Events, Shows and Fun Fly's - Electric Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

NC Outer banks flying

Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 AM
Yaldy

Default NC Outer banks flying

Greetings everyone,

I'm going on vacation to the outer banks and wanted to know if there are any clubs or places where people fly down there. I haven't seen much on the Internet and thought this would be a great place to fly.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 PM
DIALED/CHUCK
Let's Get To Work...

Originally Posted by Yaldy View Post
Greetings everyone,

I'm going on vacation to the outer banks and wanted to know if there are any clubs or places where people fly down there. I haven't seen much on the Internet and thought this would be a great place to fly.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

Where ya staying? In the 4X4 area?

I go EVERY YEAR and fly on the beach down from Corolla. If you are going there....make a left onto the beach (it is best to go between 7-9am and 630 and 8pm before dark)....

3.5 miles down on the left there are some massive dunes and behind them is a nice BIG bowl to fly in. Park your car at the bottom of the dunes and go up the footpath. It is right next to this house. "Long IV"

http://www.twiddy.com/homes/4x4/ocea...h/long-iv.aspx

If they have construction vehicles parked there...there are several 'bowls' of cleared area to fly in right in that area. You can also stop by Twiddy (the real estate company) to get maps that show 'open areas'.

Below is a pic of the corolla turn off on to the beach...any sandy areas you see back from the water with circles are usually open areas.

If you are doing slow-fly 3D, Corolla light park has some open spaces near the water which is great for flying....there is also the Corolla/Corova Airport and you can ask them...if they are not busy, they may be okay letting you get some pulls in.

Finally, Kill-Devil hills dune....there are always guys sloping off of that....

Do not try to fly at the Wright Brothers memorial...Ironically, you are not allowed to fly RC there.....which is hysterical as it has awesome amounts of space....and the Wright brothers kinda liked what we do in a manner of speaking.

Let me know if you need any more help. I go down there often and live about an hour and 10 away in Virginia Beach.

Yours in brotherhood,

--C
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	corolla.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	36245