Informal Clubs Club Talk

The VictorValley High Desert Flying Aces

Old 11-27-2009, 04:51 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Hey thanks for the pictures Rich.Looks like Im carrying a littyl extra holiday weight:o.Im gonna have to work on that
Im gonna try to make it out to the field tomorrow morning,RT
Old 11-27-2009, 06:14 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
Hey thanks for the pictures Rich.Looks like Im carrying a littyl extra holiday weight:o.Im gonna have to work on that
Dont feel like the Lone Ranger RT I need to lose some Holiday weight too :o I will try to get out to the high school flying field on Sat morning, I am Finally getting a bunch of needed things done, i finished screening off the patio eves, where the pigons were roosting, they were attracting Mountain Lions, I had to Chase a Mountain Lion off of my Patio roof, with a broom in one hand hitting the underside of the roof, and a SW 45 in the other hand, just incase Gee, it sounded like a person was walking on my roof, that was a big Cat the males get up to 150 Lbs, thats big for a Lion Take care, Chellie
Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Dont feel like the Lone Ranger RT I need to lose some Holiday weight too :o I will try to get out to the high school flying field on Sat morning, I am Finally getting a bunch of needed things done, i finished screening off the patio eves, where the pigons were roosting, they were attracting Mountain Lions, I had to Chase a Mountain Lion off of my Patio roof, with a broom in one hand hitting the underside of the roof, and a SW 45 in the other hand, just incase Gee, it sounded like a person was walking on my roof, that was a big Cat the males get up to 150 Lbs, thats big for a Lion Take care, Chellie
Chellie ,R U serious about the mountain lion???Holly crp!!! I hope not.Those are nothing to mess around with.Even if you're a crack shooter

I'll try to make it out saturday too ,best-RT
Old 11-27-2009, 06:57 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Chellie ,R U serious about the mountain lion???Holly crp!!! I hope not.Those are nothing to mess around with.Even if you're a crack shooter

I'll try to make it out saturday too ,best-RT
Yes we are serious the schools in the area get Mountain Lion warnings all the time, so be careful flying out in the Hi Desert , and Rabbit lake, its best to have 2 or more people around, I had my son with me, he had a 9MM SW just in case, I shoot expert, perfect scores at the sheriff academy firearms Qualifing, but you still have to be careful
Old 11-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Windwizard

Default Mountain lions

Hey Chellie: I fly down at the Central Field. Where are you located with the Mountain Lions? We live in the Mariana's south of Roundup Way at 4000'. One morning at sunup my wife walked out to throw some seed for the Quail and a Mountain Lion jumped off the roof right over her head. Be careful out there.
Richard
Old 11-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Windwizard

Unhappy Rabbit dry lake

Hey RT: Don't think I'll be at the field this morning - going out to Rabbit. I want to see that guy with the 1/4 scale Hangar 9 Piper Cub - I want, I want. It's such a neat plane, but it has a gas engine and is Plug & Play. They don't offer an electric P & P
Windwizard
Old 11-27-2009, 05:51 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Windwizard View Post
Hey Chellie: I fly down at the Central Field. Where are you located with the Mountain Lions? We live in the Mariana's south of Roundup Way at 4000'. One morning at sunup my wife walked out to throw some seed for the Quail and a Mountain Lion jumped off the roof right over her head. Be careful out there.
Richard
Hi Richard I am Located just south of the college, and Bear Valley Rd, in Hesperia, tell your wife, not to feed the Quail, as it Attracts Mountail Lions, were always looking on the roof during the night, and go out at night with a side arm and flash light , Mountail Lions will most of the time try to avoid people, but if its really Hungry, you could be its next Meal be careful, Chellie
Old 11-27-2009, 05:53 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hey RT: Don't think I'll be at the field this morning - going out to Rabbit. I want to see that guy with the 1/4 scale Hangar 9 Piper Cub - I want, I want. It's such a neat plane, but it has a gas engine and is Plug & Play. They don't offer an electric P & P
Windwizard
Get yourself a 1/4 scale ARF Piper, and add electric to it, its not hard to do, Pipers dont need that much power, because they are a big glider

http://wondertrail.com/radio-control...rod_14365.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4550

http://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercubs.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...000#quickSpecs
Old 11-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Windwizard

Default Mountain Lions

Hi Richard I am Located just south of the college, and Bear Valley Rd, in Hesperia, tell your wife, not to feed the Quail, as it Attracts Mountail Lions, were always looking on the roof during the night, and go out at night with a side arm and flash light , Mountail Lions will most of the time try to avoid people, but if its really Hungry, you could be its next Meal be careful, Chellie
Chellie: Can't stop feeding those Quail, we love them. We go to COSTCO once a month and I buy 160 lbs. of wild birdseed and 6-8 cases of cannned dog food (we have four dogs). We spend more at COSTCO on the animals than we do on us. We have lot's of Coyotes up here, one was howling last night. I fed one Coyote for over 2 years - Wylie would come here every morning at sunrise and then again at sunset. I could kneel down with a milk bone and she'd come to within 15 feet of me and I'd toss it; she loved the Kirkland canned dog food, too. She brought two different litters in to eat in those two years. Sadly, someone poisoned her and she came back here to die. I was really sad - she was almost family. Our dogs got so used to seeing her that they didn't bark anymore. I know we're not supposed to feed them, but I did it anyway and enjoyed it. I have tons of pictures, if you're interested.
Richard
Old 11-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Windwizard

Default Mountain Lions

Chellie: Can't stop feeding those Quail, we love them. We go to COSTCO once a month and I buy 160 lbs. of wild birdseed and 6-8 cases of cannned dog food (we have four dogs). We spend more at COSTCO on the animals than we do on us. We have lot's of Coyotes up here, one was howling last night. I fed one Coyote for over 2 years - Wylie would come here every morning at sunrise and then again at sunset. I could kneel down with a milk bone and she'd come to within 15 feet of me and I'd toss it; she loved the Kirkland canned dog food, too. She brought two different litters in to eat in those two years. Sadly, someone poisoned her and she came back here to die. I was really sad - she was almost family. Our dogs got so used to seeing her that they didn't bark anymore. I know we're not supposed to feed them, but I did it anyway and enjoyed it. I have tons of pictures, if you're interested.
Richard
Old 11-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Windwizard

Default Piper ARF

Get yourself a 1/4 scale ARF Piper, and add electric to it, its not hard to do, Pipers dont need that much power, because they are a big glider

http://wondertrail.com/radio-control...rod_14365.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4550

http://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercubs.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...000#quickSpecs
Chellie: I had a reply typed up and pushed the wrong button and it disappeared. So, I'll try again. Many thanks for all the Piper info - you really did your homework. I already have the Hangar 9 80" Piper with the E-flite Power 46, but it's still in the box. I'll probably buy the 1/4 scale Piper ARF, and then get the motor and ESC when the budget allows......my poor VISA is taking a beating . I was the 2nd one thru the door at Hobby People this morning. I got that dumb looking Blue Max for $49 - it's normally $199 - couldn't pass it up. I bought a video camera from Hobby Lobby this morning, so the Blue Max will be my first "camera plane". I also bought a KMS 4130/07 for it + I already have two Flightmax 5 cell 5000 mAh batteries for it. Will get the ESC from Hobby City; I prefer Castle Creations, but they're so dd expensive.
Richard
Old 11-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Windwizard

Default Central field

Windwizard
Hey RT: I never got to Rabbit today; when I got up this morning the wind was howling thru the pine trees, so I went to Hobby People instead. I hope to fly at the Electric Field tomorrow - will you be there? I'll either have the 6' Telemaster or the Radian again. I'm still trying to get a 1 hr. 15 min. flight in with that larger battery.
Rich
Old 11-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Hey RT: I never got to Rabbit today; when I got up this morning the wind was howling thru the pine trees, so I went to Hobby People instead. I hope to fly at the Electric Field tomorrow - will you be there? I'll either have the 6' Telemaster or the Radian again. I'm still trying to get a 1 hr. 15 min. flight in with that larger battery.
Rich
Hi ya windwizard.The weathers not looking too good for tomorrow so Im just gonna play it by ear.Keep your fingers crossed.I was able to get out there this morning.It was real nice cept'a little chilly for the first couple of flights.

Guess everybody went shopping cuz I was the only one out there.Although I did stop at harbor freight & scored me a dremel tool for 17 bux.It was agood day

Nice score on that Blue Max.It should make for a nice A.P. plane.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Windwizard

Default Turnigy question

RT: Got a question for ya. I got that 4130/07 motor for the Blue Max + I'll be using the Flightmax 5 cell 5000 mAh batteries and I don't want to pay $175 for a Phoenix ESC. I found this Turnigy 80 amp speed control at Hobby King, but what does UBEC mean? ? Is this the speed control that I need?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...=3&v=&sortlist
Rich
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Turnigy.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	114265  
Old 11-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

RT: Got a question for ya. I got that 4130/07 motor for the Blue Max + I'll be using the Flightmax 5 cell 5000 mAh batteries and I don't want to pay $175 for a Phoenix ESC. I found this Turnigy 80 amp speed control at Hobby King, but what does UBEC mean? ? Is this the speed control that I need?
Rich
Ahh,Chellie will be able to help you out better than I can with your question

I dont know why there called ubec & not just regular bec.Usually ubec are sold seperately from the esc but since this ones part of the esc you would think it would just be called a bec

Alls I can say about this esc is that they come highly reccomended by Chellie as well as many others in the know
Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Windwizard

Ahh,Chellie will be able to help you out better than I can with your question

I dont know why there called ubec & not just regular bec.Usually ubec are sold seperately from the esc but since this ones part of the esc you would think it would just be called a bec

Alls I can say about this esc is that they come highly reccomended by Chellie as well as many others in the know

OK, RT, thanks anyway. Chellie, you out there? ? Oh, by the way, it's still blowing about 30 MPH up here on the mountain. Just checked weather.com and they're calling for 6 MPH at 6 AM tomorrow and then 7 MPH from then on. Doesn't look good - maybe I can start that Blue Max build
Rich
Old 11-28-2009, 02:16 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Chellie: I had a reply typed up and pushed the wrong button and it disappeared. So, I'll try again. Many thanks for all the Piper info - you really did your homework. I already have the Hangar 9 80" Piper with the E-flite Power 46, but it's still in the box. I'll probably buy the 1/4 scale Piper ARF, and then get the motor and ESC when the budget allows......my poor VISA is taking a beating . I was the 2nd one thru the door at Hobby People this morning. I got that dumb looking Blue Max for $49 - it's normally $199 - couldn't pass it up. I bought a video camera from Hobby Lobby this morning, so the Blue Max will be my first "camera plane". I also bought a KMS 4130/07 for it + I already have two Flightmax 5 cell 5000 mAh batteries for it. Will get the ESC from Hobby City; I prefer Castle Creations, but they're so dd expensive.
Richard
Hi Richard You Cant beat the Turnigy ESC, I love them, Never a Problem with them, I always get a bigger ESC than whats needed, so it stays cooler and last longer, Sorry to hear about the Coyote getting poisoned, they help to keep the rodents down I built my work bench today, so I can work on my planes and charge up the Batteries, I will post some pics in a bit, Take care, Chellie
Old 11-28-2009, 02:24 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Rich
Hi Richard Thats a very very Nice ESC, I Use those too, UBEC Means Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit, its has a built in Switching UBEC, much much better than a weak Linear BEC, here is a little info below.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39138
Old 11-28-2009, 02:28 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

OK, RT, thanks anyway. Chellie, you out there? ? Oh, by the way, it's still blowing about 30 MPH up here on the mountain. Just checked weather.com and they're calling for 6 MPH at 6 AM tomorrow and then 7 MPH from then on. Doesn't look good - maybe I can start that Blue Max build
Rich
What 6-7 mph wind, Thats Nothing, I fly in 20 MPH wind Really, Learn to fly in the wind, you will have a blast here is my friend ERAN flying in 15 to 20 mph wind, we will get you guys to love the wind

[media]http://vimeo.com/1682344[/media]
Old 11-28-2009, 02:34 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

hi ya Chellie,what ya gonna bring out with you tomorrow if the winds arent howling
Old 11-28-2009, 02:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

hi ya Chellie,what ya gonna bring out with you tomorrow if the winds arent howling
I dont have all of my planes here, but i will bring my Mavrick Cap, My Scratch built Funjet, a wing and my pusher jet, I need to bring the rest of my planes from storage down the hill
Old 11-28-2009, 02:43 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

cool....sounds like my wings gonna be eaten your dust!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:54 AM
Windwizard

Default Central field

What 6-7 mph wind, Thats Nothing, I fly in 20 MPH wind Really, Learn to fly in the wind, you will have a blast here is my friend ERAN flying in 15 to 20 mph wind, we will get you guys to love the wind

[media]http://vimeo.com/1682344[/media]
Many thanks for that vid. Jeez, that is windy - you can hear it in the video. I'm a newbie, been flyin 2 1/2 years, so I'm still learning. Although, one day this week it was so windy at the field that I was the only one flying with three guys standing around.
Rich
Old 11-28-2009, 02:54 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

cool....sounds like my wings gonna be eaten your dust!!!
Naw, I am just a Fun Flyer, but we could make some combat Planes LOL, Here is what I did today, My work bench, and made it nice and strong, made it from a 80" x 36" door and 2x4s, its screwed to the wall, it sits on top of the wall border, just used about 6 drywall screws to hold it to the wall, its all put together with drywall screws, so its a take apart bench, and only needs 1 leg the hardest part was trying to find the studs with a small magenet and a string
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaa10 007_1.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	114273   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaa10 011_1.jpg
Views:	1367
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	114274  
Old 11-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Windwizard

Default UBEC

Hi Richard Thats a very very Nice ESC, I Use those too, UBEC Means Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit, its has a built in Switching UBEC, much much better than a weak Linear BEC, here is a little info below.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39138
Chellie: Wow, that's a ton of info - thanks much! So glad to hear that you like the Turnigy ESC - now I'll go ahead and order one. Maybe we'll see you out there tomorrow?
Rich

Quick Reply: The VictorValley High Desert Flying Aces

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12267 seconds with 14 queries