Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Wise Words from Houng-Wen Lin!

Old 01-24-2006, 04:23 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Er, thanks for that.
Firstup, the panther does not have "cheater doors", those are speedbrakes.
Secondup, some full scale aircraft(and many models) do have cheater holes or doors. None of which have SCREENS over them. For good reasons.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:34 PM
timocharis
Dave North

Quibbling aside, my favorite GWSism is the boxen that say "Slop Glider." Keep an eye out; I still see them on shelves. Can be any model of plane.

Dave
Old 01-25-2006, 01:26 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Slop glider is not a typo!

Bill is right, there are dozens of guys who would be willing to write a proper manual and correct all the Chinglishisms for free, or for a couple of pieces of reject foam. Why he does not take them up on it, I dunno. But he does not REALLY listen to the customers, he does what he is going to do, and SAYS he is listening. He's not going to rewrite a manual, that would cost a couple of cents.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:32 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

http://5822.com/com/chengyutuo/cp.php?nowmenuid=11016

plane-model.com can crank out a dozen new planes in a year.

GWS just does not have it together!

Old 01-25-2006, 03:43 AM
timocharis
Dave North

Aw, I think GWSisms are fun. All You Can Fly! What the furble does that mean anyway?

Dave
Old 01-25-2006, 06:15 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by timocharis View Post
Quibbling aside, my favorite GWSism is the boxen that say "Slop Glider." Keep an eye out; I still see them on shelves. Can be any model of plane.

Dave
I was howlin' when I got one of those, a while ago. I think it was a ME109, that listed the SLOP GLIDER version. I saw a mag add a while ago also with their "dusted fans". May have been the mag's misprint, as they listed that Feigo motors come with superb RUM (I assume PRM). I got a Feigo motor a few weeks ago, but they did not ship the Superb Rum.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Guys,
I have read through the entire thread. Please refrain from using jenglish or chinglish(isms) as these phrases are deemed an insult by many of our foreign brethren. I much prefer GWS'ism as it refers directly to the subject matter. Thank you for your cooperation.

-Mike
Old 01-25-2006, 03:48 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Fair enough.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 PM
timocharis
Dave North

Linguage?

Dave
Old 01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Col

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
I was howlin' when I got one of those, a while ago. I think it was a ME109, that listed the SLOP GLIDER version. I saw a mag add a while ago also with their "dusted fans". May have been the mag's misprint, as they listed that Feigo motors come with superb RUM (I assume PRM). I got a Feigo motor a few weeks ago, but they did not ship the Superb Rum.
Bill, what's a PRM? Is this some form of Binglish?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:52 AM
rcboatnut
Are you one of these

I Have never seen a room so full of armchair quarterbacks in my life!!!! but by all means keep discussing its a great thread for laughs.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:02 AM
Col

Originally Posted by rcboatnut View Post
I Have never seen a room so full of armchair quarterbacks in my life!!!! but by all means keep discussing its a great thread for laughs.
"Discussing". Are we reading the same thread?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:38 AM
rcboatnut
Are you one of these

Sorry for the lack of explanation, I have run into Easytiger on another discussion page and he was booted off for continually causing trouble, most of his threads were bashing GWS抯 CEO, and there products and way of doing business, and in my opinion just trying to pick a fight with someone who would defend anything GWS. Having your own opinion is fine, but it got to the point it was ridiculous, if you don抰 like it don抰 buy it, if you have constructive criticism let the manufacture people what you think and be done with it, just my thoughts. So sorry for intruding on the thread it was just bringing back fond memories of days past at the other site.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:38 PM
TopSpin

Smile

So, you found another audience huh Easytiger. You seem to have a really serious fixation of hate against GWS and Mr. Lin. The guy is in business to make money, what's wrong with that? All companies want to make money, that's why they are in business.

GWS makes a pretty good product at a decent price. They're easy to assemble and fly reasonable well. As for Lemmings? Come on, that's childish, it's only model airplanes not real ones and if you don't like them don't buy them. There are hundreds of other manufacturers out there.

The fact that you posted a letter written by a chineese man for the purpose of making fun of his english abillities tells me that you must be a really weak unit. I'm certain that he speaks more english than you speak chinese. I'm also certain that he owns a highly successful company whereas I suspect you don't. Get a new MO and lay off of the GWS hate speak junk, for the vast majority of us it's only a hobby not our whole life.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Col View Post
Bill, what's a PRM? Is this some form of Binglish?
RPM
This isn't a magazine in print.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:01 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

So glad guys registered here just to participate in this thread! That's so great!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Col

Glass houses, Bill. Glass houses.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:28 PM
rcboatnut
Are you one of these

Personally I joined this site becaue of a link from a parkflyer web sellers page, I like the fact that its just for Electric Flight, finding this thread is just a surprise to me, but I felt that I should speak my peace, because of past experience. Its tough to hide when the lights get turned up.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Gentlemen,

This is starting to degrade into personal attacks. Please either let this thread die or get it back on track. Otherwise it will need to be closed.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2006, 11:14 PM
RickAvery

Yikes! GWS really seems to be in the dog house!! Many of the gripes are most likely well founded although it would be hard to prove. I too have become a bit disenchanted awaiting a P-40 & a P-38 from GWS. Oh well, I have found much pleasure in building and flying the A-10 & P-51. My bro-in-law has built the Corsair, Tigermoth 400 & is currently working on a Me-109. GWS planes are what they are, generally well thought out, easy to construct and modify, very reasonably priced, stand off, scale looking planes. If Mr. Lin wishes to sit on his laurels and just cash in on his existing line of planes, he has that right. Someone else will eventually pick up on the market for the planes GWS won抰 produce and they will probably make a bag of cash! If Mr. Lin wishes not to pay someone to proof read the GWS manuals, he also has that right. The 態AD manuals will most likely only be a problem to a beginner builder. If too many beginner builders find the manuals to be too much of a problem, they抣l buy something else, (maybe the ghost company mentioned above will have the products we all want and readable manuals to!) Then GWS will start to lose some business. And WHEN that happens, I guarantee the powers that run GWS WILL take notice and changes will be made. So I抦 not going to dog GWS, as they have only treated me with great customer service and provided me with models that I have enjoyed building and flying at a reasonable price. I think it more appropriate to dog on FSK. Nowhere on gods green earth, is it OK in my book to charge $150.00 - $200.00 for foam!! I don抰 care how detailed their models are. But, they also have the right to do just that. And as long as there are folks willing to shell out that kind of coin for so little, they will continue to do so, as they should. God bless America.
Rick
Old 01-27-2006, 11:24 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Good post.

I only really care (and, actually, I DON'T really care!) about two things...one, that they keep promising all sorts of things, and people keep sucking it up. The other is when he starts complaining about others copying him, to me, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

Flying Styro and GWS are at absolute, complete, polar opposites of the modelling spectrum. One company makes very small runs of very high quality models with a very small and exclusive distribution chain, made by a small team of very creative lifetime dedicated modellers, the other is a big chinese factory that aims for anybody and everybody, that will wholesale to anybody who hangs their shingle out on the internet.

If you are into scale modelling, there is just no comparison between the two, Flying Styro is just in a completely, totally different league.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:24 AM
RickAvery

You are absolutly right about the scale detail between FSK & GWS. FSK models are beautifully detailed. But I find it very hard to belive it necessary to charge 2 bills to make a profit. There is less than $.30 in EPS in either FSK or GWS models. I'm sure the molds for FSK were a bit more expensive but 500% more? I highly doubt it. Maybe I'm mashing sour grapes because I want to build a P-38 BAD, but can't come to coughing up the coin for FSK. Have a good day! Happy flying.
Rick
Old 01-28-2006, 06:12 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Col View Post
Glass houses, Bill. Glass houses.
If you were paying closer attention, you would have seen that we were only sharing a bit of humor. Your point about Billy Joel's album is mute. Its okay, however. I realize their are so many with no understanding of humor.

---------------------
Dweebism is at the epitome when one trys to point out hypocracies online.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:04 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by RickAvery View Post
You are absolutly right about the scale detail between FSK & GWS. FSK models are beautifully detailed. But I find it very hard to belive it necessary to charge 2 bills to make a profit. There is less than $.30 in EPS in either FSK or GWS models. I'm sure the molds for FSK were a bit more expensive but 500% more? I highly doubt it. Maybe I'm mashing sour grapes because I want to build a P-38 BAD, but can't come to coughing up the coin for FSK. Have a good day! Happy flying.
Rick
Welll...it's like this. To make a wing for a GWS P-40(if there actually WERE one!) a subcontractor presses a button, a big foam molding machine operates, and a wing pops out. The wing gets put in a box. You are done.

To make a wing for a Flying Styro P-40, eight seperate sheets of depron foam need to be molded and trimmed, for the aileron and wing tops and bottoms, then spars get glued into place, then pushrods and bearing tubes, then the wings joined, sanded, and trimmed, and then hinges put into place, and then the whole thing is painted, plus there are about a dozen more parts for the wings on a seperate vacuform sheet for the LG knuckles, the gun ports, the landing gear wells, the drop tank, etc...and those parts are factory painted, too.
Have you seen one up close? Lot of work into one of their planes....
I know what you mean about not spending $200 on a foamie, the P-38. It's getting up there! But it's a model you will be really proud of, something that's really worth owning. I will be going for the new B-25. Wish the twins were a little cheaper, yes.
But if GWS comes out with a P-38, I will skip it. Their stuff is just not scale enough or satisfying enough for me. I had a zero, I gave it away, the model just did nothing for me, the thin cowl, the lousy canopy, the molding marks, the landing gear, the lack of scale detail...just did not move me. So a very semiscale P-38, with intentional deviations to skirt around any royalty fees, well, that's not for me.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:06 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

PS have you guys seen the Lockeed royalty list? About three dozen model manufacturers, with plenty of models selling for under $20, so you have to wonder how bad those fees can be!

Quick Reply: Wise Words from Houng-Wen Lin!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13296 seconds with 12 queries