DX6i Unbind Flight test. Help needed to verify - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX6i Unbind Flight test. Help needed to verify

Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

Default DX6i Unbind Flight test. Help needed to verify

Does anyone have a DX6i that would try something for me on a GROUNDED plane?
I may have found a real issue that can allow you to fly AND UNBIND mid flight. This may be what happened to me and the WAA SQuiRT.

If yo do have one, Pease try this.
Turn the Plane (or receivers hooked up) ON.
Pull the trainer switch, hold it and turn the tx on.
Wiggle the sticks and see if you have control until the "not found" beep from the TX.

Post back here, please. It'll be a serious issue if what I think happens does in fact happen.

Greg S
Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 PM
adhoc
(inactive)

Originally Posted by KingCrash View Post
I may have found a real issue that can allow you to fly AND UNBIND mid flight. This may be what happened to me and the WAA SQuiRT.

If yo do have one, Pease try this.
Turn the Plane (or receivers hooked up) ON.
Pull the trainer switch, hold it and turn the tx on.
Wiggle the sticks and see if you have control until the "not found" beep from the TX.
I'll be happy to try it tonight when I get home...

But, unless I'm missing something here, I would think of course, if you hold the trainer switch while switching on the radio to initiate the binding process, you may very well lose any existing bindings. I have to ask -- why would you do this while the plane is in flight? If your plane is already in flight, why would you turn off the radio at all?!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

The situation was this.
3 pilots, unfamiliar with the TX were all going to fly the same plane one circuit around the field. I think I may have inadvertently hit the trainer switch when I powered up the TX (in a wheelchair, so I lap hold)
We got one circuit of the field and 3/4 of the next circuit. There was a BEEP and completely dead sticks.

If I initiated the bind sequence and the TX decided "Nothing was there" and cleared its memory, that means you can bump the Trainer switch when you turn on your tx, get your plane in the air and hopelessly lose it because the TX doesn't see an rx to bind to.

Greg S
Old 06-17-2008, 01:17 AM
griffin

Hi Greg,
I'm glad you are working so hard to trouble shoot this.

But I'm confused reading your first post because of the typos.

Are you saying to hook up the flight battery first and then turn on the transmitter with the trainer switch pulled?

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Can I try this on my heli? I dont mind if that will work.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 AM
griffin

Originally Posted by SkunkyMagoo View Post
Can I try this on my heli? I dont mind if that will work.
I feel like I'm in a foreign country. What the heck are you trying to say?

-Steve
Old 06-17-2008, 01:24 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

lol...

I have a dx6i, ar6100, and a HELICOPTER.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Well I just tried, I had NO CONTROL at any point when I held the trainer switch and powered the tx. It just beeped and said BIND.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

Sorry about the typos.
Yes,
Power up the receiver with servos connected, then power up the Transmitter holding the trainer switch and see if you have control of any servos while the transmitter is trying to bind.

Greg S
Old 06-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

Originally Posted by SkunkyMagoo View Post
Well I just tried, I had NO CONTROL at any point when I held the trainer switch and powered the tx. It just beeped and said BIND.
Thanks for trying that out for me. I thought I might have found a reason for what happened with the WAA plane.

Greg S
Old 06-17-2008, 01:50 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Just to clarify I did it right. Power up the model first THEN while holding trainer power up the tx. I usually power up the tx first, but just making sure I did it right. I still think it may have been a V1 6100 and the old firmware had lockout problems.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:53 AM
griffin

Sorry about the typos.
Yes,
Power up the receiver with servos connected, then power up the Transmitter holding the trainer switch and see if you have control of any servos while the transmitter is trying to bind.

Greg S

But you're not supposed to power up the plane first, and I assume you didn't do it that way with the SQuiRT.

I wonder what happens if you power up the transmitter first with the transmitter trainer switch accidently on, and then connect the flight battery?

-Steve
Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

Yes, That's right, Marc. Those are the steps I wanted taken.
Well....Back to the drawing board, I guess....

I thought the DX6i came with the AR6200 anyway. Why would someone swap it out for the AR6100?

Guess I may never figure this one out.

Thank you guys for helping me out with this.

Greg S
Old 06-17-2008, 01:58 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Yes it does include a 6200. I dont remember back then who donated the DX6i? They may have swapped it out for the micro 6100.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:01 AM
marchino61

The situation was this.
3 pilots, unfamiliar with the TX were all going to fly the same plane one circuit around the field. I think I may have inadvertently hit the trainer switch when I powered up the TX (in a wheelchair, so I lap hold)
We got one circuit of the field and 3/4 of the next circuit. There was a BEEP and completely dead sticks.

If I initiated the bind sequence and the TX decided "Nothing was there" and cleared its memory, that means you can bump the Trainer switch when you turn on your tx, get your plane in the air and hopelessly lose it because the TX doesn't see an rx to bind to.

Greg S
I have a DX6i but I am totally confused by this thread. How can you get the plane in the air if you have hit the trainer switch and unbound the RX? Model Match won't let you do it.

Last edited by marchino61; 06-17-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

Steve,
We did power up the Transmitter then the plane. Sequence shouldn't matter on a Spektrum system anyway. I was thinking I may have bumped the transmitter during hand off. The transmitter battery on the left side didn't feel quite "snug" so I was thinking it may have come lose enough to briefly lose contact. In effect, I'd have the plane on with the transmitter off.

That's why I asked for the "reversed" sequence

Greg S
Old 06-17-2008, 02:30 AM
swimmer

While talking about the DX6i... I just converted my Super Cub to 2.4GHz and following binding if I shut off my TX before unplugging the battery the motor will run on its own. During binding the throttle was completely in the down position. Any ideas?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:46 AM
constantCrash
prefectionist

No idea what happend in your case., deleted my stupid post.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:47 AM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

Originally Posted by marchino61 View Post
I have a DX6i but I am totally confused by this thread. How can you get the plane in the air if you have hit the trainer switch and unbound the RX? Model Match won't let you do it.
No it shouldn't let you do it. I am just pursuing every angle for an experience I had with the WAA plane. I'm not used to 2.4 and thought I may have done something to cause the flyaway without realizing it. As I read through the manual for the millionth time it struck me that maybe the transmitter had been placed in Bind mode by an accidental push of the trainer switch coupled with a loose battery in the tx. Since the RX and TX were already talking to each other I was not sure what would happen.

That's why I'm asking for what seems to be a silly test. If the test showed that once a link was established and the transmitter were somehow (loose battery and bump) put in bind mode that you had control of your plane until the transmitter quit trying to bind, It would be an issue.

Hope that's clear enough to follow.

Greg S
Old 06-17-2008, 03:08 AM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

I'm not sure on the Receiver end, but if you happen to power up the transmitter with the trainer switch partially pushed in, it will rapidly flip in and out of "Bind" and look "normal" as soon as you fully release the trainer switch.

Also, does anyone know why the trainer switch would cause the transmitter to beep when one model is selected and not beep if a different model is selected?

As an example. On the transmitter I have, model 1 - 10 is the WAA Squirt.
If I select Model 1 and play with the trainer switch, nothing happens. However, if I select models 2 - 10 and mess with the trainer switch, the transmitter beeps at me. I cannot find anything in the manual to explain this.

Greg S
Old 06-17-2008, 03:21 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

I'm not sure on the Receiver end, but if you happen to power up the transmitter with the trainer switch partially pushed in, it will rapidly flip in and out of "Bind" and look "normal" as soon as you fully release the trainer switch.

Also, does anyone know why the trainer switch would cause the transmitter to beep when one model is selected and not beep if a different model is selected?

As an example. On the transmitter I have, model 1 - 10 is the WAA Squirt.
If I select Model 1 and play with the trainer switch, nothing happens. However, if I select models 2 - 10 and mess with the trainer switch, the transmitter beeps at me. I cannot find anything in the manual to explain this.

Greg S
Greg,

Pardon me if I am off track here, but......

This sounds strikingly familiar to the problem Lt Loughead had with his DX7. That radio apparently had a faulty bind switch on the TX, and while he was flying, would activate the switch. This would instantly drop the range of the radio (as if you are doing a range-check). Is it possible you had accidentally depressed the switch, and the plane went into failsafe? Again, not sure if I am off base here, just thinking "out loud".

Also, are there planes stored in memory slots 2-10? Perhaps that is why it beeps, if you are trying to do something, and the TX is telling you "Can't do that, ain't no plane stored in this memory slot".
Old 06-17-2008, 03:24 AM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

Hey, No...Think away. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this and want to be sure nobody else using the WAA equipment has the same failure.

Models 2-10 are named WAA SQRT, so I assume there's at least defaults stored in those slots.

Greg S
Old 06-17-2008, 03:28 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

OK scratch that part then.....

Also, I thought if the RX went in FailSafe, the throttle went to zero. At least, I think that is how mine are all set. R/E/A go to neutral, throttle to zero.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:42 AM
Kingcrash
Good Winds and RIP

It was confirmed by the person that programmed this DX6i that failsafe was set to off throttle.
The plane went FULL throttle when control was lost. That's why I was interested in the "Bind" test. My theory was that the transmitter was not sending good packets. This caused the receiver to hold "last known Good" positions which was my crosswind turn onto final. I was then thinking that for some reason the transmitter unbound from the receiver. (following me so far)
Think about a turn into final on a breezy day. If you tilt that 90 degrees, rather than looping in and flattening out, it becomes nose up slow turn...

I'm not blaming the equipment here. I know less about this 2.4 stuff than my goldfish does. Many pilots of WAA are in the same boat and I want to make sure that hitting "switch a" or "button b" while doing something else doesn't cause another fly-away or worse.

Greg S
Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 AM
marchino61

Default Simlar Experience

This sounds a really similar experience to what happened to me.

In my case, I am fairly sure that I hit the roller and changed the model during flight and this caused the lockout.
Thread here:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35481

In the case of the DX6i, the failsafe is to maintain the last selected control surface position and throttle back the motor to zero (despite all what it says about setting failsafe settings during binding).

You can check what I say by giving maximum throws and a small amount of motor on the ground and then switching off the TX. Control surfaces will stay where they were put.

Quick Reply: DX6i Unbind Flight test. Help needed to verify

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10441 seconds with 12 queries