Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

good/bad customer service

Old 08-16-2005, 02:48 AM
A_Smith

Question good/bad customer service

Did you have a good or bad service tell it like it is here.

I'll start it off.
I was given a NEW brushless himax motor and gear box set for helping a buddy build a plane. The first time I used it the motor shaft broke in flight. The pinion side of the shaft was gone and my Taco (www.flyingthingz.com) landed with a free spinning prop. I sent a email to Himax and was told to return for replacement. June 4th I sent it with all the stuff himax needed for replacement. I shipped it insured and quicker than standard mail. I called on July 7th. and was told it was received . I was then told it would be be put in there PC I called. It is over 3 months (today 8-15-05) since I sent the motor to them. And I have purchased another brushless since then. I bet you could tell it is NOT himax. Has anyone sent something to Himax and gotten it returned to them? I'm still waiting.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Yep! I've sent two differant motors, two differant times back to Max Products for warranty work. Both times it took them 3 months to ship them back to me. Max Products has HORIBLE customer service. I will never buy one of their products again.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:37 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Buy the Ultrafly stuff!! It works well and Hobbico/Hobby services has great customer service. I sent in my crashed Ultrafly Outrage and two weeks later I had a new plane!! They sent a card to me when they recieved the plane and then sent a card to me in the mail about a week later telling me it was backordered but as soon as it was available I would get it. I think a two week turnaround is pretty good.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:56 AM
A_Smith

WOW did Max Products see this post I just got my motor back today. Come on everybody tell it like it is here. Good or bad.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Watt Power
Watts Up Doc?

Default himax

TY for the tip! I'll keep looking,,,Watt Power!!
Old 09-03-2005, 11:44 AM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

As a dealer we strive to give great education and customer service, but I will have to say that Horizon Hobby has great customer service. Even when I am making sure our customers are receiving it. Being a brick and morter if we can replace it on the spot we will then take care of everthing through customer service so if we have too we can fix the next one.

We do however go through everthing and make sure the customer understands and when they do get the replacements know what to do. Honestly we have only had to utilize that a couple times thus far. Once was for a glow RTR that was inproperly assembled and the customer filled up the entired plane with fuel. However, the instructions simply said bolt together, charge, fuel and fly.

That is the benifit of dealing locally. We got him involved with the local club so he would have the sage advise and help of the elders. He is a happy flyer today.

Back to Horizon, we talk with them yesterday on a gear box problem on one of their J-3 Cubs parkzone that was not properly installed or came with enough hardware to mount a prop. Had em in stock so we took out the correct parts from a new gear box, fixed the problem and sent the customer on his way. Horizon is sending us a new gearbox assembly to replace our stock.

Last edited by debhicks; 09-03-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:53 PM
glenclif
Batteries Not Included

From this thread, It seems if you have a Himaxx problem, the best thing to do is throw it away, and buy a new one.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Twmaster

I don't know if this is appropriate to post to this thread but all I can say is WOW about Todd's Models. Everytime I place an order I get my stuff super fast and packed well. Each time I have asked questions via email I got quick and useful replies. Todd has a first class business going there and I will continue to be a customer.

It's a shame MPI seems to have the opposite reputation as I was considering a Himaxx motor for a GWS warbird.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:19 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

I have bought stuff from Todd's Models too!!! They are great people!! I've never had a problem and they packed my orders well.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:00 AM
HoboDog

I have 7 successful orders from Todd's Models now. I just keep comin' back even though I got to pay Washington State tax. You out of state people get a better deal.
I'm close enough to drive there in less then an hour but with the price of gas the shipping is cheaper!
Yo, Todd. How about a discount on my next order...
Old 09-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Twmaster

Thumbs up

I also want to make a positive comment about Justin at Hobby-Lobby. I needed a crystal for an oddball radio and he went the extra bit and found one for me. Price was very good also. H-L is another great outfit that has done much to help get electric RC where it is today.

Bravo H-L and your staff.

Last edited by Twmaster; 09-10-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:02 AM
dimadee
Kontrol Freak

I have had a great experiences with Tower Hobbies.

I bought a Great Planes Spectra for a friend of mine with a Super Brain charger and a number of other items. When it arrived on our side of the world, it was all OK as it was packaged very well.

The problem was with the Super Brain - it fried the battery pack on the first charge (electrolyte leaking from all 7 cells). I then built another pack and cycled it on my charger to confirm it was OK. When we put it on the Super Brain I selected 1A rate and the lowest delta peak value, however when I checked with my multimeter, it was putting in 1.8A. The pack started to get very warm after 20 mins, so I stopped the charge. I did this with a number of other known packs with the same result.

Tower initially referred me to MRC, who committed to get back to me with an answer. After 1 month and a number of follow ups with MRC (no response) I contacted Tower again. They apologized and sent a replacement charger.

I continue to deal with Tower Hobbies, and will recommend them to anyone who wants to know!
Old 09-19-2005, 04:08 PM
kc135boomer
NKAWTG...N!!!

Originally Posted by WWI Ace
Buy the Ultrafly stuff!! It works well and Hobbico/Hobby services has great customer service. I sent in my crashed Ultrafly Outrage and two weeks later I had a new plane!! They sent a card to me when they recieved the plane and then sent a card to me in the mail about a week later telling me it was backordered but as soon as it was available I would get it. I think a two week turnaround is pretty good.
Same here, within 7 days I had a new plane. Also, my Ultrafly PC-9 was missing the cockpit. I called them and a few days later a box showed up. No questions asked. Now that is customer service!
Old 09-20-2005, 01:08 AM
margotcopeland

I've had GREAT service from Tower Hobbies, Todd's, Allerc (Bob actually DROVE parts over to my house so I could have planes running for the weekend!). A new store, Doug's RC in MA has been more than fantastic. I've also had great luck with Hobby People.

In Phoenix, I really like the guys at Duncan's RC...VERY service oriented. There's a section where you can bring your gear and work on it (surrounded by people who can get you out of trouble, if needed).

Worst have been Backyard Hobbies...a Cicada came with missing parts, the repair person actually said "the parts are in there!"...after I explained that I can see and count, he told me to send an email with what was missing...two months and 3 emails later...no response, no parts...bad, bad, bad.

GrandHobby did well for two planes...the third and fourth were definitely customer returns that they repacked...damaged. The replacement parts they sent were ALSO used or damaged...Their answer..."ban" me as a customer....huh?

The winners in RC really outnumber the occasional bad apples. Something about this hobby brings out the good samaritan in people.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:01 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by margotcopeland
The winners in RC really outnumber the occasional bad apples. Something about this hobby brings out the good samaritan in people.
I have to agreed emphatically here. Of all the deals I have done with vendors, my LHS, Feebay and folks on forums like these the positive far out weighs the bad experiences I have had. For example, today I got a message from a fellow who was willing to send me two parts to fix my Slow Stick absolutely free of charge. He even paid the postage. I love this hobby. Loads of great people and fine upstanding businesses out there.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:27 AM
OLD GUY

Default vendors,good & bad!

Good , Omni. Todds , tower , Hobby People , Balsa Products , All were very good for prices & delivery time etc.

Now The not so good ones,
N.E. sailplane , BACKYARD HOBBIES (JUNK) POOR DESIGHN "SKIMMER" ,SELF DESTRUCED ON FIRST FLIGHT! NO answer to phone or email !
Hobby Lobby,every thing they sell is WAY overpriced ?
I have been flying RC since 1955 ,what a great hobby ,I guess my overall favorite is OMNI (all the same stuff as Tower ,but OMNI CHARGES LESS for shipping!

Old guy BILL
Old 09-20-2005, 08:36 PM
A10FLYR

Well, the thread states good or bad. I've had great experiances with bith Castle Creations and Hobby Lobby. A little more expensive but well worth it when things go wrong! They will continue to get my hobby $.....
Old 10-13-2005, 07:25 AM
Hemicyon

Edited post...I was taken good care of by Horizon Hobby...I should have been a bit more patient and pleaded my case sooner.

Last edited by Hemicyon; 10-14-2005 at 03:54 AM.