Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Why are the manufacturers designing kits on 2.4 ghz?

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Why are the manufacturers designing kits on 2.4 ghz?

Old 04-01-2020, 01:38 AM
Jimigunne

Default Why are the manufacturers designing kits on 2.4 ghz?

I bought my grandson an indoor gyro stabilized rc helo for christmas but he cant fly it. Well, we did on christmas day, but had to turn off the router as its on 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz as they all are. It seems like all the rc planes/ drones are on 2.4 ghz also.Thought it would be ideal bird to learn on but somebody almost always need the internet. Why isnt there a special freq set up for rc up in the ghz bands?
Old 04-01-2020, 12:11 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Jimigunne
I suspect the problem is with the helo rather than the router.
2.4 and 5 are normally very clever, testing for and selecting a specific frequency, or even several and hoping between them, within in the frequency band. Simple (cheap) stuff does not necessarily do this properly, if at all, so is more likely to suffer interference. It is possible the RC in your helo may actually be illegal in your country. Hopefully your router is frequency compliant - it should be.
I regularly fly 2.4 close to a cell phone mast (they are also 2.4 and much more powerful too) with no problem.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:48 PM
Jimigunne

Cell towers dont interfere with rc on 2.4 ghz because cell towers are all within 824 to 894 mhz.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:36 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Q is right ... I fly plenty of 2.4 indoor stuff and my Internet Router is not fussed at all ..... nor are the indoor 'toy' models.

The only time I had any indication of conflict was with a FlySky 9x series Tx / Rx ... when binding a Rx ... I was close to my router and the Rx didn't want to bind to the Tx .... I moved away to another room and it bound fine ... in fact going back next to Router - all worked fine.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

You guys got me curious.
I have a Wifi analyzer app on my phone.
I set my phone to the 2.4 band of my Wifi router and it shows me the signal strength of the two 2.4 routers in my house, and signals from my neighbors homes.
With my DX8g2 transmitter laying in my lap, I turned it on.
The Wifi analyzer does not even see or display the signal from my TX. They must be separated somehow.

My guess is the little helo has such a wide band receiver, it can't handle any other signals on 2.4 within range of it.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:55 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Your analyzer cannot see your Tx because its flipping around the frequency slots so fast - its not stopping on one long enough .....

Its like trying to measure AC on a DC meter ...
Old 04-02-2020, 04:42 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I thought I might see a low signal across the band.
But didn't have anything even below -90dbm
Old 04-02-2020, 10:04 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I thought I might see a low signal across the band.
But didn't have anything even below -90dbm
The only common factor is the use of 2.4 .... but the way its used is completely different.

The WiFi use has a code ID and router / PC etc. rejects any info that does not have that ID ... each pairing basically generates a new one so that you do not have interference of each WiFi item.
But your TX hops the frequency band ... its 2.4 but spread across the band allocation.
The old 2.4 type where a single free slot was identified and used - you may be able to get a signal strength - but doubtful. Later 2.4 does not sit on one slot long enough as its swapping 2 ... 4 ... 16 ... or more slots thousands of times a second. (Number of slots depends on brand of radio of course).

Funny thing is - if you fly DJI .... you can see the signal strength as the Software for DJI includes metering.... but it only shows DJI.