SBD Dauntless - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

SBD Dauntless

Old 04-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Old_Crow

Default SBD Dauntless

Does anyone know of any plans or kits for an Electric SBD-Dauntless? I want to build one sort of as an homage to my father who was a tailgunner in WWII and this was his plane.

I did some searches but the results I found were mostly Nitro.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

I know this won't help you ... but they have a full-size one of these planes hanging in the concourse in Chigago Midway airport in. (...just an interesting bit of trivia...)

http://gewirtz.net/photoblog/archives/000854.html

When I walked under this thing, the main thing that impressed me is how small this airplane is.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by HampdenTech View Post
Does anyone know of any plans or kits for an Electric SBD-Dauntless? I want to build one sort of as an homage to my father who was a tailgunner in WWII and this was his plane.

I did some searches but the results I found were mostly Nitro.

Thanks,
Bob
Hello HT,

I've been looking for the Dauntless also. It's one of my favorite planes and you rarely see it modeled. I'll look around some more to see what's out there. I think you'll be hard pressed to find one specifically for electric but you could take a set of nitro plans and modify them as you build. You can also use a set of Guillows plans, enlarge and modify them.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Old_Crow

Originally Posted by Gnascher View Post
I know this won't help you ... but they have a full-size one of these planes hanging in the concourse in Chigago Midway airport in. (...just an interesting bit of trivia...)

http://gewirtz.net/photoblog/archives/000854.html

When I walked under this thing, the main thing that impressed me is how small this airplane is.
I've seen them close up also. If I remember correctly, there's one in the National Air and Space Museum in Washington. If you ever see a top view of the gunner's seat, it's very cramped and my father was over 6 feet tall. I'm not sure how he sat strapped in there for hours during a mission.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Old_Crow

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Hello HT,

I've been looking for the Dauntless also. It's one of my favorite planes and you rarely see it modeled. I'll look around some more to see what's out there. I think you'll be hard pressed to find one specifically for electric but you could take a set of nitro plans and modify them as you build. You can also use a set of Guillows plans, enlarge and modify them.
I had thought of the Guillows kit. The kit on their site is a 31-1/4" wingspan. I'm wondering if this could be converted to electric RC. I wasn't necessarily looking to scratch-build this.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

They can be converted. Bill G did a beautiful job on his. Here's a link to a picture of it. Go to post #12.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ess#post259806
Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

I remember seeing a good looking kit a while back with Grasshopper. Can't remember where though. He might remember. Also, I think I had my eye on the Mark Rittinger kit too. If I remember correctly, it was one of the kits that was pleasing to my sense of scale (for what that's worth).

You'll have to search for the link though. Put up a build thread too!!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:08 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

If I was smarter, I would have copied the link for you. It is a build thread over on RCG. Come back here and do the thread though!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dauntless 1.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	63169   Click image for larger version

Name:	dauntless 2.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	63170  
Old 04-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
If I was smarter, I would have copied the link for you. It is a build thread over on RCG. Come back here and do the thread though!!
I like that! I think I may have just found my next build project.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I like that! I think I may have just found my next build project.
It IS a pretty plane isn't it!!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Here's a link to a build thread on another Dauntless on RCG.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515431

Name:	DD 93 EZ.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	63171  
Old 04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

With the current run on History Channel of "Battle360", this may become a more popular build.....these birds were pretty busy in the PacFleet.

Personally, I would like to bu ild one too someday.....
Old 04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

The thing I liked about the Rittinger kits is the sheeting. But otherwise, those planes look pretty identical to me. Let's build'em all!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
The thing I liked about the Rittinger kits is the sheeting. But otherwise, those planes look pretty identical to me. Let's build'em all!
I prefer the sheeting too. Do you have a link to the Rittinger kit?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:47 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

I can't find the plans or kit right now. Here is the build thread and another picture thread of a build. Good starts. The plans link in the build thread is dead.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326631

http://modelairplanenews.com/ME2/dir...1C4E3E29133DE4
Old 04-18-2008, 04:06 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Last post. Gotta do some work.

I skimmed the build thread and couldn't find reference to a kit. Rittinger said to email him for a list of plans and prices. That might not be the case anymore. The thread is three years old.

Signing off. Andy
Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Here's a few shots of John's, Guillows Dauntless.
If you build one, I'm sure he'll give advice.

Name:	sbdlaunch4.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	63187   Click image for larger version

Name:	flyby16w.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	63188   Click image for larger version

Name:	turn31w.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	63189  

Last edited by pd1; 04-19-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Slow, But Deadly? Searching For A "Dauntless"

Hello Bob,
There's no electric kits available that I could find. TurnkeyRC had a 31-1/2" span "Short" kit for a while, but apparently they're not producing any kits now;
http://www.turnkeyrc.com/
You might try FLY RC magazine; They had a pull-out plan for a 1/15th scale SBD Dauntless (free) in a past issue (Jan 06), but it doesn't show up on their plans store, just a larger glow version;
http://www.flyrc.com/toc_01-06.shtml
http://www.shop4rc.com/
But, the AMA Plans Service has nine plan sets available, ranging from 20" wingspan to 40" W.S. Scroll to "Douglas SBD Dauntless";
http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/pdfs/d-plans.pdf
Best I could do!
Ron

Last edited by Sky Sharkster; 04-19-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default There IS A Kit!

Well, Bob, it turns out there is a Dauntless kit, in fact it's mentioned on the thread Tom (Grasshopper) linked earlier, page 7, post # 96.
It's Pat Tritle's design, 30" w.s. and he shows the GWS micro retracts on the build thread. Here's a link to Pat's kit offerings;
http://www.patscustom-models.com/shortkit.htm
The SBD is about 1/2 way down the page. This is a "short" kit, so you will need to buy your own strip stock.
Good Luck!
Ron
Old 04-20-2008, 12:44 AM
jofrost
It flew once before...

PD1,

Thanks for posting my Dauntless . It is a Guillows kit. Controls are A/E/T , AUW 11.2 ozs. Do not let the weight fool you , I have flown this plane on days I should not have been flying and she handled like on rails . Its powered with an Esskay 400XT on 1320 2s lipo and an APC 9x7.5 SF prop making her go . Is all stock Guillows wood except the motor mount which is a balsa / ply sandwich .

If you'd like more info send me a PM and I'd be glad to take more photos for you .

The others mentioned such as Pat Tritles Dauntless is a sweet flyer also and there is another similar size offered by Turnkey RC which is a bit heavier and sheeted construction .

-John

Name:	Dauntless_1W.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	63329  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

THat's a beautiful Dauntless John. Very nice weathering and detail. I've looked at the Turnkey kits but their site says they are no longer taking orders.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:04 AM
jofrost
It flew once before...

Tom,

Much thanks for the kind words . She is truly a great flier . I was surprised to see Turnkey RC out of business . I had been eyeballing Rob Casos Halls Bulldog . It truly must be a tough business of selling kits especially with all the ARFs that have taken over . A real shame to see another small kit maker go under ( there are very few left )

On a brighter note I did get to see PD1s Hurricane in person at our little fly in this afternoon . Very nice job . I tried to persaude him to take it up but no dice ...He did mention taking it out tomorrow . Both of you guys did such outstanding jobs on them both. He gave me a copy of the plans a couple months ago and I'll most definately build one , but much lighter which will be flyable at my usual field which is quite a small venue .

-John
Old 04-20-2008, 02:07 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by jofrost View Post
Tom,

Much thanks for the kind words . She is truly a great flier . I was surprised to see Turnkey RC out of business . I had been eyeballing Rob Casos Halls Bulldog . It truly must be a tough business of selling kits especially with all the ARFs that have taken over . A real shame to see another small kit maker go under ( there are very few left )

On a brighter note I did get to see PD1s Hurricane in person at our little fly in this afternoon . Very nice job . I tried to persaude him to take it up but no dice ...He did mention taking it out tomorrow . Both of you guys did such outstanding jobs on them both. He gave me a copy of the plans a couple months ago and I'll most definately build one , but much lighter which will be flyable at my usual field which is quite a small venue .

-John
I was curious why there were no pictures of Paul's Hurricane from the field today. I guess it was a little too windy. Regarding Turnkey, I was seriously considering getting the Typhoon kit but I guess that's out now.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:12 PM
jofrost
It flew once before...

Tom ,

It is a surprise about Turnkey . There was just an article about Mr. Caso in the premier AMA ParkPilot issue which I beleive also referenced Turnkey RC .

Some of the Gus Morfis plans might still be available , but I'm not sure if that was his design or Robs ...

-John
Old 04-23-2008, 02:22 AM
E-Challenged

The Pat Tritle short kit for the Dauntless is designed for small inexpensive and light electric power systems. You can order the short kit on his website, Google "Pat's Custom Models". It's not cheap and you need to buy sticks and covering material and other stuff from your LHS. You can follow the previous detailed build thread on RC Groups Scale Electric Plane forum, use the search engine. These models require some prior building experience but assemble quickly and accurately with the laser cut parts. If built per the plans and covered with light covering materials, the model will be easy to fly in a scale-like manner and will land light on it's feet. Insignia and graphics can be ordered from Callie Graphics in Albequerque, NM. Take a look at Pats line of kits and short kits.
http://www.patscustom-models.com/

Quick Reply: SBD Dauntless

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15711 seconds with 20 queries