The Economy and Your RC Hobby - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

The Economy and Your RC Hobby

Old 06-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Default The Economy and Your RC Hobby

I was just about to pull the trigger on a sweet looking 3D plane from Stevens AeroModel; the Edge 540. I even had a 10% discount coupon I was going to use. Everything was in my shopping cart and I was about to hit the "Oh yea baby a new plane!" button when I decided it may not be the best thing to do right now. My fuel costs have gone up $160 more a month, groceries are getting more and more expensive, and summer is just around the corner meaning day trips with the family on the weekends. So I didn't go ahead and buy the plane although I really wanted to. I really want that plane, but my conscience is telling me know.

Has anyone else had second thoughts on your RC purchases lately or am I the only one.

Frank
Old 06-07-2008, 12:22 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

I felt the same way when wanting another motor/esc/and some 4S batt's. I had to seriously consider my options. Gas is up/Food is up/ Overtime at work is down.

I bought the RC stuff anyway but I'm sure I'll suffer for it later.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:30 AM
griffin

Holy coincidence!

I was just looking at purchasing that very same plane today myself and held off as well!

But for me, it's not so much money as time this summer. The local economy is so good here my business is booked until thanksgiving.

Building a house and our adoption plans cost so much that a plane would hardly put us in the poor house.....

The great thing about this hobby is it doesn't need to cost a fortune if money is tight. A guy can cut spending back and still have fun---build smaller, build from scratch, raid existing planes for gear and be extra careful to not crash.

In Franks case, a G-Ride or Groove could cost half as much as the Edge to buy and outfit and still be a big o pile of fun.

-Steve

(who may still push that "submit order" button....)
Old 06-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Steve,

You have mail.

Frank
Old 06-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

i was finally able to budget enough money for my first giant scale bird and was just finishing planning the setup and now i have to hold off

my business that has been around since 1992 is going under by the end of the month because the entire industry is starving in south florida and we cant keep it afloat anymore. so now who knows how long the hobby will have to be on hiatus.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:09 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I guess we are all feeling it. Frank if you didn't live in the great white north and drive all the way to dixie everyday for work your gas bill might not be so high!

I did have to hesitate for a few minutes yesterday before I bought that B-25...

Seriously though it is making an impact. When I got my Mastercard bill from our trip to SEFF I about fainted... I already knew how much we spent on fuel but seeing it in black and white hurt just a tad, well more than a tad really...
Old 06-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Elfi Flyer
Elfi's, beauty in flight.

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
...When I got my Mastercard bill from our trip to SEFF I about fainted... I already knew how much we spent on fuel but seeing it in black and white hurt just a tad, well more than a tad really...
Oh, but it's a good 'hurt', and it built character! Money well spent at a great event. And, you got to meet a character like me!!

The economy is hurting me more in business travel than with RC activities, the benefit of having so many good vendors available via the internet. The travel costs for retrieving the World Tour Tiger Moth in Pennsylvania and transporting it to AMA in Muncie will be a bit of a bite, but again, IMHO, well worth it.

Start saving for SEFF 2009! I am waiting with baited breath to hear of the dates for the event.

Regards!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:42 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Oh so I have to put up with you at Keith's fly in too! LOL

We are going to be there, one of the trips I can not put off.

And yes SEFF was well worth every dollar it took us to get there and back. And it was even a pleasure to meet you!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
i was finally able to budget enough money for my first giant scale bird and was just finishing planning the setup and now i have to hold off

my business that has been around since 1992 is going under by the end of the month because the entire industry is starving in south florida and we cant keep it afloat anymore. so now who knows how long the hobby will have to be on hiatus.
Wow, sorry to hear that. What business are you in?

Frank
Old 06-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Holy coincidence!

I was just looking at purchasing that very same plane today myself and held off as well!

But for me, it's not so much money as time this summer. The local economy is so good here my business is booked until thanksgiving.

Building a house and our adoption plans cost so much that a plane would hardly put us in the poor house.....

The great thing about this hobby is it doesn't need to cost a fortune if money is tight. A guy can cut spending back and still have fun---build smaller, build from scratch, raid existing planes for gear and be extra careful to not crash.

In Franks case, a G-Ride or Groove could cost half as much as the Edge to buy and outfit and still be a big o pile of fun.

-Steve

(who may still push that "submit order" button....)
Small world indeed! That Edge 540 is one sweet plane that's for sure. I miss it before I even got it. :o

Frank
Old 06-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I guess we are all feeling it. Frank if you didn't live in the great white north and drive all the way to dixie everyday for work your gas bill might not be so high!

I did have to hesitate for a few minutes yesterday before I bought that B-25...

Seriously though it is making an impact. When I got my Mastercard bill from our trip to SEFF I about fainted... I already knew how much we spent on fuel but seeing it in black and white hurt just a tad, well more than a tad really...

I hear ya Bill, but it's the price I pay for living where I do for the family. Gas is definitely putting the pinch on things 'round here along with everything else. Sure wish I would hit the lottery so I wouldn't have to worry about any petty purchases under $10K.

So you went ahead and got that B-25?

Frank
Old 06-07-2008, 01:51 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

couldn't resist...

I know it is nice up that way, We like it where we are too though, it does get a bit busy at times but overall this area is very nice.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:52 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Wow, sorry to hear that. What business are you in?

Frank
thanks, its a ceramic floor tile store. its always been a great market down here yet for the past 8-12 months its been DEAD, all the major players down here in the industry have been closing down and my little store cant hang on anymore. i put in an application with the city of miami PD and hopefully all goes well there, its what i really want to do , not sell tile anyway.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
thanks, its a ceramic floor tile store. its always been a great market down here yet for the past 8-12 months its been DEAD, all the major players down here in the industry have been closing down and my little store cant hang on anymore. i put in an application with the city of miami PD and hopefully all goes well there, its what i really want to do , not sell tile anyway.
It could just be fate to get you doing what you really want to be doing. Good luck with the PD. I'm sure life will be pretty interesting down that way as a police officer.

Frank
Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

couldn't resist...

I know it is nice up that way, We like it where we are too though, it does get a bit busy at times but overall this area is very nice.
Let me know when you are going to maiden and I'll come down and film it for you. Is it gonna be ready for Keith's fun fly?

Frank
Old 06-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Elfi Flyer
Elfi's, beauty in flight.

Oh so I have to put up with you at Keith's fly in too! LOL We are going to be there, one of the trips I can not put off.
Looking forward to meeting you again at the PA event. Perhaps you can take a picture or two of Keith and I doing the WTTM transfer.

Hang in there!

Last edited by Elfi Flyer; 06-12-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:05 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by Elfi Flyer View Post
Looking forward to meeting you again at the PA event. Perhaps you can take a picture of two of Keith and I doing the WTTM transfer.

Hang in there!
I was hoping the WAA-08 plane would be around to Keith's by the time he had his fun fly but it doesn't look that is going to happen.

Looking forward to seeing the WTTM in person.

Frank
Old 06-07-2008, 02:05 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Elfi Flyer View Post
Looking forward to meeting you again at the PA event. Perhaps you can take a picture of two of Keith and I doing the WTTM transfer.

Hang in there!
You got it!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:09 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Let me know when you are going to maiden and I'll come down and film it for you. Is it gonna be ready for Keith's fun fly?

Frank

Oh I don't think so! I sure wish it could be but It'll be way to busy the rest of the month to get it done. I coach our Men's Church softball team in the Liberty league. we are in first place at the moment at 8-0. Between Mason playing baseball, the two older ones in Youth Coed Softball, our adult CO Ed team, and our Men's team, we play ball or are at a ball field about everyday of the week except Wed and Sunday til the end of the month.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:21 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Fortunatly, I'm a practical man, always have been, always intend to be (sorry ladies ). I don't plan to own more than three planes, if even that much (OK, maybe 4). Right now my EZ* fills what needs I curently have, trainer, casual park flyer, entry level glider/sailplane.

See what I mean? Practical.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:29 AM
Mr.Clean

Im sorry to hear about your troubles guys. The funny end of the whole thing is that over hear in Buffalo the economy has been horrible for about 4 years. All of the city employees have been on a wage freeze for 3 years now. My school district has not had a contract in 4 years. I have lost $15,000 total since the control board took over the city's finances and thats just inlost step raises. My twins were born a month and a half before they announced the wage freezes.

The funny part about it is that for me the recession has been here for three years now. The only way I was able to keep my head above water was to start my own painting company. I had been painting on the side for a friend for years. My company grew quickly on the principles of doing the best job we can, charging people fair prices, and never making promises we cant keep.

I am now going into my forth years running my painting busniess and I can say that I earn an additional %50 above my teachers salary. I am also able to give some of the other teachers with young famlies a way to earn extra cash to help make ends meet.

So the best I can say is I guess things happen for a reason. I am sure that you will come out on top. Anyone who can run their own store successfully for 10 years definatily will find the resources to be successful in any line of work.

Good Luck
Clean
Old 06-07-2008, 02:45 AM
HeadMaster

Nah....I have the get it now before they raise the price mentality

Plus ...gotta have something to do on Staycation....Im saving the money by not travailing on vacations.

....and I drive the Camry to work instead of my truck....so I am finding ways to save...just not my planes or
Starbucks coffee.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:58 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

The price of gas and groceries is killing me too. We are a family of 7, and the grocery bill is hitting $250 every 2 weeks. Gas to go to work is $70+/- every week and growing. I've backed off on planes and have started using 72mhz instead of Spektrum to save a few dollars. I have 2 grounded planes that need parts, but I keep talking myself out of it. I fortunately have very good job security (Correctional Officer) that gets more secure as the economy gets worse.
I usually drive 40 miles round trip to fly with Newjak and Autorail1 every Thursday, but lately due to kids, they have been driving my direction to fly at a kid friendly park. I've been thankful for that lately.
Bad thing is, IF the gas prices do go down, the price of food won't. They'll keep it up there, I'm sure.
Oh well..... good luck everyone. A friend once told me:
"God will not do anything to you that you cannot handle. He will test you throughout your life and it's how you do on those little tests that determine your worthiness."
Old 06-07-2008, 03:47 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Yea, I'm Thinking about Opening a Store and Selling Dreams... Anyone want to buy some Dreams... I got some really good dreams for a cheap price...lol
SK
Old 06-07-2008, 03:50 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Dreams that last all night without worries are at a premium... Unfortunately they are all backordered at the moment...
SK

Quick Reply: The Economy and Your RC Hobby

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15799 seconds with 13 queries