Best way to trim ESKY dauphin? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Best way to trim ESKY dauphin?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Shocktherapy

Default Best way to trim ESKY dauphin?

I'm fairly new to all this

i was just wondering what the best way to trim my heli would be

i've flown it a few times and the flight is fairly unstable (tail wobble, uncontrolable yawing, and some pitch corrections are needed)

Any advice?

btw: i believe i've bent the flybar, and the blades are pretty banged up from crashes in small spaces

thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Balr14
WWI Jet Ace

1. Ensure your heli is sitting level on the frame.
2. Center your trim tabs on your transmitter.
3. Ensure your servo arms extend out straight.
4. Adjust the threaded rods that connect your swash plate to the servo arms so the swash plate is level on both planes.
5. Make sure your main gears and center shaft move easily.
6. Straighten your flybar. You can see where it's bent by removing it and rolling it on a smooth surface.
7. Level the upper blades sideways by putting a small level on the flat surface of the blade near the head, or on the blade holder. Clamp it level to hold it in place.
8. If the upper blade is level side-to-side, the flybar should be level down the length of the flybar. If it's not, adjust the link that connects the flybar to the head.
9. The flybar and blades should move very easily.

I would replace the blades with Xtreme blades and the center post with the aluminum capped one. Much more precise and heavy duty.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Shocktherapy

Default good deal

I've done what you said but in order to get everything level i had to trim it on the controller.

where can i get these additional components? (ie blades)

The flybar is pretty much bent to hell so getting it completely strait isn't going to happen.

and the blades are pretty much toast too

so i'm thinking i'll need new blades and flybar before i can even begin to trim in flight

correct?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Balr14
WWI Jet Ace

You should not have to use the transmitter trim tabs if everything is leveled correctly. Well, maybe a few clicks off center is OK. Flybar and blades definitely effect things and get the aluminum center hub:

http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/category_s/37.htm
Old 04-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Shocktherapy

So should i center the trims, take off the servo arm and then put them back on level?

that seems like it would be the best way

trying to fly the heli now produces strong uncontrolable leftward yaw, i'm thinking due to blade damage.

also expieriencing intermitent power failure and loss of control, kinda like the engines are sputtering (interference?) even when i'm very close to the reciever with full battery power and antenna extended.

do i need to unravel the antenna wire that sets on the inside of the body?

last question, i live in st. louis MO USA, any ideas of hobby shops that would sell replacement parts?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Balr14
WWI Jet Ace

Yes, remove the servo arms and put them on level. Take great care in adjusting the rods that connect the servos to the swash plate. The swash plate should move freely. Those rods tend to get misaligned.

You really need a decent set of blades and a straight flybar that moves easily before you can get serious about adjusting how it tracks.

I never get real close with my antenna extended and try not to aim directly at the heli. You should not need to unwrap it.

There are no hobby shops I know of that sell any kind of parts for E-Sky helis. They can't compete on price with online stores. The link I gave you will handle most of your needs. Their prices are good and they ship fast.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Shocktherapy

Default thanks

I'm having some issues with the swashplate now, whenever i pull the elevator back it pitches to the left and slightly back, i've tried to level the swashplate but just can't seem to get it right. As far as the YAW being uncontrolable that has been corrected. All i had to do was adjust the gain on the 4n1 to where both the upper and lower blades began spinning at equal speeds at the same throttle notch, added a tiny bit of trim and it stops yawing.

i can't get it to hover for crap right now, replacement parts are on the way
Old 04-19-2008, 05:18 AM
Balr14
WWI Jet Ace

Swashplate problem sounds like slight binding of the alignment pin. Usually that means the sockets on the rods that attaches the swashplate to the servos need to be turned a few degrees.