Lama V4.... looking for better batteries & Mods - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Lama V4.... looking for better batteries & Mods

Old 10-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Esparrago

Default Lama V4.... looking for better batteries & Mods

Hi,

I own a lama V4 and both of my stock batteries are puffed. Which brand do you guys reciommend to use with the stock charger?

I have also used the CNC central hub from esky which is a lot better than the stock one. Has anyone tried the full CNC aluminum rotor head? I've alseo seen a fiber glass reinforced fuselage from esky.

Regards
Old 10-29-2007, 11:00 PM
pappy60

hi I just ordered a co-co lama from Xheli.com. check out there stuff.Pappy60
Old 10-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Time

Originally Posted by Esparrago View Post
Hi,

I
I have also used the CNC central hub from esky which is a lot better than the stock one. Has anyone tried the full CNC aluminum rotor head?
Regards
I tried the full CNC aluminum package, and was very unhappy. Nice shiny, expensive parts, that now sit somewhere in a bag in my garage. The helicopter flew like crap with those parts. I read at other sites that many people have less than good results, even after trying so called tricks to get them to work. I replaced all of the CNC parts with stock with the exception of the CNC center shaft. My helicopter is back to flying perfectly and hovers hands off. Shiny junk in my experience.

Regarding your batteries, are you sure the batter is 'puffed' and not just the green shrink wrap? I have four E-Sky stock batteries that I have been rotating for about 10 months. If and when they need replacement, I will buy stock E-Sky replacements.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Esparrago

Originally Posted by Time View Post

Regarding your batteries, are you sure the batter is 'puffed' and not just the green shrink wrap? I have four E-Sky stock batteries that I have been rotating for about 10 months. If and when they need replacement, I will buy stock E-Sky replacements.

One of the two cells of the battery has puffed, the flight time has been reduced up to 5 minutes. I have always tried to not over discharge them.

I have seen some battery packs at Helidirect called "Mega Power" with good reviews, also some X-treme blades, x-treme ball bearing motors and so.

This Heli has been flown for hours, Could this also be reducing the flight time due to the wear of the motors?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Time

You may have read my posts on batteries, and how I did not believe Li-Pos are not so dangerous as some people make them out to be. Properly handled they are as safe and any other battery. I have to laugh at some 'experienced' people. Anyway, that said, if your battery is definitely swollen, and it is not just the green shrink wrap, I would discontinue using it.

I cannot recommend any other batteries, and I have onlt E-sky stock batteries. Perhaps someone with the "Mega Power" batteries will comment.

If you are breaking stock blades, I would recommend the xtreme blades. Almost unbreakable. The CNC aluminum center shaft is great for stopping stabilizer (flybar) seperation in crashes. As mentioned, I was not happy with any of the other CNC parts I tried.

As for motors, I only use the stock one.s Cannot justify the price of the so called upgrades. Stock are cheap and do last a long time. A couple or more can be purchased for the price of one upgrade motor. In my experience the stock motors don't usually slow down due to wear. Well they do, but it is almost immediate, very noticeable, and noisy. I cannot remember the last time I replaced a motor, but initally I burnt out several. Once I realized the I was not allowing them to cool between several battery flights, they now seem to last forever. Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Esparrago

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 AM
alrjventer

Originally Posted by Time View Post
I tried the full CNC aluminum package, and was very unhappy. Nice shiny, expensive parts, that now sit somewhere in a bag in my garage. The helicopter flew like crap with those parts. I read at other sites that many people have less than good results, even after trying so called tricks to get them to work. I replaced all of the CNC parts with stock with the exception of the CNC center shaft. My helicopter is back to flying perfectly and hovers hands off. Shiny junk in my experience.

I have a lama V4 with all the upgrades,everything.The CNC pakage is junk.I took that off and replaced it with the extreme lower head,swashplate,metal gripset.The lama flys perfect.I found the servos where not good enough so i replace that with 3kg of torque servos with longer servo arms and im flyn outside in the wind.it anyone struggles ask me cos ive rebuilt the heli over and over to upgrade parts and knows all the tricks by now.Stay away from CnC parts. they arent stable and strong.Go for exteme.Youll save lots of money.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:40 PM
djetlag

Default boom kit

hey,
have you seen the boom kit that boomtownhobbies has for the lama V4 ?
wonder if its a good thing. anyway it looks nice.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:42 AM
alrjventer

Well ive done all that with mine plus put the bigger servos on with longer arms.Much better