Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Aileron Set up confusion

Old 06-22-2020, 06:57 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Default Aileron Set up confusion

Hi folks,

After six years plus of taking a break, I'm jumping back in to RC. Like many others that have taken such a break, I'm surprised at how much I forgot. I'm trying to set up a slow flyer (I flew quite often) with ailerons and I needed to rebind the receiver. I have a DX7 radio. I use model match, and the plane I'm setting up was saved in the radio, and I flew it with no issues back then . But years ago, I robbed the receiver so I just replaced it with an AR500. I did a rebind, and that was fine. I get all control surfaces and motor to work. BUT my aileron's are moving in tandom acting like the elevator and the rudder will not move but the elevator does work. Everything changes, if I plug in a control surface by itself I can get each control surface to work related to it's slot in the receiver.

In the back of my mind I seem to remember having a similar problem the first time I set up ailerons but for the life of me I can't remember the fix. I'm sure I'm missing something.
I've tried a different receiver and the exact same things happen. I've flipped the multiple switches on the DX7, and still no solution. I've double checked to insure I have the plugs in the correct slots, and corresponding correctly to the proper control surface. What am I missing here?
Old 06-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ate you using a DX7 Gen 2? or Just the first generaton because in the gen 2 there is a setting in the model setup for the type of plane you are using. For example the setting will ask is this a dual aileron setup or on servo for aileron setup etc. Just my first thought
Old 06-22-2020, 03:01 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

I'm using DX7 first gen. Like I said, the thing that throws me is that I have not changed anything in the model match set up from the last time I flew the plane. I've not changed anything else. I'm sure the issue is right in front of me, but I can't figure it out.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:19 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I don't think the radio brand makes much difference ........... if the aileron servos are in separate RX slots ... then go to REVERSE servo in the TX menu and reverse the one you need to change ...
Just make sure that both servos have same setting .. but one is + while other is -
Old 06-23-2020, 12:20 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

AirmanAirhead
It is possible for a Spektrum to 'loose' a setting in a particular model match memory. It has happened to me quite recently where it lost a 'reverse' setting. I think it may happen if you switch off the Tx as a particular point but before the model has completely loaded from memory.
It makes the pre flight check all the more important. Never assume it is 'good to go' just because it was fine on the previous flight.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:51 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Thanks for the replies. Though I have not tried either solution yet, but will this evening. I think you have both helped me understand what happened.
1. Either the setting got changed years ago, for what reason I don't know.
2. The TX indeed lost the aileron setting.
3. Chellie pointed out in a pm that it sounded like the setting is for a wing or delta set up.

All three make sense. In any case it is forcing me to pull out the TX manual and relearn some things. Which is
a good thing.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:09 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Well I'm still stuck. Here's the update. I now have rudder and elevators working just fine. My problem is still with the ailerons. No matter what I try they act in unison with each other. I have tried reversing (in the TX) one servo aileron, no change. I put that back, and then reverse the other aileron servo. They still operate in unison. I've tried reversing them opposite of each other, still no change.

I'm using an AR500 Spk. RX. I'm running into the two separate aileron slots on the RX.

I've also double checked the wing type. I'm keeping flaps "off" and delta "off" and v-tail "off" which according the the manual that should mean normal wing type.
What am I missing here
Old 06-23-2020, 09:27 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Do you have any Gyro Stabiliser or other item fitted to the model that may have action with RX / Servos ?

I assume not.

OK ... I'm no Spektrum person ... but surely we can try something ...

When I get a strange action with a model that was working fine before and no matter what I do with TX menu - still plays games ... I bind the model to a NEW slot on the TX and start from absolute scratch zero again ... I do NOT copy the old ! I only make note of Expo / DR settings ...
I insert one servo ... make sure its operating correct direction etc. Then insert next servo ... check and if correct - insert next servo and so on.
With SPLIT aileron servos ... I make sure they are mounted correctly in model ... ie servo arms both pointing to fuselage or both pointing to wing tips. This then means that in theory the can both be same rotation setting - not needing one reversed. But if mounted with arms pointing same side - then one will need reversing ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Servo set up.png
Views:	9
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	188110  
Old 06-23-2020, 01:33 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

If the servos did not reverse then either what you 'reversed' was not what was driving the servos or the reverse operation was not successful.
I assume the right aileron is in the AIL port and the left aileron is in the AUX1 port and the Flaperon function is on. Flaperon is required for dual aileron operation.

You can use the Servo Monitor function (p66) to show what commands the Tx thinks it is sending to each servo and the degree of travel. This also allows you to 'see' if reversing a particular channel has had any effect.
If your aileron servos are mounted in the normal way I would expect the monitor to show AIL and FLAP (aux1) to be moving in the same direction with aileron stick operation.

As solentlife points out the best way to start is to connect just one aileron servo to the AIL port. Check that it is the right aileron that is moving. Then be absolutely sure it is moving in the correct way relative to the stick movement. Reverse if it is not.
Then disconnect the right aileron servo and put the other servo in the AUX1 socket. It should be moving in the correct way relative to stick movement. Reverse AUX1 if it is not.
Only then connect both servos and check again they are still moving correctly.
If for any reason connecting both causes a change then something is amiss with the plane's wiring.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

That's where my not using Spektrum shows .. I would never have thought to enable flaperons for second aileron use.

I am a er9x user and all channels are assignable to anything you want ...

But I think when it comes down to basics ... a manual in one hand ... TX in other ... and a beer on the side ... we all get there in the end !!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:38 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

SUCCESS! Between Solentlife and quorneng I found the issue. After trying everything all over again, I looked more closely at the servos. Indeed, one was 180 out. How that happened I'm not sure. I simply moved the arm to the correct position and double checked the servo direction on both ailerons. everything is fine now. I don't know if the servo had fallen out years ago, getting snagged on something when stored away, (and put back wrong) or the setting in the TX was wrong. I need to review again the directions quorneng provided to understand that issue more clearly.

I appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. All in all, it forced me to refresh my memory on moving through the settings on my TX. Surprised at how much I forgot, but also how reading the manual and working through it brings it back, slowly.

I also plan on adding a good dose of expo to my first flights. I really feel rusty, but eager.