Humor Have some funny jokes or stories? All is fair game except political, religious or too explicit.

Improvise Adapt Overcome

Old 10-19-2018, 08:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Talking Improvise Adapt Overcome

Hi Everyone Back in 1973 I Bought a 73 Ford Ranchero used with 20,000 miles on it, Got it for a song, Its been in the family for 45 Years, I used it, my sister used it and my Father was the last one to use it, He is no longer able to drive now, he is 91 years old, but still walking around ok but his eyes are not very good now days so he can not drive any more, he wanted me to pick up the Ranchero because its not being used and he wants to keep it in the Family, That was his Girl he gifted it back to me, Last Tuesday I rented a U Haul 10 ft Van and a Heavy Duty car Trailer to haul it back home, It Cost almost 200.00 one way for the Van and Trailer, it was running a few months ago, so i thought i could just fire it up and drive it onto the car Trailer, but No, it would not start, I charged the battery, sprayed some sure start in the carb, it started on the sure start then died, I took off the Air cleaner and pumped the gas peddle but no gas was spraying in the carb, Darn, possible bad Fuel pump, and it was getting late in the evening, Ok so i thought Motorcycles dont have fuel pumps, they are Gravity feed, Ok so off to walmart to buy a gas can, a gas filter with hoses and clamps and a siphon hose assy, I blocked off the fuel line going to the carb, just in case and ran the plastic hose to the carb and a water bottle filled with gas, It worked, and I was able to start and drive the car onto the car Trailer I had to Give that Old Girl a IV to get her going again enjoy the Pics, Chellie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rsz_2img_0019.jpg (299.9 KB, 191 views)
rsz_3img_0016.jpg (236.6 KB, 199 views)
rsz_3img_0017.jpg (254.0 KB, 202 views)
rsz_img_0018.jpg (235.1 KB, 198 views)
rsz_img_0020.jpg (452.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 10-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

You are a smart little cookie Chellie. Good onya. It is in good hands again.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Way to go Lass !!!

Wish my Wife was as handy as you !! Blimey - she has trouble with TV remote and cannot use a smartphone properly !!

Nigel
Old 10-19-2018, 12:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... Lass ....

A trick I used when I had to move cars before ........... please don't laugh ...

Open Gasoline tank ... stick lips over and BLOW in hard ... honest !! If you can get a soft rubber bung and pipe ... even better ... do this while another turns the key ...

Often what happens is an airlock develops as the gasoline seeps or evaporates out of carb. It draws fuel but tank pump is not running ... the line from tank to carb then basically needs a bit of pressure in tank to fill again.

You can stop laughing now ... it works !!

Nigel
Old 10-19-2018, 12:25 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Here's another story ...

When I lived in St Petersburg Russia ... one of my employees has a Moskovich 319 ... a terrible car !! It was as basic as you could get ... no instruments in the dash apart from a red warning light for low gasoline tank. Believe me - years ago - Russian cars - fuel gauge and so on were OPTIONAL extras !!

Anyway ... to start it - he would open hood and pull gasoline pipe of the carb. Suck on it to draw fuel ... slap it back on carb and start engine. About 10km along ... engine would slow and stop. Out .. open hood .. suck on pipe ... start and go another 10km.

Straight up - honest - I offered to have the car fixed so many times - and he said not necessary !!

It finally came to a head when the brakes failed on it one day and I refused to have the car in our parking !!

Nigel
Old 10-19-2018, 12:33 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
You are a smart little cookie Chellie. Good onya. It is in good hands again.
Thank You Panther It Needs some work to be done to it, but not to bad, I think the original engine in it has over 300,000 miles on it, I replaced the Timing chain in it twice so far, ever 100.000 miles, the heads have never been off of the engine, the trans has been overhauled once before, I purchased on line a carter fuel pump for it from Rockauto.com, I could not believe the price $12.43 and some Stainless steel braided 5/16" fuel hose, It needs front end suspension bushings, and maybe ball joints, the inside of the tires are worn down to the metal braided core on the front, the diff. is leaking gear oil at the yoke seal, it needs tires all the way around, I am looking at a rebuilt engine for it, I found one, its a 302 V8 engine with 330Hp LOL for about $2.600.00 Little by Little i will put it back into shape, it also need weather stripping molding and a Paint job, so i have my work cut out for me
Old 10-19-2018, 12:36 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Way to go Lass !!!

Wish my Wife was as handy as you !! Blimey - she has trouble with TV remote and cannot use a smartphone properly !!

Nigel
Thats funny Nigel,I am with your wife on this one I have trouble with TV remote and cannot use a smart phone Properly, I am Old School, and electronic gizmos drive me nuts Windows 10 on my Computer drives me nuts too
Old 10-19-2018, 12:38 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

OK ... Lass ....

A trick I used when I had to move cars before ........... please don't laugh ...

Open Gasoline tank ... stick lips over and BLOW in hard ... honest !! If you can get a soft rubber bung and pipe ... even better ... do this while another turns the key ...

Often what happens is an airlock develops as the gasoline seeps or evaporates out of carb. It draws fuel but tank pump is not running ... the line from tank to carb then basically needs a bit of pressure in tank to fill again.

You can stop laughing now ... it works !!

Nigel
I Know that works Nigel, I have done that before too
Old 10-19-2018, 12:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I Know that works Nigel, I have done that before too
Somehow I cannot imagine a Lass like you putting 'lips' over a gasoline tank !!

Nigel
Old 10-19-2018, 12:56 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Somehow I cannot imagine a Lass like you putting 'lips' over a gasoline tank !!

Nigel
I Have done that with gasoline and diesel equipment, Thats how i would find cracked or broken fuel pickup tubes in fuel tanks, but only if i was working in the field I am not afraid to get dirty, Thats why God invented soap LOL
Old 10-19-2018, 07:19 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

You crack me up Chell !! If we were closer - I'd buy you a drink !!

Cheers
Nigel