Sweet! New E-Flite Hawker Sea Fury - Retracts Included - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Sweet! New E-Flite Hawker Sea Fury - Retracts Included

Old 02-25-2009, 02:46 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

That Dionysus one is pretty pricey compared to the Hyperion dual servo rate reducer.

I've got a couple of their single-servo rate reducers as they're a lot more compact little suckers than the Hyperion one if all you need is to slow down a single servo. Looks like they've had some sort of firmware update to increase their operation smoothness, so I'll have to send mine in. Thanks for helping me stumble across that info!

Good luck on the build tonight, Rider!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:56 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
That Dionysus one is pretty pricey compared to the Hyperion dual servo rate reducer.

I've got a couple of their single-servo rate reducers as they're a lot more compact little suckers than the Hyperion one if all you need is to slow down a single servo. Looks like they've had some sort of firmware update to increase their operation smoothness, so I'll have to send mine in. Thanks for helping me stumble across that info!

Good luck on the build tonight, Rider!
Hey Dave, is the Hyperion one a true dual-servo rate reducer? Or is it a single reducer with a built-in Y? I can see that it has two channels going out, but can't tell if it has two channels going in. I do like the price if it's a dual servo system.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:17 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Yep, two channels going in. They're just hard to make out from the product photos on most websites. Here's a shot from in my kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0426.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	94807  
Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Yep, two channels going in. They're just hard to make out from the product photos on most websites. Here's a shot from in my kitchen.
Very nice! Amazing that they don't bother to mention that in the item description
Old 02-25-2009, 07:03 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Very nice! Amazing that they don't bother to mention that in the item description
Amazing... One wonders if that is so you'll order two, but they missed out because I ordered the Dionysus lol
Old 02-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I flew the Sea Fury this morning with the FSK/Manzano blades. Very nice! Is it as fast as the stock 10x8? No. Is it fast? Oh yes, it is still much better than scale with the BP/Suppo 2814! Vertical is still unlimited, and the prop makes a lot of noise at anything over half throttle. On the down side, landings are a little trickier. You HAVE to keep some throttle open and fly it onto the ground, otherwise the prop slows it down too much. I ended up stalling about a foot off the ground when I chopped throttle too soon, and it dropped hard onto the pavement Lost a wheel collar in the process so couldn't make another try. Maybe I'll try again this afternoon. There is also more prop effect when flying slow, so you have to steer it more. With the 2 bladed prop the plane tracks a lot straighter at slow speed.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Hounder

Default E-Flight Sea Fury

Hi guys: I too have one of these little gems. I would suggest a compromise between the Sport Brushless Outrunner Setup and High Power Brushless Setup. I flew with the later that requires a Park 480 motor, 1020Kv 40 A Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC, retracts, an E-flight 3S 2100 mAh Li-Po and six servos. Iíll cover flying a little later but to save weight, the Sea Fury can be assembled without the retracts and a rudder there by eliminating three servos and the need for the 40 amp ESC.

I found the instructions straight forward but there were a couple of typos where the pictures were in sequence but not numbered correctly. I would suggest adding more double sided tape when attaching the wing cover on the bottom of the wing. Mine didnít quite stick and I ended up tack glueing it to make it stay put. When installing the motor it wasnít quite clear that you will need to pull the cowl off first and complete the installation. Also, if you use the larger ESC, you will need to enlarge the opening in the firewall.

Flying the plane is where the fun began and a bit more research. The first flight resulted in a take off role of less than five feet on short grass. The Sea Fury required zero adjustments on the trims. I flew with the high rates and it does nice loops and rolls. It looks super cool with the gear tucking up on a plane of this size and coming down for landing. That last part is a challenge. It requires a proper use of the elevator on the flare not to get the plane to nose over as I found out on my fifth flight. The Sea Fury can also be hand launched and belly landed. If you are going to hand launch it, leave the rockets off as they will pull out on landing.

Although the plane flew great, I thought it could use a bit more speed and tried a couple of tests. First, I substituted the recommended E-flight battery with a Thunder Power 3S 11.1 V 2200mAh 25 C eXtreme V2 Li-Po and noticed a bump in power and longer flight times. Then I swapped out the 10 by 8 prop that came with the plane with an APC 10 by 10 and saw another significant jump in power. The 40 amp ESC can easily handle this. The plane will fly in an area about the size of a soccer field and since itís so small makes it a great plane to take along in the car and fly at lunch. Here's a video I made the other day. I took this video by taping the camera to the bill of my hat.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0PkePkdc8c[/media]
Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Having trouble programming the retracts - just got in from the garage and one of those "2 hours trying to figure it out and gave up" sessions.

For some reason the mixed FLAP servo does not want to travel the same distance as the GEAR servo to start with without maxing out the travel adjustments - and even then it doesn't travel far enough. I think I've inhibited the flap functionality that makes the channel 'different', but I am not sure. What could I be missing?

So what I have is U 150% travel on the FLAP channel (Down adjustment doesn't seem to affect it at all) and in sub trim it is at about D 65 -- it seems to lock on the bench test but when I take it out to taxi, it folds. Or if I tighten it up in the down position, it hangs out of its bay.

I'm a patient person - but this is wearing me out.

If any of you programming gurus could please chime in with some ideas, I would appreciate it.

PS - and the Dionysus servo rate reducer is twitchier than Michael J. Fox after too many Red Bulls, but it doesn't seem to affect the amp draw so I don't mind so much - I am using a ParkBEC, which was fun. And btw soemthing - whoever decided to place the ESC in the cowling and require you to have ~8" of battery lead into the fuse is an aydgit.

P.S.S - TFM is right in front of me :P

Josh
Old 04-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Having trouble programming the retracts - just got in from the garage and one of those "2 hours trying to figure it out and gave up" sessions.

For some reason the mixed FLAP servo does not want to travel the same distance as the GEAR servo to start with without maxing out the travel adjustments - and even then it doesn't travel far enough. I think I've inhibited the flap functionality that makes the channel 'different', but I am not sure. What could I be missing?

So what I have is U 150% travel on the FLAP channel (Down adjustment doesn't seem to affect it at all) and in sub trim it is at about D 65 -- it seems to lock on the bench test but when I take it out to taxi, it folds. Or if I tighten it up in the down position, it hangs out of its bay.

I'm a patient person - but this is wearing me out.

If any of you programming gurus could please chime in with some ideas, I would appreciate it.

PS - and the Dionysus servo rate reducer is twitchier than Michael J. Fox after too many Red Bulls, but it doesn't seem to affect the amp draw so I don't mind so much - I am using a ParkBEC, which was fun. And btw soemthing - whoever decided to place the ESC in the cowling and require you to have ~8" of battery lead into the fuse is an aydgit.

P.S.S - TFM is right in front of me :P

Josh
That does not sound right. Maybe you should hit the re-set button and start over. Seriously.

But before you do that, check to see that your mix is at 100%. If you are using a pre-set mix adjustment, ditch it for a custom mix and see if that helps. Also try it without the rate reducer. If nothing else works, then you may have either a bad servo or a bad Rx.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been having problems with mine too that appear to be either related to the Rx or the servo rate reducer. I've got a Turnigy rate reducer coming from HobbyCity, so maybe that will help.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 AM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

I ordered the Sea Fury 400 yesterday along with the equipment to get it in the air. Actually the DX6i was ordered 6 weeks ago and evidently some problems in production have held it up...ie recalls i think. still it may arrive about the same time as all of the other pieces.
I stumbled into this thread in the mean time and whooaa... alot of great information (as usual) Still quite new to electrics so I may have some questions but the one that seems to be up front is retracts and extension/y harnesses. If anyone sees something way out of whack here I would appreciate a heads up. Would like to iron out at least most of the issues before my RTM (thats "ready to modify") shows up at the front door. Thanks again for all of the input here.
Learning curve nigh on unlimited vertical !!!

Capn Chaos

E-flite 40-Amp Pro Switch Mode Bec Brushless Esc
Cellpro Revolectrix Lipo Battery Pack
3-cell, 2200mAh capacity
Alpha 480 1020kv outrunner
Spectrum DX6i transmitter and AR 6100e microlite receiver
Old 04-22-2009, 06:21 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by capn chaos View Post
I ordered the Sea Fury 400 yesterday along with the equipment to get it in the air. Actually the DX6i was ordered 6 weeks ago and evidently some problems in production have held it up...ie recalls i think. still it may arrive about the same time as all of the other pieces.
I stumbled into this thread in the mean time and whooaa... alot of great information (as usual) Still quite new to electrics so I may have some questions but the one that seems to be up front is retracts and extension/y harnesses. If anyone sees something way out of whack here I would appreciate a heads up. Would like to iron out at least most of the issues before my RTM (thats "ready to modify") shows up at the front door. Thanks again for all of the input here.
Learning curve nigh on unlimited vertical !!!

Capn Chaos

E-flite 40-Amp Pro Switch Mode Bec Brushless Esc
Cellpro Revolectrix Lipo Battery Pack
3-cell, 2200mAh capacity
Alpha 480 1020kv outrunner
Spectrum DX6i transmitter and AR 6100e microlite receiver
Forget about using a Y for the retracts. Use a standard Y for the ailerons, but the reversing Y for the retracts is unnecessary as long as you have an extra channel on the Rx for it. You will need extensions though. How long depends on how long the servo wires are.

Good luck putting it together. You are going to love flying this plane!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 PM
NCC1700

I agree about not using a Y harness on the retracts.

It is a bit of a pain to set them up initially because they will need some adjustment to get the travel right on both of them. I find that I need to adjust the travel on the gear servos on a somewhat regular basis. Don't let this scare you though-the retracts work really well and you will have a blast with them.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Greylids and Flytime,
Thanks...I could have spent another two weeks going back and forth and wasting valuable "flytime". After all of the positive feed back I'm really looking forward to getting this one in the air...will keep you posted and of course the requisite pictures if possible.

I quess my power options at least were acceptible..no negatoids on that one.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:43 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
That does not sound right. Maybe you should hit the re-set button and start over. Seriously.

But before you do that, check to see that your mix is at 100%. If you are using a pre-set mix adjustment, ditch it for a custom mix and see if that helps. Also try it without the rate reducer. If nothing else works, then you may have either a bad servo or a bad Rx.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been having problems with mine too that appear to be either related to the Rx or the servo rate reducer. I've got a Turnigy rate reducer coming from HobbyCity, so maybe that will help.

Well, after quite a stretch, I put the Sea Fury back on the bench and worked out the kinks (I used two TowerPro Digital MG servos I had left over from aonther project and extended the servo arms, aside from constantly having to adjust the servo travel to minimize buzzing/stall conditions, they are working well. I don't have the rate reducer in the mix as I filed it under M for random and it is currently MIA. I ended up using the 2814-08 Suppo as recommended by Mr. PerlAddict (as I recall, my memory is bad so forgive me) with what seems to be my go-to prop: the 9.5x7.5 stock prop for the PZ Corsair and the Trojan. Dunno what it is - just a good mix of speed and thrust that makes it work for me on many different planes - though I reckon an APCe 10x7 would do the trick too.

Anyways - to quote Max from the VW commercials "MAN! ZEES BABY HAULS!"

Its a great little plane - the elevator is sensitive, so I had to adjust my high rates for that, but I've flown 3 packs through it so far and it is a hoot. Dunno why I mothballed it as long as I did, but I am glad I got back to it. It lands hot, which is okay because I have been working on power-on landings lately and know not to panic. I have the Manzano 5-blade hub in a bag hanging above my workbench along with the Flying Styro blades... Might try to put that together this weekend.

Anyways, just chiming in to add my voice to the chorus of fans of this plane. I was concerned as Dick (Capt Easy) had so many issues with his P-47 of the same series... but its nice to know my worries were somewhat misplaced.Now, off to airliners.net to find a picture of a scheme I like so I can paint this bird up to my liking!

Cheers,
GRU