01_09.51.20.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	151455  
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
Took the pz bf-109 out this morning to try out the flaps I installed last night.
I haven't completely figured out the cause yet but I lost elevator authority about 20 seconds in to the flight.
Oh Crap! The flaps will make her"pitch down"when deployed but you prob'ly know that,, from the looks of that 109 she's fixable, i can tell she was quite a looker,, Great paint job! hope to see her up there soon, bubsteve
Old 08-01-2011, 11:55 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi
So sorry to see that
Try an Airfoilz "The Bipe NX"
Do enjoy
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11A8jA30pxc&feature=player_embedded[/media]
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 AM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
Time to break out the gorilla glue! Busted up my 109 couple weeks ago. Used. That stuff for the first time and its fantastic! Good luck! It'll be flying again before you know it.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

mine is a little touchy but fun and fast!bubsteve

Name:	petty_an_red_817.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	151457  
Old 08-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by HeliScRapYard View Post
Time to break out the gorilla glue! Busted up my 109 couple weeks ago. Used. That stuff for the first time and its fantastic! Good luck! It'll be flying again before you know it.
Haha. Already picked some up on the way home. Using hot glue for the initial repair and using the gorilla glue to fill all the gaps. She won't be pretty but shell fly.
Its was my first major crash. If your gonna crash, crash big.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM
crshbandit

nice flying there Kench, I am looking for a bipe since crashing my Balsa Pitts from BP hobbies. I am going to foam now until I get a bit better at flying!

Quick Reply: OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14576 seconds with 15 queries