Problem: Eflite Power 46 with Eflite 60A ESC - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electronic Builders Workshop Discuss how to build motors, ESC's, chargers, mixers, etc here

Problem: Eflite Power 46 with Eflite 60A ESC

Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Hugo

Default Problem: Eflite Power 46 with Eflite 60A ESC

I've just bought these equipment and I have the following problem: I connect properly the motor, the ESC and the power suply. The ESC makes its beeps and, after that, I move the throttle stick to Full Throttle. The motor runs two or three seconds and stops. It's like this:

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=69diknhqJWI[/media]

I'm using an Eflite power 46 motor with an Eflite 60A ESC and an adjustable 6A voltage source for tests with no prop (the no load current is 3,88A). I'm controlling it with a Futaba T6XA radio. I put no subtrim and an adjust of +-120%. I used soft brake, 10 deg timming, throttle range from 1.2ms to 1.8ms, start-up rate of .25s, PWM switching frequency of 8kHz. I've already tryed other settings but it didn't solve.

There has already happened something similar described in other topic, but there wasn't a solution (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18807).

I ask if you have any suggestions.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:32 PM
simibill
General Factotum

You didn't mention what voltage your source is providing. It just sounds to me like the ESC is shutting the motor off due to the Low Voltage cutoff being activated.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Hugo

Thaks, simibil. It was exactly that. I configured the controller to 5S, but I was using only 14,8V. It's working properly now.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:41 AM
mjbennett9

Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
I've just bought these equipment and I have the following problem: I connect properly the motor, the ESC and the power suply. The ESC makes its beeps and, after that, I move the throttle stick to Full Throttle. The motor runs two or three seconds and stops. It's like this:

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=69diknhqJWI[/media]

I'm using an Eflite power 46 motor with an Eflite 60A ESC and an adjustable 6A voltage source for tests with no prop (the no load current is 3,88A). I'm controlling it with a Futaba T6XA radio. I put no subtrim and an adjust of +-120%. I used soft brake, 10 deg timming, throttle range from 1.2ms to 1.8ms, start-up rate of .25s, PWM switching frequency of 8kHz. I've already tryed other settings but it didn't solve.

There has already happened something similar described in other topic, but there wasn't a solution (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18807).

I ask if you have any suggestions.
I JUST made below post to rcgroups. WOW!. Im calling eflite tomorrow!!!

I made all those setting changes to like timing trottle, etc and nothing, but SAME results you have.

I'm pretty happy with the non-decal kit. Has everything for $50 less and it's papered already.

I found that my CG is good arond 7.25" from LE (slightly nose heavy). I haven't flown it yet, but have tossed it in my backyard to ensure it flys straight and true before the power up toss. This method has served me well for my 120mph F27C stryker whenever I make changes to control surfaces or the power plant.

I setup per manual (with our mods), and threw it. First time and it was level and no rolling. Of course power up with change that somewhat, but I'm confident it should fly well.

I didn't fly today cuz I was on a 16 hours building marathon to get this plane done. It's all done except for tail mods.

I had a few bad experiences last week with Hobby Lobby F16 and glitches they've been having. They took return no problem and I got Phase 3. Man, the phase is a LOT more work to build it. Hopefully it's worth it on maiden.

I used Don's wicked 4000 and SF fan from horizon hobby. It's a screamer, but I kinda wish I went with another more "jet sounding" fan. Not only that, I'm gonna near ear plugs as my ears are still ringing from teh sound of this thing. It's in between the jet sound and cheap stock sound, so I can't compain too much for a first build which came out AWESOME. I cut fuse into three and use magnets on middle fuse. I used car chasis plastic protector on entire bottom and MAN this thing is rock solid now. Just need to paint it.

I used HS65MG servos and Eflite 60A pro ESC with a 4S TP 2200 V2. I have a wattmeter, but haven't done anything as of yet.

I also upgraded to a futaba 7c 2.4 because my hitec optic 6 was giving me glitching problems with a prior EDF.

However, I'm beginning to think I still have a glitch or more likely a power plant issue.

4 out of times I apply throttle and as soon as it hits 1/4 throttle, the motor cuts out. The pack is brand new and balanced. It's fully charged. The Motor is new from Don. The ESC is brand new from LHS. The servos are only a few months old, but no crashes and high quality. The receiver is brand new and has a link and 300' range check was non-problematic.

When it does power up, MAN it has some thrust (and noisy). A little vibration that goes away when I tighten up fuse (needs a little more double sided foam tape to hold motor in on the top.

Anyway, not sure if I have a bum motor, ESC or glitching??? I checked and reset the ESC settings a dozen times. Everything is right. and timing is low.

Any help appreciated.