The Economy and Your RC Hobby - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

The Economy and Your RC Hobby

Old 06-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Cougdave

Going to have to pinch pennies here too. I prefer to build from scratch, so that's what I will be doing. Sticking to smaller planes helps too. The big cost for me is gas for the minivan to drive to the flying fields, and towing the boat to the lake I fly off of. I will be curtailing these expenses by flying closer to home, flying less and driving the munchkin car. (Smaller planes again...) I won't be traveling to any events this summer. I probably won't leave the county until Fall when I close up my Mother"s cabin. (Unless work sends me somewhere on their dime) All part of the joys of being a tech guy in Michigan... I cancelled my vacation time this year so that will save me some money while also earning me more money. (Cathie has the habit of making a simple vacation turn mighty expensive.)

Dave

Last edited by Cougdave; 06-07-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Great posts fellas. It looks like I am not the only one. Very interesting reading indeed to see how life's financial responsibilities encroach on our hobby and what we do to allow us to continue in our hobby.

+ Warning: Off-topic comment ahead +

Dave, Keep and eye on this thread. WF is hopefully going to start a Scratchbuilding contest that might be right up your alley.

Frank
Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

My family (wife and three kids) has decided to stop eating out as much as we used to... We used to eat out almost every day -- we've cut that back to two or three times per week...

My wife and I have also cut back on Rocket Brother's coffee (a local Starbuck's competitor, that beats the pants off of Starbuck's)... It's just too difficult to justify a $5 frozen coffee, when that same $5 will buy me a gallon of gasoline...

I've also cut back on my DVD purchases -- though, it's very difficult to resist when so many DVD movies are $5.99 these days. Along the same lines, we've TRIED to cut back on going to the movies -- but there are SO many good movies released lately (Iron Man, Indiana Jones (okay, it wasn't that good, but I had to see it))...

Finally, I've cut back on driving... I live 4 miles from the office, so there's not a whole lot I can do to cut back -- I need to start eating lunch at the office (I normally drive home for lunch)... That would cut my gasoline bill in half... I'm looking at buying an ELECTRIC motorcycle -- but I'm finding difficulty in locating an insurance company which will insure an electric motorcycle (most insurance companies don't know how to classify an electric motorcycle)...

Cutting back on driving also means no summer vacation plans... Normally we go somewhere cool for summer vacation (last year, it was Cancun -- the year before that was Disney World) -- not this year! ...and probably not next year as well! :o

That being said, I'm still buying all kinds of RC related stuff... Much of what I purchase is for resale anyway...
Old 06-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Elfi Flyer
Elfi's, beauty in flight.

>"Very interesting reading indeed to see how life's financial responsibilities encroach on our hobby"<

Yes, tell me about it. Had to cancel my order to BVM for the two turbine models I had on order. Also, not sure if I will get that 52% Extra 540 with the DA 200 cc motor. My lady and I have had to cut back on our daily dinner plans, Olive Garden and Out Back resturants don't deliver, and the cost of gas is killing us. I drive the Ferrari only three days a week to work, using my lady friends Hummer for the other times. Our daughter is now of the opinion her life is coming to an end. Upon return from her senior trip to Paris, I had to advise her the car she was getting for graduation would not be the '08 Corvette. Bought her a new Mazda M5 Miata instead, better milage and lower cost. She told us she "hated us". Really crushed her mother. The yearly summer vacation to Cancun is now on hold, my offer to go to Myrtle Beach was soundly rejected. If it were not for the SSI, food stamps, and AFDC, I don't know how we would make it.

Last edited by Elfi Flyer; 06-12-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 AM
clockworks

I didn't realise that things were so bad in the USA that some of you guys are having to cut back on the "essentials", like flying.

Although prices here in the UK are rising just as fast (30% on fuel, 20% on food and energy), the economy seems to be holding up. Could be that we're just behind you in the economic cycle, heading for recession.

Still plenty of overtime, nearly doubling my basic salary. I've paid off my mortgage, so the credit crunch is actually working in my favour. Some banks are offering very good savings rates - just opened a regular savings plan that's giving me 10% interest (more than double the base rate). Putting 500GBP (1000USD) a month in there.
With a couple of other savings plans, I'm effectively saving all of my basic salary and using my overtime to pay the bills and "pocket money".

I'm working hard and saving as much as I can, with the aim of retiring at 55. I hope to have enough cash saved so that I don't have to draw my pension until the normal retirement age of 65.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:43 PM
griffin

Originally Posted by Elfi Flyer View Post
>"Very interesting reading indeed to see how life's financial responsibilities encroach on our hobby"<

Yes, tell me about it. Had to cancel my order to BVM for the two turbine models I had on order. Also, not sure if I will get that 52% Extra 540 with the DA 200 cc motor. My lady and I have had to cut back on our daily dinner plans, Olive Garden and Out Back resturants don't deliver, and the cost of gas is killing us. I drive the Ferrari only three days a week to work, using my lady friends Hummer for the other times. Our daughter is now of the opinion her life is coming to an end. Upon return from her senior trip to Paris, I had to advise her the car she was getting for graduation would not be the '08 Corvette. Bought her a new Mazda M7 Miata instead, better milage and lower cost. She told us she "hated us". Really crushed her mother. The yearly summer vacation to Cancun is now on hold, my offer to go to Myrtle Beach was soundly rejected. If it were not for the SSI, food stamps, and AFDC, I don't know how we would make it.

Alright MR. Funny pants, sounds like hardships have hit your home hard too

Your hyperbole is exactly how Americans sound griping about our economy. Many in the world don't own a car, so whining about gas prices and RC toy prices is something they can only dream of.

BTW, we keep talking about how smaller planes can help reduce costs. Actually, what we should be saying is "lighter" planes:

-Stevensaero 40E Cap for example cost half as much to power than most .40 conversions.
-Pat Tritle has a 60" Jenny and a new 60" Ercoupe which are so light they can be powered by cheap 400 class outrunners and small 2 cell batteries.

-Steve
Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Elfi Flyer

Originally Posted by clockworks View Post
I've paid off my mortgage, so the credit crunch is actually working in my favour. Some banks are offering very good savings rates - just opened a regular savings plan that's giving me 10% interest (more than double the base rate). Putting 500GBP (1000USD) a month in there. With a couple of other savings plans, I'm effectively saving all of my basic salary and using my overtime to pay the bills and "pocket money".

I'm working hard and saving as much as I can, with the aim of retiring at 55. I hope to have enough cash saved so that I don't have to draw my pension until the normal retirement age of 65.
Outstanding! Bravo and Here, Here. More of us folks on this side of the pond should follow this example. We do have this thing about buying on credit and just paying the minimums. Years ago I was doing the same. I finally learned the finer points of "saving for a rainy day". Biggest hit for me is the higher petrol costs. $4/USG may be cheap compared to our European neighbors, but it is a major increase and it really hits hard on people living on fixed incomes. A doff of the hat to you also for setting the goal on NOT having to pull your retirement funds until you reach actual full retirement age. I am striving to do the same.

Regards,
Old 06-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Elfi Flyer

Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Alright MR. Funny pants,.....Your hyperbole is....
Ah, the parabola of Life, with its ups and downs.......

Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Just to be clear -- am I to understand that gasoline prices are increasing in the UK, as well?

I saw something on the news last week, where some world leaders (a representative from China was among them, but there were five or six people in the video) had formed a committee to ask OPEC to increase production.

It seems the USA is not alone in this crisis -- though we feel as if we are... Part of the problem is how dependent the citizens of the USA are on their cars. From what I understand (I could be wrong), people outside the USA have access to good mass transit (trains, subways, monorails, busses) -- but the USA is so spread out that it just doesn't work here... (For example, there is no mass transit that will take me from my house to my office.)

For the record, where I live (Tulsa, Oklahoma) the price of a gallon of gasoline has increased 400% in the last 15 years. That just boggles my mind...
Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I'm trying for the same thing. Haven't quite gotten there yet but our only two payments are the house and my truck.

Got the wife's van payed off back in march and it is still young vehicle wise so will hopefully last for a long time to come. Truck should be paid off this time next year. We have added the van payment to my my truck payment so are basically doubling it up.

Once it is paid off all of it will go towards the house. I am loading up my Civil service thrift saving plan where the match what I put in and then some. Look to have enough in there to quit and pay off the house by the time I'm 50.

Even with the house, being debt free is a great feeling!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:59 PM
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

It's not just hitting us atour ability to buy the planes for our lack of money. Most of Horizon Hobby's planes have jumped up $10 bucks in cost, and they are apparently having supply problems as well-40 size Ultra Sticks have been on back order on their site for over 8 months. Also some of their business practices have seriously taken a toll on smaller hobby shops-I know of one locally that tried for a year to be able to sell their stuff, and the requirements were just insane. He was a great guy, and had a lot of hopes, but he had to close shop a few months ago.

As fuel goes up, stuff is going to cost more to get to our retailers, then even more to get to us. Combine that with the damage most of my stuff has when it gets here, I just bought a hot wire foam cutter and build everything from insulation foam....
Old 06-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Elfi Flyer

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I'm trying for the same thing. Haven't quite gotten there yet but our only two payments are the house and my truck.
Not bad financial planning. However, that 18 wheeler with air conditioning (in the trailer section!!) used to carry all those beautiful airplanes.....well...........

BTW: I dropped your name over on the WTTM Final Chapter thread. Looking forward to seeing you at Keith's event, and your offer to take a picture or two of the WTTM transfer is greatfully accepted. See you on the 21st.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Not bad financial planning. However, that 18 wheeler with air conditioning (in the trailer section!!) used to carry all those beautiful airplanes.....well...........

BTW: I dropped your name over on the WTTM Final Chapter thread. Looking forward to seeing you at Keith's event, and your offer to take a picture or two of the WTTM transfer is greatfully accepted. See you on the 21st.

Yeah, like I said earlier, when I bought that rig diesel was about 40 cents a gallon cheaper than gas and... well... now it's not. It is still cheapre to drive and tow the trailer than a gasolione powered rig is. I get between 15 and 16 towing and just running around town I get 18-20 with it.

Looking forward to seeing you again as well. Man that's next weekend huh? Better start packing and getting loaded up!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:43 PM
griffin

I've really had to cut back when we travel. But I can definitely save gas by bringing along a small car.

-Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_007601c8b776$9d8ce660$0300a8c0@chrisbc5c60660.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	68698  
Old 06-10-2008, 03:54 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by griffin View Post
I've really had to cut back when we travel. But I can definitely save gas by bringing along a small car.

-Steve
So YOU are the one who stole my RV! Dang you...
Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 PM
clockworks

Outstanding! Bravo and Here, Here. More of us folks on this side of the pond should follow this example. We do have this thing about buying on credit and just paying the minimums. Years ago I was doing the same. I finally learned the finer points of "saving for a rainy day". Biggest hit for me is the higher petrol costs. $4/USG may be cheap compared to our European neighbors, but it is a major increase and it really hits hard on people living on fixed incomes. A doff of the hat to you also for setting the goal on NOT having to pull your retirement funds until you reach actual full retirement age. I am striving to do the same.

Regards,
I didn't start saving until I was 40. I spent everything I earned, but had no debts apart from the mortgage. I got laid off, spent 6 months scratching a living. Once I got another job, I decided I didn't want to face that again, so started working hard, making overpayments on the mortgage and saving the rest. After 5 years the mortgage was paid off.

I'm fortunate that I do very little mileage at my own expense. I drive 30k miles a year as an IT field service engineer. My employer provides a car and pays a mileage allowance which just about covers my business mileage. I have to pay for my private mileage, and make a contribution towards the cost of the car.
Routine grocery shopping, etc., gets done on the way home from work, so my employer is still paying for the gas.

It surprises me how few people save for their retirement. Even aquaintences who earn considerably more than I do seem to live for the moment, paying off huge debts.
I have managed to convert a couple of friends to my way of thinking, though.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
clockworks

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Just to be clear -- am I to understand that gasoline prices are increasing in the UK, as well?

I saw something on the news last week, where some world leaders (a representative from China was among them, but there were five or six people in the video) had formed a committee to ask OPEC to increase production.

It seems the USA is not alone in this crisis -- though we feel as if we are... Part of the problem is how dependent the citizens of the USA are on their cars. From what I understand (I could be wrong), people outside the USA have access to good mass transit (trains, subways, monorails, busses) -- but the USA is so spread out that it just doesn't work here... (For example, there is no mass transit that will take me from my house to my office.)

For the record, where I live (Tulsa, Oklahoma) the price of a gallon of gasoline has increased 400% in the last 15 years. That just boggles my mind...
I think that prices here in the UK have closely followed what's happened in the US. Oil is priced in USD, and the Sterling/Dollar exchange rate has been pretty consistent for many years.

While most metropolitan areas have good public transport, the rural areas don't. Many of the train services were discontinued in the '60's, the tracks were pulled up. We do have buses, but they don't run at night. Some areas might have only 1 bus a day into town, and another back again in the evening.

Thinking back to when I got my first moped (35 years ago), petrol was 20p (40cents) a gallon. Now it's 5.50 (11USD). A gallon of gas has pretty much been the same price as a packet of cigarettes for as long as I can remember.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:10 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I couldn't agree more. It seems nobody knows how to save anymore. Of course you have to go against the grain to be able to save. Our government tells us to spend to help the economy, and marketing tells us to buy things so we are better than our neighboors. American middle class has become a society of look at me and my shinny new toy, I'm better than you.

Me, I guess I'm sort of lucky, I learned the value of a dollar very early. Maybe to much so since I'll argue over a buck. I got a paper route at 12, saved every penny, then at 14 landscaping and Shopko, Saved every penny I could. By the time I got to college I had enough that I didn't need to work my freshman year. At the end of freshman year I was offered a campus job In my degree, Saved every penny I could. I graduated college with more money than I had going in. Now I have a good job, and my only debt is my house. Even in this rough economy I'm not hurting but It does make me even more money frugal.

I have one friend my age that saves like me, The rest all live paycheck to paycheck.
Originally Posted by clockworks View Post

It surprises me how few people save for their retirement. Even aquaintences who earn considerably more than I do seem to live for the moment, paying off huge debts.
I have managed to convert a couple of friends to my way of thinking, though.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Well I've always tended to be the thrifty one of the family.....ok in everything else. LOL

It's finally sinking in to the wifey that driving 25 miles to work, driving home, changing clothes, and driving 24.75 miles back to the store she passed on the way home isn't really cost effective. And the 28 cents a mile she's going to be paying on the lease, since she racked up over 20,000 miles a year, is adding up quickly.

I did luck out, stupidly as always though. When my Grand Pap died, none of the family wanted the old farm. So I bought it. Leased most of the land out to neighboring farmers. Then cha ching time came. Timber, Coal, Gas, and Pipe line contracts. Latest gas contracts mean I won't have to worry about working till I'm I'm 50 or 60 or 70 now.

Heck I'm going to look for a job at Wally World, passing out the Smiley stickers, when we move back to Florida.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Guys -- I don't mean to be a stick-in-the-mud, but how frugal are we... REALLY... if we spend money on an expensive hobby such as RC?

Also, I find it difficult to believe that gasoline is $11(US) per gallon in the UK... Something must be wrong with that math... :o
Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Furgal can mean a lot of things LL, instead of buying BOTH the E-Flite MUS and the Parkzone Corsair, I'm ONLY going to buy the Corsair.

Europeans pay a lot more in tax than we do, that's why theirs is so much more.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Guys -- I don't mean to be a stick-in-the-mud, but how frugal are we... REALLY... if we spend money on an expensive hobby such as RC?

Also, I find it difficult to believe that gasoline is $11(US) per gallon in the UK... Something must be wrong with that math... :o

I think that is all perception. A buddy of mine thinks I spend boatloads of money on this hobby but he is an avid golfer. $1400 for a set of irons, $400 for a driver, golfs every weekend... how much that is I can only imagine, balls, shoes, well you get the point I hope.

My brother in law has a rock crawler type jeep. I can only imagine the type of money he puts into that.

Bottom line is I think we all have hobbies, or vices' if you wish to call them that, yet we can still be somewhat frugal in managing what we do spend.

On the other hand I have another (ex) brother in law that does nothing but work, no hobbies except for beating up on my wife's sister... well he's not doing that anymore either.

I think no matter how bad the economy is we all need an outlet of some sort, especially now.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

i know that when i'd visit europe, the price per liter of gasoline was close to our price per gallon.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

I think that is all perception. A buddy of mine thinks I spend boatloads of money on this hobby but he is an avid golfer. $1400 for a set of irons, $400 for a driver, golfs every weekend... how much that is I can only imagine, balls, shoes, well you get the point I hope.

My brother in law has a rock crawler type jeep. I can only imagine the type of money he puts into that.

Bottom line is I think we all have hobbies, or vices' if you wish to call them that, yet we can still be somewhat frugal in managing what we do spend.

oh so true. all my friends get on my case about how much i spend on this hobby. the past 12 months i've spent maybe 4k AT most. the year before that i spent about 7 times that building a street/race car. they all spend about the same if not more than that anually building cars. i guess since to outsiders, our planes/heli's are considered just toys the money is seen as extravagant. meanwhile golf and cars are much more socially accepted as common hobbies.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:21 PM
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

Actually with the exchange rate right now, it wouldn't surprise me if it was higher by the USD. Petrol has always been higher in Europe. That's why a lot of Europeans ride motorcycles, scooters, and buy those cute little cars which we'll never get because they are cheap and get good fuel economy and are fun to drive. No one will be impressed by it, and that's what it's all about in America-buying the biggest thing you can possibly afford because hey, if it's bigger and more expensive, it must be better-sorry I have a dim view of the giant SUV that soccer mom drives to the tune of 10 mpg while she's juggling her cell phone, iPod, 44oz starbucks quadruple creme latte and trying unsuccessfully to keep from running over my bike, which she can't see because it's just not important...

I think no matter how bad the economy is we all need an outlet of some sort, especially now.
I agree Bill. I've got a buddy whose obsession is mud trucks. He won't think nothing about dropping 3 grand for an engine or transmission, but is shocked I want to spend 700 bucks on that 9303 2.4...The good news is I can have as much fun with a $5.00 sheet of foam as I can with that new $400 arf, it's just not as impressive....

Nevermind, apparently my money woes are over I just an email from Ms Amina Abdulkareem, who apparently has several million in an account she will split with me if I just send her $300 to cover the costs of liberating the money....

Quick Reply: The Economy and Your RC Hobby

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10600 seconds with 16 queries