eflite lipo + parkzone charger = error? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

eflite lipo + parkzone charger = error?

Old 06-05-2008, 10:59 PM
park_flyer

Default eflite lipo + parkzone charger = error?

after about 5min of charging an eflite 1800mah 11.1v 3S pack, my PZ lipo charger errs out. brand new batt. it is sort of oddly reading 12.1V @ the lead.

charger still works with factory PZ batt pack perfectly.

should i try flying the eflite dead and trying again?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

How are you reading voltage? This should not be a problem, some people still use that charger. You have the amps and cell number set correctly?

A fully charged 3 cell will have 12.6v.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Park Flyer...........

One of your statements scared me!

You said:" should i try flying the eflite dead "

Don't EVER do that. You should use that battery down to about 10 volts and no lower
because if you go below 9 volts, you can really damage that battery. 3 volts per cell is
considered the absolute minimum voltage on a LiPo pack.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 PM
park_flyer

ok, let me restate that. fly it to the low voltage cutoff on the eflite 25A esc.

run it "down" not "dead"
Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 PM
park_flyer

Originally Posted by SkunkyMagoo View Post
How are you reading voltage? This should not be a problem, some people still use that charger. You have the amps and cell number set correctly?

A fully charged 3 cell will have 12.6v.

multimeter @ red/white connector on batt to answer that question.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

Lipos are shipped partially charged. A lipo I just powered up for a delta I made read 11.1 volts out of the package.
I don't see any obvious error reasons; Parkzone and Eflite are both subsections of Horizon Hobby, and I've never heard of compatibility issues with different lipos and chargers until now.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

For what it is worth, I also had a problem fully charging my batteries with the PZ lipo charger. After about 10 charges it started to only charge to 11.4-6 volts. Tried my batts on a different charger and they work fine. I ended up just getting another charger.

You are bound to anyways, might as well just get it over with.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I had some trouble with my PZ and some other brands of batteries while it continued to work OK with the PZ lipo. Don't know why.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Hostile
flying Cajun

Thats what happens with my e-flite charger, only with a 7.4 e-flite battery. It seems to charge it to almost full, then errors. I found if I go run it partially down. It will take a full charge after? Dunno, it may work for you?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:30 AM
park_flyer

it appears to charge, just instead of signalling a "charge complete" it errs out.

i flew the pack down to 10.4V and threw it back on the charger. it charged and balanced the pack up to 12V (on the charge lead, by my calculations, cell voltages were 4.05V, 4.00V, and 4.00V)

should i just keep charging it this method (assume that when it errs out, charge is complete and the wiring is simply different enough for the PZ charger to not understand correctly) or take the batt back, call e-flite, or try a nicer charger?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 AM
park_flyer

Originally Posted by SkunkyMagoo View Post
For what it is worth, I also had a problem fully charging my batteries with the PZ lipo charger. After about 10 charges it started to only charge to 11.4-6 volts. Tried my batts on a different charger and they work fine. I ended up just getting another charger.

You are bound to anyways, might as well just get it over with.
i figured this was the road i would be going to enevitably... even before i bought an rtf.

got any suggestions for an economical balancing charger? these buggers get expensive in a hurry.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Hostile
flying Cajun

Originally Posted by park_flyer View Post
it appears to charge, just instead of signalling a "charge complete" it errs out.

i flew the pack down to 10.4V and threw it back on the charger. it charged and balanced the pack up to 12V (on the charge lead, by my calculations, cell voltages were 4.05V, 4.00V, and 4.00V)

should i just keep charging it this method (assume that when it errs out, charge is complete and the wiring is simply different enough for the PZ charger to not understand correctly) or take the batt back, call e-flite, or try a nicer charger?
Well I'm no expert by any means. I try to help when I think I can. so....

Mine seems to do this same thing to a T. It charges the battery fine. After running the battery in my heli. Seeming to have the same flight times/charge times. Will charge, and balance the next charge?? After sitting a few days, it will start the process all over again??

Never had any troubles to date?? Have a 11.1v e-flite battery, it works every time??
Old 06-06-2008, 01:05 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Originally Posted by park_flyer View Post
i figured this was the road i would be going to enevitably... even before i bought an rtf.

got any suggestions for an economical balancing charger? these buggers get expensive in a hurry.
In your other post you said it was charging to 12v or 4.0v per cell but this is not fully charged. You should have 4.2v per cell or 12.6v.

As for a charger there are many "cheap" chargers that work GREAT. I personally use the GT Power A6.

Other chargers that are basically identical are the iC6 and imax B6.

All are $60-80 and charge basically all batts (nicad,nimh,lipo,lion.lead acid) 1-6 cells up to 5 amps.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...cer/discharger
Old 06-06-2008, 02:18 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

After becoming disinchanted with the PZ I got a Hextronic 0808 . Unfortunately that order got caught in the HC out of stock jam.
So I got a a FMA Cellpro 4S. There is a lot of enthusiasm for the Chinese Bantam type clones. I read a LOT about all of these. I'm a sucker for a cheap deal but after reading a lot of reviews went for the 4S. They are all in a similar price range. I'm am REALLY glad I did. Once the Hextronic showed up it just mostly sits in the box since I have the Cellpro working that does MUCH better charging and feedback on battery information. It's like having a wattmeter-don't know how I got by without it.

The Hextronic does a reasonable job but has a number of hidden deficits (does not charge at specified rate, does not charge to full capacity). I've checked 3 units and it's similar on all of them so mine is not a fluke I think.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:56 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I think I'm actually getting sick of this question For Lipo chargers on Wattflyer there seems to be 2 groups of people. the HobbyCity iMax B6 types, and the FMA Cellpro types. I'm a Cellpro guy, I think simplicity is King and the Cellpro is as simple as you can get. (by simple I mean easy to use and Idiot proof, not lacking in features).
Old 06-06-2008, 04:21 PM
jcg1112

I agree with you Constant. Best charger is like best lipo. Everyone eventually finds what works for them. I know I did since converting from glow this past year. My pz charger doesn't get used anymore, it won't indicate fully charged. I too am a 4S user, can't beat it for the price and if it meets your needs. I like being able to charge safely at greater than 1C. Just another flier's .02