"Warbird"??? L4H Conversion... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

"Warbird"??? L4H Conversion...

Old 01-12-2007, 04:35 PM
tz250w

Default "Warbird"??? L4H Conversion...

Since pile driving my son's Cub into the deck I have been working on an old "Union" (foam) Cessna a friend gave me. My son's replacement ARF airframe arrived today so his will be back in the air but this is what I have so far...

I didn't take any "before" pictures as I didn't intend to put this much effort into it, but idle hands... Anyhow, suffice to say the old Union Cessna was "weathered" a bit. Lot's of dings and scrapes, a solid wing and tail surfaces and the best part, cut outs for ailerons. I scrubbed most of the dust and grime off the fuselage, painted it with Tamiya acrylic blue and a coat of "Future" acrylic floor finish to firm it up. Tonight I made stickers out of (very) thin professional color sheet (for signs) and stuck them on. I still have to work on the wing.

I know the scale is out of whack but with the stickers I'm happy... Here's a picture of the idea, and what I have so far.

I am going to paint the anti-glare black on top of the cowling (the Cub engine sticker is salvaged off my son's wreck and held on with tape for the picture).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2006-06-03_462_La_Ferte-Alais_Piper_Cub_PS_size.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	21745   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03750.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	21746  
Old 01-13-2007, 03:36 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Looks like a cub-sair. I love that scheme, even on a cub/cessna. Should look pretty good with the wing on it.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:17 AM
tz250w

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
Looks like a cub-sair.
Thanks! :o

That's kinda the idea... I was going to jump right into a Corsair but my buddy talked me out of it. He gave me the old Cessna so I could get some aileron practice first but I just couldn't get that F4U out of my mind and then I came across that picture on the net... Hah!

Just finished painting the wing and anti-glare on the top of the cowling. Now if the damned paint would just hurry up and dry!!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:39 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tz250w View Post
Thanks! :o

That's kinda the idea... I was going to jump right into a Corsair but my buddy talked me out of it. He gave me the old Cessna so I could get some aileron practice first but I just couldn't get that F4U out of my mind and then I came across that picture on the net... Hah!

Just finished painting the wing and anti-glare on the top of the cowling. Now if the damned paint would just hurry up and dry!!!!
Should be a fun flier. And painting can be fun. When you are ready for the corsair, get a GWS like mine. It was only $26 bucks and a nice flier when finished.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 AM
tz250w

I probably will go with a GWS F4U and upgrade to brushless and lipo at the same time. This should tide me over till then and I learned a few things about painting styro. One, I need a bigger airbrush!

Got the stickers on the wing a few minutes ago after finishing transfering the electronics from my son's crashed cub over to the replacement ARF frame. I still have to attach the ailerons, make a battery box cover (was missing), mount servos, receiver and amp but at least the eye candy part is finished for now.

Name:	DSC03751.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	21816  
Old 01-13-2007, 11:53 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Looks great. I wish I had your sticker ability. That's always the hardest part for me (that i, getting a decent set of stars and bars and whatnot).
Old 03-12-2007, 12:00 PM
tz250w

The day following my post above we went to fly my son's cub, then went downtown (Hiroshima) and got rear ended at a stop light. The dude never even hit his brakes. Long story short, I've been in a neck collar with whiplash up until a couple weeks ago. Luckily my kids were okay!

The "L4H Conversion" finally got its electrics and ailerons attached this past weekend and I maidened it this evening, between wind gusts... Handles fine, plenty of speed compared to the Kyosho Cub and soooo much more responsive having ailerons. Here's what it looks like just before the maiden (looks the same now, no mishaps).

Back to the "gottaflyitis" mode. Now if I can find a field closer to the house so I can get flights in between wind spells...

Name:	l4h01.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	26045   Click image for larger version

Name:	l4h02.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	26046   Click image for larger version

Name:	l4h03.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	26047  
Old 03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
K CLOSE
Huge Member

tz250w-
Glad to hear noone was badly hurt in the car accident. Beautiful job on the L4H as well, I love flying with my boys.
FWIW- The GWS F4U is argueably the best "out of the box" GWS warbird. I would only point out that before you go brushless on that bird, fly it as a 350 b drive w/e-flight 9x7 for a bit. The bits are cheap, so no big waste of cash there and it will fly slower, but for some reason the gullwing seems to work against you visually. I find the Corsair is kinda hard to track in the air, and speed can agravate the matter-at least it has for me. I know there are plenty of guys out there with so much skill that this doesn't even "blip on their radar". But I have not been flying for long ( only a few years ) and I clearly remember my first low-wing warbird solo. A GWS F4U that I got confused on which-what-where, and mistook bottom for top and punched in. Not trying to discourage your choices, I fly my F2G Super at about a buck now, just a heads up I wish I had gotten. The GWS ME109's are easier to track somehow.
Cheers
Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Twizter68
I can't see my plane.....

tz250w- nice job on the L4H! Glad to hear the kids are okay, let me guess; he had the green and yellow "Not my fault" placard in the window, did'nt he? If not, didja get any Gomen?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:19 PM
tz250w

K CLOSE, thanks for the comments and advice! I probably should have read your post before I went out and spent some dosh today... I'll be making a new post in the forum about my purchase...

Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
tz250w- nice job on the L4H! Glad to hear the kids are okay, let me guess; he had the green and yellow "Not my fault" placard in the window, did'nt he? If not, didja get any Gomen?
No, just a "Sunday driver"... He was daydreaming (had a young child in his car as well, not injured fortunately). He was gutted but the "gomen money" is a thing of the past. They've really gotten strict on how accidents are handled here now and the insurance companies (read "pricks") handle it all...

It was 10-0 his fault so I will be "compensated" for time off work plus 4,500 yen for each visit to the clinic (I make it a point to go every day...). They've already paid for the car (totaled).
Old 03-15-2007, 02:57 PM
tz250w

While the "L4H" is my current toy / training tool and first attempt at a (cough) "Warbird" (Well, screw the "cough" part. It was a Warbird! ). I got something else to work with until I find the right combination for a Corsair...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...605#post167605
Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 PM
tz250w

3 more flights this evening in light wind. This aileron stuff is great and the little "L4H" will roll at will, until it runs out of oomph... With the 8.4V Kyosho battery I can only get about 4 minutes before it starts to drop off having to keep it at or near full throttle to stay stable. It is pretty fast though, compared to the Cub at least.

Take offs and landings are smooth and easy, and even though it's a high wing it feels like the CG is fairly high in the fuse letting it roll quickly. It doesn't self righten like I expected.