CellPro 4s problems - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

CellPro 4s problems

Old 08-10-2010, 05:32 AM
js99nielsen

Default CellPro 4s problems

Just getting back into flying after being out for a couple years and pulled out my CellPro to charge a new battery and it is only reading 2 cells of the 3 cells on my battery. I tested the pigtail that connects into the charger and I am getting above 3 volts on all three cells so I think it must be an internal charger problem. I loved this charger and paid alot for it (now that I see what new ones are going for). The charger was safely stored and never abused. Anything I can do to get me flying again? Thanks, Jeremy
Old 08-10-2010, 02:06 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Did you try just un-pluggging and plugging the dongle (offical name of the pigtail) into the cellpro? sounds like there is just a loose connection somewhere.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:52 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Are those "couple years old" lipos too. I'd expect those to be crapped out, not the Cellpro.
Did you check them this way?

Measure 1&2, 2&3, 3&4 wires at the balance tap. That will give each individual cell.
DO NOT TOUCH THE PROBES TOGETHER - SHORT! BAD!!!
You should get individual cells above 3.0v.

If possible try it with a known good lipo.
If that checks out then I'd check with FMA about repair maybe, or it could be the dongle as Crash suggests.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM
js99nielsen

I tried uplugging and replugging the dongle several times. The battery is brand new...just bought yesterday. I tested the the voltage of the cells antthe end of the battery dongle and then at the end of the adaptor dongle (battery dongle was different that what would plug into the charger) and got 3.06, 3.09 & 3.15 in both places which is what lead me to believe it was a charger issue.
Also, the charger keeps saying "ready to charge" it never moves into the charger mode (probably because it is waiting for that 3rd cell).
I guess I could buy another battery to try but again, I'm getting all 3 cell voltages at the end of the dongle.
Anything thing else you guys can think of? I appreciate the help.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

what brand battery is it? it dosn't sound like your battery is to blame, although a bran new battery should read ~3.85 volts per cell, not 3.08 so that alone is concerning.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 PM
js99nielsen

SupreTigre 1500 mah 11.1v battery from Hobbytown it was all they had in stock.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 PM
js99nielsen

SupreTigre 1500 mah 11.1v battery from Hobbytown it was all they had in stock when I bought it yesterday. It is interesting though that when I scroll the cellpro to the screen that shows the individual cell voltages the 2 that it is showing say 0.06v and the other 0.08v. Seems like it should show what my multi meter says 3.06 and 3.08 shouldn't it?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:57 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

do you have an old pack to compare balance taps with? To make sure that the balance wires are in the same order as a pack that was known to work?

Some DN power batteries LOOK like they are compatable with the CP-GP/KO CP4 adapter, but the wires are +--- instead of -+++ on the balance tap which messes with the Cellpro charger.

When holding the CP pigtale with the wires to the charger going up. the left most wire of the balance tap should be negative.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Could the ground wire be on the wrong side of the "dongle" connector? In other words, could polarity be the problem?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 AM
js99nielsen

So here is my connections...I have the FMA factory Polyquest/Thunderpower adaptor plugged into the charger and then I have a DN Power to Thunderpower dongle plugged into the adaptor (as I used to fly all Thunderpower and DN Power) and then the battery plugged into that. I bought the ThunderTigre battery because it plugged into the DN Power dongle so I assumed (yea yea I know about assuming) all was good.

However isn't the negative lead always the odd color? So on the DN Power to Thunderpower adaptor I have 3 reds and 1 black with the black on the far left (lining up with the negative on the PQ/TP adaptor). But the battery has 3 black and a red however the red is on the far left and lines up with the only black on the dongle. So if the odd color (whether red or black) is the negative then everything lines up correctly. Or is that wrong of me to assume that the 1 of 4 wires that is the odd color is the negative?

I don't have another battery to test...maybe the next step is buying a thunderpower or dn power battery as I know they worked prior.

I just got home from work and it is almost midnight so sorry if the above is confusing...I'm tired.
I do sincerely appreciate your guys' input.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Red is always positive in America. (Red is negative in Europe) it is wrong to assume that the odd color is negative.

You can test this if you have a digital multimeter that does positive and negative voltage.
Put the black probe to the red wire and the red probe on the first black wire of the battery. If it's + voltage then the red would be negative. if it's - voltage (eg -3.08) then the red wire is positive.

so you have +--- instead of -+++ which is what is causing your problem.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:26 PM
js99nielsen

Problem solved! Thank you. So the leads were reversed. Basically the battery charge connector was assembled backwards from the dongle & adaptor & charger (or vise versa depending how you look at it).
In case anyone else comes across this same problem.....what I did was disassemble the battery charge connector and reassemble in reverse. I moved the far left wire to the far right, the far right wire to the far left and then also swapped the middle 2 wires.
Thanks again you guys for your help and sticking with me on this problem...hopefully you got some enjoyment out of the problem solving aspect of it.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Sweet! Glad it worked out.

Funny how the solution is always the last thing you try, and it's usually the most simple solution...
Old 08-12-2010, 01:58 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Why would you keep trying things after you found the solution
Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Exactly!